8737 and 9016 text messages

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone get text messages from either of these numbers? the 9016 one seems to be directly tied to voicemail, but the 8737 has nothing in it except a lot of random characters.

I have called Sprint, they can't figure it out (shocking).

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Handcent causes this,in handcent press menu, application settings,and under default messaging application select disable. Problem solved

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
well, that worked, it made me stop getting strange texts but when i selected that, it also started giving me two sounds when i get a text message - two different sounds for some reason.

i went into the stock messaging app and removed notifications and even set the sound to "silent" but it didn't work.

fix one thing, break another! :)

Is it possible to remove the stock messaging app all together? or not a good idea.?

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I was getting them with gosms too for it was only like 8 times for the span of a week then they stopped.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I use handcent SMS as my default messaging app and I get messages from 9013. Although after the latest photon update (last week or the week before) I do not have as many of those 9013 text messages. I also use Google voice for my voicemail (I do not have Google voice integration with my Sprint number. I have programed my phone to forward calls to Google voice when I do not pick up.)

I called Sprint and was told that 9013 was from Sprint and the message could be due to a free subscription to Sprint visual voicemail transcription service. This is free for a short time and the user would get text messages from the service. I was told to unsubscribe, which I was never subscribed to begin with. Sprint tech reps told me to factory reset my phone. I did not do a factory reset as I did not have a whole day available to personalize my phone after the reset.

As I said, the latest ota photon update seems to have stopped the 9013 daily text messages. The 9013 occurred whenever I would restart my phone in the morning or update my prl.

vintagetechtm (Motorola Photon 4g)

Vgamer4550

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found an answer to the mysterious 8737 number but it turns out the voicemail issue is related to third party SMS apps.

It turns out GoSMS was the culprit that was breaking my Visual Voicemail and causing me to receive the 9016 voicemail texts.

Apparently if you go into settings for GOSMS>>then Advanced>>the Receive Settings, there is an option for "Disable other Message notification".

With that option checked, it will actually disable all other SMS services and that will mess up the visual voicemail because I guess that receives a form of text message that tells it you have a voicemail and to go and get it.

Once I unchecked this option, and rebooted my phone, I began to get all my missing voicemails. So for anyone else who is having this issue, I hope this clarifies.

This link explains it a bit further...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1279644&page=2

BMGRAHAM

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will help you but my wife started receiving these messages on her cellphone and we could not figure out why. Blocking texts from that number did not help. I had been using my wife's old phone as a wifi device while my phone is being repaired, without actually activating it, and since the problem had been occurring since I started doing this, I was thinking there might be a connection but could not figure out what it was. Then this evening I was in the room at the same time as my wife got a voicemail notification on her phone, and at the same time I got a notification on her old phone too! This seems very odd because her old phone should not be associated with her number any more, but it seems to be. Then I figured out what was causing the messages. Every time I switch on her old phone, she gets the text message from 8737 on her new phone. I was able to reproduce this three times in a row this evening.

In the cases here, it seems slightly different because you're actually receiving the text messages every time you reboot, but maybe what I have shared with you here will help you to figure out what's going on. It is a text message that is automatically generated by Sprint every time the phone is switched on. I would guess that the phone is supposed to catch that message and not display it but something on your phones (Handcent?) is preventing the message from being suppressed. In my case it's not being supressed because a different phone is causing the message. It may actually be related to Google Voice since I have Google Voice on the old phone (I googled "8737 Google Voice" and the results suggested there might be a link also).

This is actually quite troubling because it means that if you send a phone back to Sprint and someone does the same as me - i.e. use the phone's wifi features without activitating it - then you are going to get these weird messages on your new phone every time someone switches on your old phone!

