blue vs gray signal strength
02-24-2016 02:41 AM
- What does it mean to be connected to google services?
I see a swirly "sync" looking icon (see above link to photon manual). Which I took to mean it was syncing my accounts with their backend services, of which I have only google and facebook. Is that different from being connected to google services?08-31-2011 10:24 AM
- My signal strength indicator, along with the 3G, 4G and WIFI signal indicators are usually either blue or gray. What do those different colors mean?
In the photon's manual it shows both colors, but doesn't explain their significance.08-31-2011 05:48 PM
But of course I don't know.08-31-2011 06:22 PM
- AFAIK, Blue means background data is enabled and Gray means background data is disabled. The colors also switch around a few seconds while your phone switches between bands (GPRS to EDGE to 3G to 4G, etc.)
You can try it out yourselves by going to Settings -> Battery and Data Manager -> Data Delivery and then checking and unchecking the Background Data checkbox...09-01-2011 03:21 AMLike 2
- Explanation of connected to google services is correct.
Page 27 folks
"Network status icons turn green if you have a Google Account added to your phone
and the phone is connected to Google services, for syncing your Gmail, Calendar
events, contacts, for backing up your settings, and so on. If you dont have a Google
Account or if, for example, youre connected to a Wi-Fi network that is not connected
to the Internet, the network icons are white."09-01-2011 10:19 PMLike 2
- 09-05-2011 08:43 AM
- your explanations do not fit what is actually happening. I am experiencing the same thing. my phone is set to cdma only. no roaming guard, no gsm. there are verizon towers nearby with comparable signal strength. sometimes the icon is blue, sometimes the icon is grey. I don't understand either. I have tried with the same results wether my google account is attached or not.11-30-2011 02:55 AM
- With my phone the symbols are gray when background data is turned off, and blue when background data is turned on. Try turning it on and off a couple of times, see if it doesn't change the color.
You may also have an app installed (like JuiceDefender) that is doing this automatically depending on what apps you have open.11-30-2011 02:38 PM
- 12-01-2011 09:49 AM
- I have this problem too. When it goes Grey I have no internet, cant send msg's etc etc. It seems that it means the same as your wifi icon. That is to say, when it is blue you are connected to a hot spot and logged in, when it is grey you have a connection but are not logged in (able to use that connection)
So with the data icon i would presume that you are physcally (if you get mey meaning) connected (as in your phone can see the signal waves) but the signal is not authenticating your connection. I had this a while back and when I contacted my provider, they said it sounded like my sim card was failing and a free replacement sorted it fine.
Other than that I find the the annoying reboot of my phone sorts it.
I have searched the net quite a bit and no one is able to give a satisfactory answer. The background data may be correct but not to the OP query as this happens without anyone touching the settings and also I fail to see that the connection to google services makes a difference (but please correct me if i am wrong in this) as sending txt messages surely only needs you to be connected to your provider??02-13-2013 07:48 AM
As i said before the only real solution i have found is to replace my SIM, but surely that cant be it...02-18-2013 10:25 AM
- If you aren't on gsm, replacing the sim well do nothing...
Might want to try a factory reset... mine did it occasionally but always fixed itself...
Sprint, right? Try calling and have them reset your data...
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 202-18-2013 05:23 PM
- 04-03-2013 10:40 PM
- More Android Goodness
- The Archives
- Android Central Archives
- Sprint Photon
blue vs gray signal strength
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD