physical keyboard

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Only if it was a slider like the Torch. I would hate to lose the screen at all. With that said, I would LOVE a vertical slider similar to the Torch, with the size of the Photon/EVO screen. I don't mind a little bulk for convenience.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not. From being a previous Epic owner, you eventually just don't even use the keyboard anymore, and then wish that your phone was thinner -__- lol.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

panaguy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
A Photon with a physical keyboard is called the Droid 3 and it's only available on Verizon :(

It is the closest Moto phone to what you are looking for and essentially the SAME as the Photon, albeit with a different Dual Core processor and Video (Qualcom Snapdragon with Adreno video), 1080P Video receord instead of 720P and interestingly enough NO 4G (or LTE for Verizon) and lastly no kickstand :p (Also it has a LOT of the usual Verizon crapware)

However, playing with my friends Droid 3 reminds me so much of the Photon and it's performance is so similar (at least on 3G) to my Photon. Sound, signal strength and call quality is equally as good ;)

If you're really after 4G and don't care about a World phone then of course the other Verizon Moto phone to consider is the Droid Bionic that does NOT have a physical keyboard but is loaded with specs and performance to the Photon.

Anyway, I like my PHOTON the best :D !

jadiff

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I miss a keyboard terribly! It would have to be portrait though, I hate to have to spin the phone to use it.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I miss a keyboard terribly! It would have to be portrait though, I hate to have to spin the phone to use it.

The phone you seek is the rumored PAX. It is an XPRT with a larger higher resolution screen and 4G.
I have been using the Photon and my wife's XPRT.
The more I use the Photon , the more I like the XPRT.
I just like the physical keyboard.
Im speaking business uses only

For everything else the Photon is amazing
Im tempted to buy the external keyboard for the Photon
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...FAtrix-Wireless-Keyboard-US-EN&token=6284Pk4h

I think using this keyboard with the Photon on the stand/dock or tied to hdmi makes it a viable solution

Last edited:

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I would love the MoPho with a keyboard. I switched back to my Pre until Sprint comes out with something. I like the rumored Pax but October 2nd has long come and gone.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I would love the MoPho with a keyboard. I switched back to my Pre until Sprint comes out with something. I like the rumored Pax but October 2nd has long come and gone.

Coming from the Torch, I would ask if you tried using Swype (for a week+)? When I first got the Photon I was about to give up, missing my Torch keyboard. But, I started using Swype and I probably type as fast with Swype as I did with my BB keyboard.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I like you want the Pax
I have been using an XPRT and a Photon
I love the ease of use of the xprt. It reminds me of a Pre/Pixi
But I really like the versatility of the Photon
Had I never been teased by Pax rumor i would have been ok.
What I really like about the Photon is that if you bring a keyboard with you. You can leave your laptop home. I have been told there are some other soft keyboards that can be used on a Photon and I will try one of those also.
As my wife pointed out to me. Why should we buy an XPRT for $99 when a Photon is $99 and 4G
I hate it when she makes sense:)

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Torch, I would ask if you tried using Swype (for a week+)? When I first got the Photon I was about to give up, missing my Torch keyboard. But, I started using Swype and I probably type as fast with Swype as I did with my BB keyboard.

Yes I tried. I have heard that it worked well for others but I was worse with that than with GoKeyboard. That's the keyboard I liked the best.

jimmiegeddes

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
The Photon is my first Android phone in a while, had a G1. I finally gave up on webOS and ditched my Pre for the Photon. I love the Photon and Android. I just really miss the physical keyboard of my Pre or previous Treos.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I really missed my physical keyboard when I got the EVO 4G and tried using Swype but I press to hard on the screen for my finger to "swype" across smoothly. I now use Thumb Keyboard on my MoPho and haven't looked back since.

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I resisted leaving my beloved Blackberry for exactly that reason: I was used to the physical keyboard. I adjusted to the concept of typing on the glass in about a week. I love the bigger screen, and the improved capabilities of Android.

Sent using my Motorola Photon

erinpac

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

I keep trying Swype, getting angry at it, and then trying it again because so many say it is good... trying so hard to give it time... got the Photon launch day, and if my Pre hadn't broken, I'd be back on that. Instead, I often end up avoiding emailing or texting anymore, and try to wait to get to a computer - it's just so frustrating. I can type very short texts or emails if I turn Swype off, but with it on it "corrects" every word to something completely unrelated to what I'm typing about 10 times and I must spend several times the time fighting with it that it takes to slowly, carefully peck out each letter. I could type so fast on the Pre, and the auto correct there was nice - and didn't force itself in, if it ever was wrong. I'd take a phone twice as thick if it had a good keyboard.

mikefrombx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have an old school incredible rooted running cm 7.1 I put swyoe on it and can only really use it when I need one hand otherwise I use the stock gb virtual keyboard sure there are times when I get frustrated with it, but more often than not my typing is probally three times faster than any physical keyboard or swype type keyboard. Give yourself a week and get used to not having to click each button and you will suprised what you can do

sent from my incredible

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I keep trying Swype, getting angry at it, and then trying it again because so many say it is good... trying so hard to give it time... got the Photon launch day, and if my Pre hadn't broken, I'd be back on that. Instead, I often end up avoiding emailing or texting anymore, and try to wait to get to a computer - it's just so frustrating. I can type very short texts or emails if I turn Swype off, but with it on it "corrects" every word to something completely unrelated to what I'm typing about 10 times and I must spend several times the time fighting with it that it takes to slowly, carefully peck out each letter. I could type so fast on the Pre, and the auto correct there was nice - and didn't force itself in, if it ever was wrong. I'd take a phone twice as thick if it had a good keyboard.

Is it set to "English"? I have a ton of trouble when the language setting gets off.

I find that once I spell out a word for it, it adds that word to the things it expects me to type, so it gets easier and easier to use. I still miss a real keyboard, but it's okay.

I wish I could remove words, though. whenever I type a "2" it wants to write something dumb like "2moro". The instructions suggest I can select that word and remove it from the dictionary, but I don't seem to be able to actually do that in practice. Instead, it gives me a choice of

Select word
Select all
Paste
Input Method
Add "2moro" to dictionary

But "2moro" must already be in the friggin dictionary, or it wouldn't come up. That's just one example, there are several other non-words that I'd like to eradicate. If anyone knows how, please pass it along.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol