Just got the Photon -- here are some issues I have found

HBtC

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. So I just got the Photon and I honestly don't like it. I got it as a holdover til the Epic Touch 4G comes out and now I hope that falls within the 30 day window. Maybe I'm struggling because it's my first Android phone, but I learn this crap pretty quickly and don't think that's the issue.

Anyway:

1) The charger cable is short and thick, so it's not flexible.
2) When the charger cable is plugged in, you cannot properly use the kickstand. WHY??
3) Phone eats up battery, but I know that's not just this phone.
4) Keeps telling me to reconnect to my Wifi network and doesn't let me just save it...
5) The screen often will go either vertical or horizontal when I don't want it to and can be pretty delayed in getting on the right side.

Anyone else have these issues?

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
1) buy another cable if you don't like the factory one. Monoprice has them incredibly cheap.
2) The kickstand works both ways in landscape, turn the phone so the USB port is facing up.
3) Do you have 4G on? If you're not in a 4G area turn it off. I'm only running 3G but I'm getting about 12 hours plus between charge which is insane for a smart phone, especially with a 4.3 inch screen.
4) Have not had this issue
5) Ditto.

HBtC

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
As far as the kickstand, it doesn't work the same way when the USB port is up. It's simply not as sturdy. Also, I don't have 4G on, however, I have been downloading a **** ton of apps so that could be doing it. Good suggestion with the cable though.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
As far as the kickstand, it doesn't work the same way when the USB port is up. It's simply not as sturdy. Also, I don't have 4G on, however, I have been downloading a **** ton of apps so that could be doing it. Good suggestion with the cable though.

Phones are doing this on purpose, I think the Thunderbolt was first and others are following. They want to push people to buy docks.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
the kickstand is actually extremely sturdy either way you have it, even in portrait which is cool for video calls. The issue with battery.. This is android we're talking about. It needs to adapt to your uses. When I first had the photon I too was only getting about 12 hours, but after a couple weeks I've been regularly getting over 24 hours on a charge, and this is with normal to heavy usage with wifi/3g constantly on and GPS always on. Just give it some time.

truckerj93455

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
if ur using a Advanced Task Cleaner uninstall it i was only geting 6 hours with it on my phone now that i took it out i am geting 10 plus hours i use system panel user the task kill that comes with the phone

anon(171363)

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For the WiFi issue where it keeps disconnecting I had this same problem. I found a fix for it though that works well now.

1. Go to Settings.
2. Wireless & Networks
3. Wi-Fi Settings
4. Press the Menu Button and select Advanced
5. Select Wi-Fi Sleep Policy and change it to Never.

This should fix the problem with the WiFi constantly dropping and taking forever to reconnect.

Reactions: Citizen Coyote

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
For the WiFi issue where it keeps disconnecting I had this same problem. I found a fix for it though that works well now.

1. Go to Settings.
2. Wireless & Networks
3. Wi-Fi Settings
4. Press the Menu Button and select Advanced
5. Select Wi-Fi Sleep Policy and change it to Never.

This should fix the problem with the WiFi constantly dropping and taking forever to reconnect.

Would doing this drain the battery since Wifi would always be active the majority of the day even when the screen is off?

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
wifi depletes your battery much much slower than 3g or 4g does. of course if you have no wifi connection, don't just leave it on for no reason! but if you have wifi, leave it on all the time if you want data!

anon(171363)

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Mcp6530 is right. Plus having it constantly search and try to connect to wifi will drain it. I haven't noticed much change in my battery life and know it hasn't become any worse.

slag02

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Would doing this drain the battery since Wifi would always be active the majority of the day even when the screen is off?

It would depend on how good of wifi signal you had - if it was a weak signal / slower than 3g connection it could be detrimental but if it is a strong signal the entire time it can be very beneficial

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually I've read that having WiFi sleep policy on "never" is actually better, since its not constantly going in out. Its never done me wrong.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys. So I just got the Photon and I honestly don't like it. I got it as a holdover til the Epic Touch 4G comes out and now I hope that falls within the 30 day window. Maybe I'm struggling because it's my first Android phone, but I learn this crap pretty quickly and don't think that's the issue.

Anyway:

2) When the charger cable is plugged in, you cannot properly use the kickstand. WHY??
4) Keeps telling me to reconnect to my Wifi network and doesn't let me just save it...
5) The screen often will go either vertical or horizontal when I don't want it to and can be pretty delayed in getting on the right side.

1) As someone else suggested, you can purchase a longer one. But yes, the stock one sucks.
2) I flip mine over without problems, i find the kickstand sturdy both ways.
3) My battery has been stellar, better than the 3D I had and MUCH better than the Epic. I'd check your settings and if there's a rogue app keeping your phone from sleeping.
4) As someone suggested, change the WiFi sleep policy to never. Then shut off WiFi when you're not using it.
5) Sometimes happens with me, you can change rotation to manual. I think there's a sensitivity setting, i could be wrong.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Anyway:

My impressions:
1) These are pros for me. I have a lot of long and thin cables. With this one, I can keep it by my laptop and use it to plug my phone. Less clutter!
2)Ditto.
3) I am coming from an EPIC 4G, and I think the battery on this phone rocks! Something to try, look at running apps, and consider uninstalling them.
4)Someone suggested a fix. Try it out and see if it works for you. Also, if your wifi security isn't already at WPA2, consider boosting it to that. Sometimes this helps.
5)I noticed this too, but it's less sensitive than my EPIC 4G, so I'm happy.

Last edited:

junebug72

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
i just bought the photon and was wondering if anyone has had this issue.... i tap app icons and phone does not respond.. i hit search does nothing. i can scroll through screens but apps dont respond. factory reset it and nothing. thx for any info

aaron130

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
For the screen rotation it's simple, that was bugging me too till I found the setting. Go to settings,display, and UNCHECK Auto-rotate screen.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have never used the stock cable, as it's compatible with the cables I'd already set up for my last phone.

The kickstand works okay for me both ways.

All smartphones do this. The bigger and brighter the screen, the worse it's likely to be. Drives me nuts. Mine lasts about 12 hours with moderate use and a mediocre data signal, and people seem to think that's good. Seidio plans to make an extended life battery. That may require a special back that makes the phone fatter and heavier.

I sometimes get messages, but it reconnects okay on its own, so I ignore them. It is annoying, though.

I swapped phones on an attempt to fix the "no sound on phone" problem. (or to signal to motorola that it was a serious problem.) My second unit is much worse this way than the first was. It seems to have an overly sensitive kickstand. I don't use "kickstand mode", so I disabled it, and that has pretty much solved the problem.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
i just bought the photon and was wondering if anyone has had this issue.... i tap app icons and phone does not respond.. i hit search does nothing. i can scroll through screens but apps dont respond. factory reset it and nothing. thx for any info

If your screen isn't responding even after a factory reset, take it back! That is *not* how any touch smartphone should behave.

Also, if you have a screen protector, make sure it isn't some weird, super-thick off-brand job. That's the only non-hardware reason I can think of for the behavior you describe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze