Seriously, IMAP doesn't work?

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I use godaddy to host my mail. The stock app won't work with IMAP to save my life. I've been online and don't see anything that actually answers the question other than to download maildroid for $20. Has anyone been able to get imap to work and sync correctly? If not, what mail app are you using?
I'm really enjoying this phone and don't miss Sense as much as a thought, but this mail issue sucks!

Thanks

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I could not get IMAP to work, either. I bought MailDroid. Expensive, but works great! I can check multiple email accounts in it, as well as sub-folders.

Sent using my Motorola Photon

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the stock email app with my IMAP gmail account.

Are you syncing appropriately through imap? I find that items deleted on my phone are not reflected on the server, Are there any settings you can recommend to make this work? You may be the first person to crack this code.
thanks

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help? The K9 and maildroid programs aren't as good as stock and I'd hate to use the ram for multiple email programs to run. Any ideas? Thank you.

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Really? How so?

Sent using my Motorola Photon

Maildroid (the free version) has issues connecting to IMAP as well, at least using SSL. The interface seems a bit clunky to me too. I also noticed that whenever I reply to an email, it CC's me on the response. I can't seem to fix that. Any ideas?

K-9 isn't terrible but I can't turn off the audio notification and with the volume of emails I get, that can be obnoxious. I can turn off all notifications on the phone but then I don't get dinged when I get a text.

I was so excited to switch from the Evo 3D and the signal is so much better on this phone but the stock email app doesn't work...rooting to allow for wifi hotspot on 4G doesn't work. Unlocking the bootloader breaks 4G. Sort of upset that I threw $200 down on this.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Maildroid (the free version) has issues connecting to IMAP as well, at least using SSL. The interface seems a bit clunky to me too. I also noticed that whenever I reply to an email, it CC's me on the response. I can't seem to fix that. Any ideas?

K-9 isn't terrible but I can't turn off the audio notification and with the volume of emails I get, that can be obnoxious. I can turn off all notifications on the phone but then I don't get dinged when I get a text.

I was so excited to switch from the Evo 3D and the signal is so much better on this phone but the stock email app doesn't work...rooting to allow for wifi hotspot on 4G doesn't work. Unlocking the bootloader breaks 4G. Sort of upset that I threw $200 down on this.

I have never used the stock email program, but I have a fair amount of experience with K9 now.

K9 gives you the option (at the account level) as to whether or not to bcc yourself.
K9 does give an "audio notification" for all messages, but one of the default options for the sound is "silent". I use this, as I also get a lot of mail and would go nuts if my phone beeped every time something new came in. It also allows you to select whether or not to vibrate on new mail, whether or not to send a notification to the status bar, whether or not to have an LED notification, and if so, choose the color of the notification. None of these choices will affect your text message notifications in any way.

All these K9 settings exist at the account level (not the global level) and it can be a little hard to get into the account-level options if you don't know where to look for them. You have to be in the account (not the combined inbox) then select "menu", then "more", then "settings", and then "account settings". If you want all your accounts to behave the same, it's a little bit of a nuisance that you have to set everything for each one separately. On the other hand, you only have to do it once, and it does give you fine control over the notifications you get.

I've been pretty satisfied with K9. And it's free. As in, really free. It doesn't even serve you ads or stuff.

Reactions: colestein

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughful and VERY helpful response!! I'll give it a shot.

I have never used the stock email program, but I have a fair amount of experience with K9 now.

K9 gives you the option (at the account level) as to whether or not to bcc yourself.
K9 does give an "audio notification" for all messages, but one of the default options for the sound is "silent". I use this, as I also get a lot of mail and would go nuts if my phone beeped every time something new came in. It also allows you to select whether or not to vibrate on new mail, whether or not to send a notification to the status bar, whether or not to have an LED notification, and if so, choose the color of the notification. None of these choices will affect your text message notifications in any way.

All these K9 settings exist at the account level (not the global level) and it can be a little hard to get into the account-level options if you don't know where to look for them. You have to be in the account (not the combined inbox) then select "menu", then "more", then "settings", and then "account settings". If you want all your accounts to behave the same, it's a little bit of a nuisance that you have to set everything for each one separately. On the other hand, you only have to do it once, and it does give you fine control over the notifications you get.

I've been pretty satisfied with K9. And it's free. As in, really free. It doesn't even serve you ads or stuff.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Puzzlegal, I really want to use K9 or Kaiten for all of the reasons you've listed above. However, here are my challenges with both programs and maybe you can help me.

1. If I scroll down to the middle of my inbox to read a few messages
then switch to a different app; when I switch back to K9/Kaiten, the inbox automatically scrolls back to the top. Therefore, I lose my place EVERY TIME and have to remember how far down I was in the inbox. Any fix for this?

2. When reading an email in Kaiten, is it possible to make the LEFT navigational arrow bring up the next NEWEST email (going UP in the inbox) instead of the next oldest (down) email? (This works perfectly in K9)

3. When reading an email, if I switch to another app then return to the email, none of the navigational buttons work (ie. the arrows or volume buttons) to allow me to move on to another email. I must hit the back arrow to get to the email list which of course automatically scrolls all the way back to the top of my inbox and loses my place. ARGH!!!! (see #1)

4. Is it possible to change the font color in the signature and when
composing new emails?

5. Is it possible to change the font type (ie. Times New Roman,
Courier, etc.) in the signature and when composing new emails?

Is there another IMAP client out there that does NOT have these issues? In addition to K9 and Kaiten, I've tried Enhanced Mail, Touchdown, MailDroid, Moxier Mail, and the stock app of course. They all seem to have various issues. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of an app. The stock email app on my Palm Pre worked well for me! :D

colestein

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it since yesterday.... I love it! Thanks again.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Puzzlegal, I really want to use K9 or Kaiten for all of the reasons you've listed above. However, here are my challenges with both programs and maybe you can help me.

1. If I scroll down to the middle of my inbox to read a few messages
then switch to a different app; when I switch back to K9/Kaiten, the inbox automatically scrolls back to the top. Therefore, I lose my place EVERY TIME and have to remember how far down I was in the inbox. Any fix for this?
I use Perfect Task Switcher, set to be active on a long press of the "search" button. The chief reason I use it is that it gets around this problem. It alwasy shows two different icons for K9 (the same icon twice) and the one to the left in the list will bring me to where I was. Note that with these settings, Perfect Task Switcher isn't always available, as some applications seem to disable the long-press of the search button. But it mostly works.

2. When reading an email in Kaiten, is it possible to make the LEFT navigational arrow bring up the next NEWEST email (going UP in the inbox) instead of the next oldest (down) email? (This works perfectly in K9)
I'm not sure what navigational buttons you are talking about, and have never used Kaiten, so can't help you here.

3. When reading an email, if I switch to another app then return to the email, none of the navigational buttons work (ie. the arrows or volume buttons) to allow me to move on to another email. I must hit the back arrow to get to the email list which of course automatically scrolls all the way back to the top of my inbox and loses my place. ARGH!!!! (see #1)
Again, I'm not sure what navigational buttons you have. But if I am in an email, then go to another application (with Perfect Task Switcher) then return to the email (same) I can still swipe left or right to move to the next or previous email. I like that feature.

4. Is it possible to change the font color in the signature and when
composing new emails?
I don't think so. I have my default set to "plain text", not HTML, so this isn't anything I've ever looked for, but I can't think where it would be hidden. I do get the sense that K9 is written for for the techie, and thus it supports "Pine" format and plain text.

5. Is it possible to change the font type (ie. Times New Roman,
Courier, etc.) in the signature and when composing new emails?
ditto above

Is there another IMAP client out there that does NOT have these issues? In addition to K9 and Kaiten, I've tried Enhanced Mail, Touchdown, MailDroid, Moxier Mail, and the stock app of course. They all seem to have various issues. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of an app. The stock email app on my Palm Pre worked well for me! :D
Dunno. I've been pretty happy with K9 so I haven't shopped. I had trouble with the Pre email because

1) It didn't do plain text. This was a problem for some of my correspondents.
2) It sometimes messed up forwarded HTML and introduced weird control characters into what I intended to type. This dissaded me from using it at all in certain situations, when I was afraid it would make my post look bizarre or distracting.

I also had trouble getting the Pre to use multiple "from" addresses that went through the same internet client. Since I am subscribed to different mailing lists with different addresses (from my own domain) this was a nuisance. I was very happy to learn that K9 handles this cleanly.

I agree that K9 isn't perfect, and in some ways I preferred the 3rd party email app I had on my Treo. But I'm pretty happy with it.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response! I had a lot of trouble with Perfect Task Switcher previously but I guess I'll give it a try again. If you are just looking at your inbox, somewhere deep inside, can you switch to a different app and have PT bring you right back to the same place in your inbox or do you have to actually have an email open to be able to return to the same email?

Is it possible to configure PT to get activated on a long press of the home button instead of the search button? I already have the long press of the search button configured to do all sorts of cool things and I would not want to change that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC