1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default 4G on/off question

Hello all,

New to Android and the Photon (from years on a BB) - and while I think I have most of this crazy thing figured out now a couple weeks in, I do have one nagging question. On the Sprint network (Not sure if the Photon is being offered on any others just yet...) my 4G signal seems to vary wildly based on location and time of day. Now I understand cellular signals a bit, and I know that to some degree this should always be expected. But it appears that the phone isn't automatically making a reconnection.

This seems a bit odd.

Shouldn't a phone with the guts of a small computer, multiple radios and more memory than a herd of elephants be able to complete a simple task like automatically reconnecting to a 4G signal when it looses it, but it becomes available again???

The phone simply gives me an endless 'warning' notification at the top of the screen telling me that - yep, once again I've lost 4G signal. Oh yes, and by the way, if you want it back, YOU have to initiate a manual scan for the bloody thing yourself! NEENER NEENER!

Is this just me? Or is this a serious goof on the part of the developers/programers?

Thanks all!

Cheers!

Brian~

Default Re: 4G on/off question

I too am a little confused on this whole "manual connections" thing. I came from a BB Torch to the Photon. On my Torch I never touched a single connection. If I was in WiFi, it connected to WiFi. If I wanted use my Bluetooth, I simply turned on my earbud. Now I read that I should manually disable these things when not in use?

I'll be honest, I'm in my WiFi a lot, so I have not noticed the 4g deal, I'll definitely keep an eye out for it though. I just figured that once I turned 4G on it was ON... guess not...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Thats precisely it. Makes no sense at all.

For those in the know - is this isolated to being a Photon only issue or is this a known Android OS bug? The 3G doesn't have any problem connecting or re-connecting. But the 4G...yeesh!
    Last edited by uilleann; 08-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.

There's an app that can turn your radios on & off based on if your screen has been idle for 15 minutes. Might be worth a try. It's called JuiceDefender.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4g with Tapatalk

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10

Quote Originally Posted by uilleann View Post
    Thats precisely it. Makes no sense at all.

For those in the know - is this isolated to being a Photon only issue or is this a known Android OS bug? The 3G doesn't have any problem connecting or re-connecting. But the 4G...yeesh!
    I believe its more of a Sprint WiMax issue, if I remember correctly from my EVO this was the case stock but with the custom roms' they were able to code this in - I think Sprint's auto rediscover setting for WimAx is low.

but in my testing I have 4g in my building but I lose it in the Elevator - I get it back as soon as I get back off ... but I am usually on my phone the whole time when it looses the connection and regains it - not like it was idling or whatever

I have this problem too. Losing 4G is my only complaint with the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rooted)
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Being a complete newb to Android, is there any means to set the WiMax rediscover to high easily? I dont know the first thing about rooting or any of that and would likely brick the phone if I tried. Just seems that this is a silly problem for a phone of this caliber to have.