From Epic to Photon today...observations and questions

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch today after hearing about the update and the success. I couldn't stand my buggy epic anymore and the battery drain was horrible despite every trick in the book.

Day 1 of the Photon has been cool - battery seems great so far, slowly drains as opposed to 10-13% per hour outside of wifi. I changed to LauncherPro because there seemed to be no way to get all my emails in one spot; corporate, yahoo, facebook. So, by downloading LauncherPro, I use the "universal inbox" feature, which works great. I like LauncherPro so I kept it. Kinda funny since I didn't really change a thing about my Epic. Maybe that Epic wasn't so bad afterall! :)

A few small quirks though that I've been searching for answers on all night with no luck.

1. Can anyone turn off the annoying lock screen? My Epic allowed me to unlock it with a pattern that I created. This phone won't let me do that - it could be b/c of corporate email I suppose, but when I unlock, there is no security code or anything required - just that annoying lock slider which I don't like. I downloaded "no lock" app but it didn't do anything - suggestions?? I even downloaded "agile" but then i had 2 steps to unlock - agile and the stock one!

2. Can I use those volume buttons on the side to wake up the phone instead of having to press the top power button?

3. I miss having the toggles on the pull down notification bar! It was nice to pull that down and turn on and off certain function! I don't suppose there is a way to get those back up there?

4. 3g Data on/off. I can't find an app or widget that allows me to turn off 3g data. Yes, there is on for 4g, and there is the obvious one for wifi, but nothing for 3g! c'mon!!! Sometimes I need the battery last a loooong time, which means, shut off data.

Thanks Everyone!

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
There is a power widget that will at least let you turn off sync.
I miss the pull down toggles too.
I never had an issue with agile lock maybe you are missing a setting.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
And, to do the lock pattern you need to go to settings, location and security, setup screen lock. Make sure to set the timer for when display is off. You still have yul do the slider unlock before you see the lock pattern tho.

MarcD#AC

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
And, to do the lock pattern you need to go to settings, location and security, setup screen lock. Make sure to set the timer for when display is off. You still have yul do the slider unlock before you see the lock pattern tho.

i noticed this...anyone know how to make it where it you dont have to do the slide lock before you enter the pattern lock?

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I went to locations and security and then change screen lock.

I have to put in my pin code and then once in all of the options are grey out except "password - enter password to unlock screen".

The only thing I can conclude is that since i have corporate active sync, the remote administrators of my servers have set it up to only work with the pin code locking function. Fortunately, i don't have to use the pin code every time i wake up my phone - i set that for 30 minutes. However, it doesn't help my lock screen problem. Every time i wake the phone, i have to slide that bar over - at least the epic had several different slider options. This one doesn't.

also still wish i could wake the phone with the volume key!

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch today after hearing about the update and the success. I couldn't stand my buggy epic anymore and the battery drain was horrible despite every trick in the book.

Day 1 of the Photon has been cool - battery seems great so far, slowly drains as opposed to 10-13% per hour outside of wifi. I changed to LauncherPro because there seemed to be no way to get all my emails in one spot; corporate, yahoo, facebook. So, by downloading LauncherPro, I use the "universal inbox" feature, which works great. I like LauncherPro so I kept it. Kinda funny since I didn't really change a thing about my Epic. Maybe that Epic wasn't so bad afterall! :)

A few small quirks though that I've been searching for answers on all night with no luck.

1. Can anyone turn off the annoying lock screen? My Epic allowed me to unlock it with a pattern that I created. This phone won't let me do that - it could be b/c of corporate email I suppose, but when I unlock, there is no security code or anything required - just that annoying lock slider which I don't like. I downloaded "no lock" app but it didn't do anything - suggestions?? I even downloaded "agile" but then i had 2 steps to unlock - agile and the stock one!

2. Can I use those volume buttons on the side to wake up the phone instead of having to press the top power button?

3. I miss having the toggles on the pull down notification bar! It was nice to pull that down and turn on and off certain function! I don't suppose there is a way to get those back up there?

