PS3 controller setup for Shadowgun (photon tested only)

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody!!! so are you wanting to play ur nice new tegra game on your tv using a controller but dont have any means to connect one with a wire? you are in luck because i figured out how to get the PS3 controller to work with this game and how to map the buttons out.(MUST BE ROOTED!!!)

first off you need to get the Sixaxix controller app. this allows you to connect your PS3 controller to your phone. Also visit the devs website on your pc to install the SixaxispairTool utility. Follow the easy step by step instructions on the website and you should be able to connect the controller to your phone.

Next after enabling the Sixaxis controller as the input method you need to go to the controller settings and check the box next to Bypass IME. This allows the input to simulate a hardware keyboard
Then go to Input Mappings and tap on 1st controller mappings.

controller mappings to be able to play the game. should be self explanatory

dpad center is for fire i set that to both R2 and R! plus the start key to be able to select menu options.
7 is for reload and i set that to L1 and L2
J is for analog 2 left
L is for analog 2 right
I is for analog 2 up
K is for analog 2 down
dpad left for analog 1 left
dpad right for analog 1 right
dpad up for analog 1 up
dpad down for analog 1 down
back for select which pause the game
now for the weapons. (only figured out for two)
A is for shotgun set that to square
D is for SMG set that to x
W is for Shotgun and i have that at Triangle
guessing S is for the 4th weapon but will verify if need to

Last edited:

Bratag

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this mate. Good times with this game though I had to turn down my sensitivity on aim. Now if I could just figure out how to kill that bloody cylcobot.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
If that is the first boss you fight then you need to wait til you a green icon appear over his head that moves in Ann arc from right to left. Shoot that

NZtechfreak

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh, that is seriously awesome work there dude, just today found out that my SGSII works with Sixaxis Controller (it didn't before, but an update has sorted it). Tried it in Shadowgun and only had movement controls and couldn't configure the others, will try this out tomorrow (I smell some HDTV Shadowgun coming on!).

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I play this game using the discuss controller app. Basically just kept mapping the keys to different options and testing it out. Took about an hour to do.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
well i didn't spend the full hour mapping keys. It took about an hour for the process of getting the game, playing it a bit, setting up the ps3 controller for the first time to connect to my phone, and so on.

what helped out a lot was actually looking at a physical keyboard. i tried all the standard stuff first like tab, ctrl, and so on. none of that worked so i just started looking at what is use for basic movement. I knew about w a s d being for forward back and side to side so i tried those for being able to look around and they didn't work. so i just looked across to j k l i and thought maybe those do it since they are in the same layout of w a s d but on the other end of the keyboard. and sure enough they were the buttons used for aiming. the rest was just good assumptions and lucky guesses.

also i'm hoping that future games use this layout too. would be nice right? lol

besides doing this for me was just me giving back to a community that has teached me and helped me alot. i can't read or write code but i can figure out how to use something and map buttons!!! :D

on another note we should ask madfinger games to allow gamepad support for Samurai II unless it already is and i just don't know it.

Camaros_Kill

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for this guide. One question though...for those of you playing with a dualshock 3 and sixaxis, what version of shadowgun are you playing? On 1.0 the controller was perfect but now that ive updated to 1.02(which i had to do to get individual levels cuz i beat the game) it holds buttons down longer than it should and i cant play right anymore. Anyone else have this issue and figure out a fix?

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I'll have to test when I get home this Friday. Don't have my controller with me and never tried it after the update. Been using on screen controls

Eerth

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I have an Asus Transformer and when I use your setup the steering in Shadowgun is really bad. Because we have to map buttons to analog pads. So you will always turn around at the same speed, no matter how far you press your stick.
When I connect my ps3 controller wired, the steering is great.

I think we should have an option to map the sticks to: X-, X+, Y-, Y+ (left stick), Z-, Z+, RZ-, RZ+(rigth stick). That way they show up in the default controller settings in Riptide GP.

Any ideas how to do that?

blam_eruntalon

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
To those who are using a Phonejoy with the Bluez-IME software - have you been able to map controls for this game at all? All I can get mapped is the left analogue stick, right analogue stick, and start/select. I cannot get any other controls mapped and working correctly according to the instructions in the first post of this thread.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I am having some trouble getting this to work on my SGS2. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I set it up exactly the way you said, but both analog sticks do the same thing (move the character). Clicking in the left analog stick fires, and R2 (but not R1 even though they are set to the same thing) reloads. As far as I can tell so far nothing else has any effect.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
After a reboot it is working pretty well, for some reason the moving and aiming is fluid, and sometimes it seems to slow down. Other than that, the only issue is that the start and select buttons don't do anything (neither do any of the weapon buttons but that may just be that I don't have any other weapons).

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I used these keys somewhat with the Galaxy S3 and USB/BT Joystick Center and it worked, couple of keys off but I have full functions on a "wired" PS3 controller connected w/ USB OTG. Anyone know the Nova 3 keys? :p