How do you move apps to your sd card?

dwh1996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was moving apps to my media center when I first got my photon and then I got a sd card and I can't figure out how to get apps onto it

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure you can at this time. I believe the inner storage (not phone) which is like 9 gigs is for your apps and stuff. SD card for videos and music and such. I am no expert but hopefully someone can confirm/deny.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
9 gigs is prob plenty for apps, but if Moto doesn't add the functionality, someone will if you root your phone I am sure.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
OK....a VERY IMPORTANT CAVEAT:
There is a bug on the Photon that will cause you to throw your phone against a wall unless you heed this-

Ya know how you can NORMALLY plug your Android phone into a PC and see it as a storage unit?
Ya know how when you do that, you're actually looking at your SD Card?
Ya know how the apps on your card will disappear from your home page(s) until you unplug the phone and the card re-mounts itself and in a few seconds they all magically reappear on your home screen?
Well, if you have apps on your SD Card and you plug it in....as a drive or as a simple charging device,
they will be gone when you unplug your phone. Poof. Plus, they'll be gone from your SD Card as well and there's a good chance that it'll screw your card altogether.

Don't let others kid you about formating the card in the phone first. It doesn't matter.

There's not a fix for this. But I and others have made Moto aware of it.

In the meantime, if you're feeling ballsy:

Go to FILE MANAGER (the built in app)
You'll see Internal Phone Storage (which by the way, Moto brilliantly named SD Card, thus making all our apps that store things see their partitioned portion of the memory rather than your REAL SD Card. This is the problem as a whole).

Look at Internal Phone Storage.
Click MENU
Click SELECT MULTIPLE
Mark the ones you wanna move.Press MOVE
Use the BACK arrow to take you back to the FILE MGR menu
Press SD Card (yes this really IS your removable SD Card)
If you need to create a folder, press MENU to do so.
Open whatever folder you want to put the Moved files into.
Press MOVE.

You're done.

BJ