4. 3g Data on/off. I can't find an app or widget that allows me to turn off 3g data. Yes, there is on for 4g, and there is the obvious one for wifi, but nothing for 3g! c'mon!!! Sometimes I need the battery last a loooong time, which means, shut off data.

Thanks Everyone!

1. Widgetlocker can replace your lockscreen.
2. I believe widget locker allows u to set the volume buttons to unlock the phone.
3.widgetsoid can put toggles in the notification bar. Its not exactly like samsung's but its the closest u will have without rooting.
4.u can turn off data in ur wireless and network settings. It should be under data. But if that's not what u want, I believe widgetsoid also allows u to make a widget for 3g/2g toggling.
Btw.download widgetsoid 2.x

Sent from my amazing galaxy tab 10.1 which also eats ipads

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the info - can you link me to the correct app for widget locker? there are a bunch of them and don't know which one is the one you are referring to.

yes, i know i can turn off data that way, was looking for a quicker method - i know widgesoid has something for it, but it didnt' seem to work with my phone or launcherpro maybe?

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Widgetlocker lockscreen by teslacoil software.
I also found a widget called data enabler by farproc. It turns data off. Works perfect for me. Btw. Doesn't airplane mode turn data off too? U should have a pre installed airplane mode widget.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

Last edited:

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I changed from the Photon to the Epic almost two weeks ago. I echo some of your comments.

Battery life is multitudes better on stock compared to a Stock Epic. I notice the Photon drains battery much, much slower when actively using the phone compared to the Epic. Seems to drain less on sleeping mode as well. I rooted my Epic and I was able to get a day and a half with light/moderate usage using a custom ROM (usually Baked Snack was the best for battery saving) and using either Green Power or Juice Defender Ultimate. I feel I can get at least that even when actively using my Photon. Who knows how good it will be if they actually make battery-saving ROMs for the device? Haven’t seen any yet.

Rooting. Haven’t rooted yet and considering how good the battery life is, not sure if I really want to because that would be the sole purpose me rooting. It seems much more difficult on the Photon. The Epic, while tricky at first, ended up being pretty easy. Biggest issue for the Epic was the drivers. After I had that sorted out, it was really easy.

This phone is sick fast. I can’t believe how snappy it is. The Epic started slowing down after a while.

Signal is sooooo much better. The Epic had epic signal problems in my office. It would be missing signal 20% of the time and at best, I’d get two bars and it would either search or be on roaming the rest of the time. No issue so far with the Photon. I get a solid three (sometimes two) bars in my office. No roaming or signal searching at all.

Bluetooth drain is much better. Well, it wasn’t so bad on the Epic except for the Jawbone Icon. I don’t know why, but the Icon would kill the Epic’s battery, but the other devices weren’t so bad. The Icon doesn’t affect the Photon at all.

Also noticed the drag-down menu has no toggle buttons! I didn’t really pay attention to it at first, but I really notice it after your post. I never usually used them much on the Epic, but it was a “nice to have” thing.

Also some apps don’t work on the Photon. Could be a Gingerbread issue. Spare Parts force closes when opening the “battery info” section. Also, some of the Gameloft games are a little buggy and you can’t seem to download that many from their website. YouP3 doesn’t work at all (can’t even find it on the market).

I think the Epic had a better and brighter screen, even on the lowest brightness setting. Seems clearer too. Photon has a great display, though, and I really don’t have any qualms about it.

I miss Touchwiz! I actually liked it. This new Motoblur isn’t that bad, but I’m using a custom launcher (Launcher 7 pro).

Seems like fewer of those “running services” affect the Photon. Epic had a few that you had to actively disable or they’d hamper battery life. Doesn’t seem to be the case with the Photon.

All in all, I’m really happy with the Photon. I miss the Epic a bit and really miss having that physical keyboard, but the Photon is an incredible device.

Reactions: paulh13

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I changed from the Photon to the Epic almost two weeks ago. I echo some of your comments.

Battery life is multitudes better on stock compared to a Stock Epic. I notice the Photon drains battery much, much slower when actively using the phone compared to the Epic. Seems to drain less on sleeping mode as well. I rooted my Epic and I was able to get a day and a half with light/moderate usage using a custom ROM (usually Baked Snack was the best for battery saving) and using either Green Power or Juice Defender Ultimate. I feel I can get at least that even when actively using my Photon. Who knows how good it will be if they actually make battery-saving ROMs for the device? Haven?t seen any yet.

Rooting. Haven?t rooted yet and considering how good the battery life is, not sure if I really want to because that would be the sole purpose me rooting. It seems much more difficult on the Photon. The Epic, while tricky at first, ended up being pretty easy. Biggest issue for the Epic was the drivers. After I had that sorted out, it was really easy.

This phone is sick fast. I can?t believe how snappy it is. The Epic started slowing down after a while.

Signal is sooooo much better. The Epic had epic signal problems in my office. It would be missing signal 20% of the time and at best, I?d get two bars and it would either search or be on roaming the rest of the time. No issue so far with the Photon. I get a solid three (sometimes two) bars in my office. No roaming or signal searching at all.

Bluetooth drain is much better. Well, it wasn?t so bad on the Epic except for the Jawbone Icon. I don?t know why, but the Icon would kill the Epic?s battery, but the other devices weren?t so bad. The Icon doesn?t affect the Photon at all.

Also noticed the drag-down menu has no toggle buttons! I didn?t really pay attention to it at first, but I really notice it after your post. I never usually used them much on the Epic, but it was a ?nice to have? thing.

Also some apps don?t work on the Photon. Could be a Gingerbread issue. Spare Parts force closes when opening the ?battery info? section. Also, some of the Gameloft games are a little buggy and you can?t seem to download that many from their website. YouP3 doesn?t work at all (can?t even find it on the market).

I think the Epic had a better and brighter screen, even on the lowest brightness setting. Seems clearer too. Photon has a great display, though, and I really don?t have any qualms about it.

I miss Touchwiz! I actually liked it. This new Motoblur isn?t that bad, but I?m using a custom launcher (Launcher 7 pro).

Seems like fewer of those ?running services? affect the Photon. Epic had a few that you had to actively disable or they?d hamper battery life. Doesn?t seem to be the case with the Photon.

All in all, I?m really happy with the Photon. I miss the Epic a bit and really miss having that physical keyboard, but the Photon is an incredible device.

I miss touchwiz too actually - launcherpro seems to be ok and I've finally figured out how to change the stock screen unlock to another one using widget locker. it's a snappy little app for a couple bucks, but i just like it to remove the stock slider that had to vibrate for some reason. I use one similar to the htc sense version - it's easier.

The only thing left for me to do or figure out is how to wake the phone up using a different button other than that top tiny power button. i can't get to it easily ...i'll get used to it if i have to i'm sure, but there has got to be an app that lets me use the volume buttons!

You must work in my building cuz i had the same problem with my epic, low signal meant the battery was gone by noon every day (when starting at 7 or 8am). Now it's 1:15 and I have 30% left still and the display has been used almost 2.5 hours. that's a lot of display time! 2 hours or 2.5 hours was the max i could get out of the epic!

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
one more thing - not sure if i'll root either. The only reason i would do it is for battery and for wireless hotspot functionality.

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Not an expert at rooting or anything like that, but some custom ROMs have undervolted kernals that allow the phone to drain less battery, especially during sleep mode. From what I’ve noticed, the Photon drains around 2% per hour when sleeping, so anything around 1% would be amazing. I only achieved that with my Epic when using Random Rom or Baked Snack.

Oh yeah, and another thing…the Epic STILL doesn’t have Gingerbread. Can’t believe this was never released. It even took forever for the phone to get 2.2. Now that Google bought out Motorola, I can imagine we’ll see updates right away…and probably unlocked bootloaders too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888