Rom suggestions/recommendations?

lapk78

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
So this Photon is my 1st android device. I've had this Photon for about 1.5 months. What rom(s) should I try? Why? What advantages will it offer it over another rom? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: zooradley

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised with the lack of ROM activity with this phone. They don't even have a ROM section in this forum. I haven't rooted yet, mostly because of the lack of ROM activity and because this phone is still really good in stock form.

Personally, I want a ROM that increases battery life. I'm more than satisfied with the phone's speed and want an undervolted ROM that saves battery life when sleep mode.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Im currently using Alien rom, and although it doesn't improve battery as much as I'd hoped, other small features make it very nice, like gingerbread launcher, actually battery percentage displayed (without having to use an app) and it even has more accurate readings of 3g, wifi, and signal

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

zooradley

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So this Photon is my 1st android device. I've had this Photon for about 1.5 months. What rom(s) should I try? Why? What advantages will it offer it over another rom? Thanks in advance.

Same here, coming from webOS on the Palm Pre and I've been holding off til i have more info. I was hoping to see some more responses here. Guess I have some thread-searching to do. Thanks for asking this tho..

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. The reason I switched to Alien is, simply, I love change. Im one of those people that always enjoys changing either the look or feel of an android phone. I've been happy with alien, but they finally have an alpha version out of CM7 so I'll be installing that this week and will let you all know how that is.

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised with the lack of ROM activity with this phone. They don't even have a ROM section in this forum. I haven't rooted yet, mostly because of the lack of ROM activity and because this phone is still really good in stock form.

Personally, I want a ROM that increases battery life. I'm more than satisfied with the phone's speed and want an undervolted ROM that saves battery life when sleep mode.

There are only a few devs currently deving for the Photon. Yay is working on the unlock/4G issue while supplying us with rooted/deodexed updates. There are two devs working on CM7, cybik on the GSM side and mrinehart93 on the CDMA side. There's shabbypenguin working on kernels and seanzscreams on HomeBase (but he's on vacation/tour right now). Webtop improvements is my main focus while also trying to get webtop up and running on CM7 which is still in an early alpha. We have other devs that are on the Atrix that pop in and give us little gems like Alien, clockworkmod, bootstrap and more.

To be blunt, I like the small dev community on the MoPho. All the MoPho needs are rooted stock, stripped stock, kernels and AOSP/CM7. beyond that it's mostly themes. I think this is something that the Evo community has forgotten with it's +9999 flavors of vanilla.

RwP1138

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree i rather have a few good real roms than a "new rom" that was just themed to look differnt. good things come to those who wait

KTT16

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. The reason I switched to Alien is, simply, I love change. Im one of those people that always enjoys changing either the look or feel of an android phone. I've been happy with alien, but they finally have an alpha version out of CM7 so I'll be installing that this week and will let you all know how that is.

Totally agree with Alien ROM themeing...it looks great...I'm actually back to stock now since the latest SBF was released by Yay...but I'm hoping to learn how to theme and have some fun...or maybe I should just wait for CM7..or ICS (maybe?)..

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
There are only a few devs currently deving for the Photon. Yay is working on the unlock/4G issue while supplying us with rooted/deodexed updates. There are two devs working on CM7, cybik on the GSM side and mrinehart93 on the CDMA side. There's shabbypenguin working on kernels and seanzscreams on HomeBase (but he's on vacation/tour right now). Webtop improvements is my main focus while also trying to get webtop up and running on CM7 which is still in an early alpha. We have other devs that are on the Atrix that pop in and give us little gems like Alien, clockworkmod, bootstrap and more.

To be blunt, I like the small dev community on the MoPho. All the MoPho needs are rooted stock, stripped stock, kernels and AOSP/CM7. beyond that it's mostly themes. I think this is something that the Evo community has forgotten with it's +9999 flavors of vanilla.

Do you guys plan to package ICS?