Traderkat64

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a photon and I get the 8737 texts ever since they did the update in august. I don't have handcent or go sms. I deleted all downloaded apps and still get the stupid texts at all hours of the day and night. Sprint has no clue. It has something to do with the update. It started the day I updated. I want it to go away!

klaus2346

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I just started getting these texts after I connected to a Verizon Hotspot from a Sprint phone. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I tried a restart, and changing the "disable other notifications" in gosms. I haven't gotten anymore so far. It's been about an hour since the last one.

chunter69

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
i have a motorola and i went to my menu and went into acsounts setting but i did not see where i could go to default messaging please help

Michaela Jackson

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
My room mate has the Samsung Galaxy (the original) and she's been getting the 9016. It came in about a half an hour ago...6:15 in the morning! There are no third party SMS apps installed on her phone...that we know of, but she did have that free trial for the visual voicemail. How do we stop this since Sprint won't fix it?

Marty Culbert

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
8737 messages are short codes coming from Sparkle Telecom.

To end the messages, reply STOP - a few minutes later you will get a reply confirming the end of the messages.

My guess is the phone got tagged when we roamed on a Sparkle-connected network. This is only a guess...

/M

- - - Updated - - -

8737 messages are short codes coming from Sparkle Telecom.

To end the messages, reply STOP - a few minutes later you will get a reply confirming the end of the messages.

My guess is the phone got tagged when we roamed on a Sparkle-connected network. This is only a guess...

/M

Hypervolt

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I had been getting these. I figured why not send a "STOP" message. Here is the last message received:

You will not receive further alerts from *Sparkle*. Questions 1-877-744-3358

Sprint user here, using Samsung galaxy note II, APPS: Go SMS and visual voicemail.

sfbaywalk

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I have Andriod on MotoX. I use the Messenger that came with the phone. Also I see Google Hangouts on my phone.

Two days ago, I started having this problem (9016). So I uninstalled the latest software update to Messenger, and the problem appears to have gone away.

Hope that helps.

DreamBlueonE

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if this will help you but my wife started receiving these messages on her cellphone and we could not figure out why. Blocking texts from that number did not help. I had been using my wife's old phone as a wifi device while my phone is being repaired, without actually activating it, and since the problem had been occurring since I started doing this, I was thinking there might be a connection but could not figure out what it was. Then this evening I was in the room at the same time as my wife got a voicemail notification on her phone, and at the same time I got a notification on her old phone too! This seems very odd because her old phone should not be associated with her number any more, but it seems to be. Then I figured out what was causing the messages. Every time I switch on her old phone, she gets the text message from 8737 on her new phone. I was able to reproduce this three times in a row this evening.

In the cases here, it seems slightly different because you're actually receiving the text messages every time you reboot, but maybe what I have shared with you here will help you to figure out what's going on. It is a text message that is automatically generated by Sprint every time the phone is switched on. I would guess that the phone is supposed to catch that message and not display it but something on your phones (Handcent?) is preventing the message from being suppressed. In my case it's not being supressed because a different phone is causing the message. It may actually be related to Google Voice since I have Google Voice on the old phone (I googled "8737 Google Voice" and the results suggested there might be a link also).

This is actually quite troubling because it means that if you send a phone back to Sprint and someone does the same as me - i.e. use the phone's wifi features without activitating it - then you are going to get these weird messages on your new phone every time someone switches on your old phone!

Your answer is the only thing that make since everyone else just sounds like they don't know what they are talking about. I have never used any of the apps everyone is claiming cause this, but I did just deactivate my tablet from my line and my phone keeps crashing saying SD card detached and forces me to restart my phone with a pop up. then when my phone come's back on I get the same text from 8737 twice, this could be happening when the tablet gets turned on. I figured a virus, caused by deleting some of my apps or something but it's been days since I did that.

nuxbag

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

You are using a phone that still has the activation information tied to your account. There is an app installed on your old phone that is receiving system messages. Normally text messaging apps will ignore these messages. But the app that the message is intended for is not installed on the new phone so it displays them as a text. If you factory reset the old phone this will stop. Which is what sprint does when they receive a phone. So no sprint never give a phone out with someone's else's account information tied to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88