Is it worth going for the Photon now? - with Wimax support ending

Phoenix_NSD

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
This is going to be my first smartphone purchase, and I kinda want to get a high end one. I'm on T-mo right now, in Philly(no complaints about service), and am thinking of switching to Sprint, primarily because of their unlimited plans. I would also prefer a worldphone, (atleast with that option) because I travel to India once/twice a year and would like to keep the same phone there.
My question is this - Is it worth spending $200 for the Photon now, since Sprint pretty much announced that Wimax support was going to stop on 2012 as they switch to LTE? Or would it be better to got for the Epic 4G touch:-\ (Both phones look awesome, the SGS2's screen looks better, but I've heard Moto's radios/build is way better, plus the Photon has the Sim card slot)
What do you guys say?
Also, there's the issue of ICS update for the photon (no news from moto on that yet)
So, what do you guys say?
Thanks in advance

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I would go photon I don't think you can get a better build quality or better radios plus the webtop features are awesome

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

Sean-Troy

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is it worth going for the Photon now? - with Wimax support en

Also best buy sells the photon between 50 and 100 dollars

panaguy

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Recently I had the choice to get either a Galaxy S II or another Photon to exchange for a rare bad Photon that I had.

I chose the Photon...for a LOT of reasons that I am too tired to elaborate. Suffice it to say that all the features you mentioned about the Photon is why I stayed and also the fact that the Photon has the BETTER screen in my opinion. rmemnber the Photon is a true qHD (quarter High Definiton) LCD and far better resolution than the GSII. The Sammy may look BRIGHTER but if you look at the 2 of them side by side with the came content the GSII is blurry in comparison to the Photon's screen. Also don't worry about Wimax going away. Philly area is one of the strongest Wimax cities on Clearwire's national network that Sprint shares and in all likelihood you will be ready for another phone upgrade in the 2-3 years before LTE comes on line and they pull the switch on Wimax. :D

Buy the Photon with confidence and enjoy it when you travel to India :cool:

BTW, I'm sure it will get ICS at some point seeing that Google will soon own Moto Mobility they got to upgrade their own line of phones especially a flagship like the Photon, no?

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site

Get any android phone for a cent (1?) on amazon wireless, thats where i got my 2nd Photon from. The sale ends today i think...

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm not certain the Photon will get ICS. Moto hasn't promised it, and the development community for the Photon is small.

But that's the only downside to the Photon right now. (Well, and I wish I had a physical keyboard, but I seem to be in a minority.) If you want a world phone on Sprint, the Photon is the best thing they offer, at least for now. I enjoy Sprints's unlimited data plans, and I find I get adequate coverage. (You might want to borrow a Sprint phone and heck out your usual haunts, to make sure you would, too.) It's a nice solid phone that does what it says it will do.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm wondering the same thing about the Wimax support. I'd like to get the Photon too but at the same time if LTE is rolled out late next year I'd like to use my upgrade for that. I've also considered the SGII but I don't care for a phone that's humongous.

Phoenix_NSD

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for all the info, people.
I'm a grad student, and since I use my laptop at work and home, I'm not sure I need the Webtop functionality.
Also, thanks for the heads up on Best buy. Amazon's sale is over, and the Photon is on backorder for 9 days. Best buy is selling the photon for $100, 1/2 of what the Sprint store charges.
I'm gonna try to head to best buy (I don't have a car), if not I think I'm just going to get it from Sprint.
Thing is, I've heard completely opposite responses about SPrint service in West Philly, some swear by it, and some at it, ;). But the overwhelming majority has been in favor.
What the hell, it's worth a shot. If the service just doesn't work, I can always trade it in within 14 days.
Not that I want to. I just LOVE the way the Photon looks.

LeaninBack916

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Photon by far. My opinion, of course, but I have seen the other phones in action and the Photon just edges out those phones. Not to mention the exceptional radio.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
First where did sprint say it was ending support of wimax? I don't ran to sound doubtful I just hadn't heard about it.

Second my son & I just spent our upgrades. I got a mopho and he a nexus s. Both are 4g wimax phones. If they end wimax that will be a material change to my service which means my contract will be over .. which means I can upgrade to an lte phone at that time.

So go get a mopho until you need an lte phone, then get one of those.

My $0.02

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

jeffkey

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't believe that the Epic 4G Touch is a world phone. I just used my Photon in Europe (Geneva) with a global SIM card from telestial.com, and it worked well. It will NOT work with another SIM while in the US or Canada, however. Sprint doesn't allow it.

As others have pointed out, the Photon is $100 at Best Buy. As much as I like our local Sprint store, I went to Best Buy when it was time to renew our contract because I was buying two Photons (one for my son). Plus, their protection plan is a little cheaper than Sprint's if you pay for the two year plan up front.

LeaninBack916

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

First where did sprint say it was ending support of wimax? I don't ran to sound doubtful I just hadn't heard about it.

Second my son & I just spent our upgrades. I got a mopho and he a nexus s. Both are 4g wimax phones. If they end wimax that will be a material change to my service which means my contract will be over .. which means I can upgrade to an lte phone at that time.

My $0.02

How's the reception working out on your Nexus S 4g? I could not stand the lack of reception/dropped data. I loved the phone and the ROM support though but the reception issue KILLED my view of it.

Phoenix_NSD

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

They made a press release a couple months ago that they were switching to LTE and phasing out Wimax by 2013. I.e. Wimax devices will be supported/the Wimax network will exist till 2013, but they won't invest in new towers, etc. This article should help clear it up Sprint Is Ditching 4G WiMax for 4G LTE: What It Means for You . Although, cnet just reported that there might be an extension - Sprint reportedly near new deal with Clearwire | Mobile - CNET News
And I JUST got back from Best buy, and now proudly own the Photon. This thing is FAST and the screen looks gorgeous. I'm still playing around with it, but as of now I'd say I'm happy.

My $0.02

vic6string

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

WiMax will be supported for at least the life of any phone you buy now, and LTE won't really be up and running (and stable) in all likelihood until about the same time. I have had this phone for a couple of weeks now, and it is not only the best phone I have ever had, it is the best mobile computing device I have ever had (better than my two year old laptop). Add in the fact that you actually can make use of the world phone aspects of the phone, and it is a no-brainer. I think now is the best time to buy something like this phone.

By the way, I picked mine up at Best Buy, and they were very willing to give me the Amazon price ($50 with 2 year contract). They didn't even check the availability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463