Disappearing App's

rhleek

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Love the Photon, however, what I thought might be an irritant ever so often is becoming a daily headache. Since activating about 45 days ago, occasionally I would have app's disappear from both their on screen place and in the app drawer. I would try to search only to be told app was not installed. I would do a soft reset and they would come back. Now, this is happening many times daily, And soft resets are not restoring all apps. I have done a hard reset, which appeared to work until a couple days ago and now it is happening again. The missing apps are both on sd card and internal, so it does not appear to be an sd card issue. Any thoughts? Also, my sd card is not being recognized at times. Helpful input is appreciated.

beantown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had similar issues. I would turn off my phone and turn back on and usually have one or 2 apps disappear whereas prior to shutting the phone off they were installed. I go thru settings > applications > manage applications > all, and will show up but not as installed. I would then have to go to the market and reinstall. I've also noticed by shutting off my phone and turning it back on, same of my apps installed will show up in the market to update, when in fact I already updated to the latest version...not sure as to where either of these instances occurs, if anybody has any ideas, would love to hear it.....thanks

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I keep all my apps installed to the phones memory and haven't had any problems at all. With this phone there's no need at all to move the apps to the sd card.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Love the Photon, however, what I thought might be an irritant ever so often is becoming a daily headache. Since activating about 45 days ago, occasionally I would have app's disappear from both their on screen place and in the app drawer. I would try to search only to be told app was not installed. I would do a soft reset and they would come back. Now, this is happening many times daily, And soft resets are not restoring all apps. I have done a hard reset, which appeared to work until a couple days ago and now it is happening again. The missing apps are both on sd card and internal, so it does not appear to be an sd card issue. Any thoughts? Also, my sd card is not being recognized at times. Helpful input is appreciated.

I have all my applications installed on my photon's memory and I have no problems with disappearing applications.

vintagetechtm (Motorola Photon 4g)

opec

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
this happened on my atrix (basically, the same phone as the photon). It's the apps on the sd card that dissappear, and I just ended up keeping all my apps on my phone memory.

LancerzRalliart

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
this happened on my atrix (basically, the same phone as the photon). It's the apps on the sd card that dissappear, and I just ended up keeping all my apps on my phone memory.

That makes complete sense, I mean theres about almost 3gb just for apps or maybe less. I have 76 apps installed on the phone memory and still have 2.2gb left for more apps.

rap1

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same thing happen on an Archos 43 IT runing froyo. I run launcher pro and I've wondered if it was related. I'm not sure if it might have something to do with having to do reset while the app was open. Haven't narrowed it down that far yet.

jimweda

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you guys are running on Froyo I think that might be the issue because it's not just happening on your phones. It is also happening on my phone which is running Froyo but on a Samsung Epic 4G. I have to keep rebooting the phone until they do show up. Taking the battery out seems to work better than just doing a soft restart. Hope this helps. I'm hoping Gingerbread fixes this problem if it finally comes out for the Epic 4G. Sprint is aware of the SD issue on their phones so I'm thinking it has to do with the system software because its happening on other phones as well.

Jim

fib.seq

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had a similar problem. Occasionally, apps will disappear from their location on the home screens. They will still be there in the main applications drawer, and so I do not have to go back and re-install from the market. And yes, I install all applications on my phone's internal memory.

rhleek

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Took phone to Sprint yesterday and worked with repair tech. After some testing he said the problem was with running ATK task killer and Lookout app. Then after some discussion, we uninstalled both and some 18 hours later have not had the issue, yet. Will keep you posted on whether this is a permanent fix. Thanks for your help.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Took phone to Sprint yesterday and worked with repair tech. After some testing he said the problem was with running ATK task killer and Lookout app. Then after some discussion, we uninstalled both and some 18 hours later have not had the issue, yet. Will keep you posted on whether this is a permanent fix. Thanks for your help.

Task killers do more harm than good.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had the photon since launch day, and have never seen this problem. I am running the stock launcher, no task killer, and all my apps are on internal memory.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have this happen sometimes, it's very frustrating. I have a few apps on my various home screens, and sometimes the icon will simply disappear, replaced by the blue cog "loading" icon. Pressing that gives you the error "This application is not installed." Sometimes I can simply remove it and find it again in my app drawer, but more often than not it's simply gone from the phone entirely. I notice it more often after I've updated apps, and it's not always the ones I've updated that vanish.

What's even more bizarre is that even if the phone doesn't think the app exists anymore (no icon, missing from the app drawer, etc.), I can go to the Market and launch the app from there just fine. Rebooting fixes the problem only half the time. The only way I can consistently get the app back is to uninstall it using the Market, then reinstall it.

I've wondered if it had something to do with using the phone's internal media storage area (the virtual SD card) as opposed to using default storage. I developed a habit of shoving everything on my SD card if I could with my old Evo, but maybe I'll refrain the next time this happens. Even so, this is an annoying glitch.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I DO NOT use either of these and it's happened to me more than once. Hate to burst your bubble, but thats not the solution

rhleek

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
2 days post removal of task killer and Lookout per Sprint Tech and phone is back to disappearing apps and on occasion not recognizing sd card. Back to square one.

ibtrubl

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, it appears the disappearing apps is because the Bionic, by design, does not recognize apps placed on the sd card. I am waiting to hear if anyone comes up with a work-around.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
2 days post removal of task killer and Lookout per Sprint Tech and phone is back to disappearing apps and on occasion not recognizing sd card. Back to square one.

I have been running lookout with an stock nonrooted moto interface since August 1 (when I got the photon) and I do not have the dissappearing app issue. I also do not run atk or any other automatic task killer.

vintagetechtm (Motorola Photon 4g)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781