Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ics rom!

Is anybody working on an ics rom I would pay $50 for right now lol but seriously is anyone?

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

Default Re: Ics rom!

was thinking the same thing not the 50 but if you are willing to pay 50 I will match that after Christmas

Please?

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts

Reading both the Motorola & Sony ICS blogs yesterday...I think we'll be waiting a while. Anyone else pick up on Sony's blog comments about them needing to port the HAL layer to support the Snapdragon processor's they used on their Xperia line?

I would think the same thing would apply for our Tegra 2 processors...so until Moto releases the ICS upgrade for one of their Tegra 2 tables or phones, and the xda-dev folks can get their hands on it...I would think we'd be waiting.

I totally ok with being wrong on this...but reading the Sony blog about the 'HAL' layer having to be ported to support a different processor...I think we have the same issue with the Tegra 2.

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

It is cases like this I wish Android was more....Apple like.

Why can't we have the most current Pure Google phone on every network, is it really that complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post

Why can't we have the most current Pure Google phone on every network, is it really that complicated?
    Not all iPhones get the latest iOS version. Only the iPhone 3GS and 4 got the iOS 5 update. Going back to iOS 4, that was a bad update for the iPhone 3 as it crippled it in terms of speed. While updates are nice, I feel it is only fair to point out that they are worthless if the hardware on the device isn't able to support it. I am glad Android isn't like Apple.....

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk.

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

^If the hardware is capable, they got the update. Regarding iOS 4, at least they could.

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post

It is that complicated honestly.

Apple controls the hardware. Google doesn't...that's why the HAL has to change (along with many other layers) to support the different processors, wifi, bluetooth, 4G, 3G radios, etc, etc. There is 1 and only 1 hardware spec for all iPhone 3GS models. Apple can write iOS4,5,6,7...etc all to support backwards compatibility for as long as it makes sense to...they write the OS & spec the hardware.

Its like trying to put a different engine into your car...you might have the space under the hood for it to fit, but it has to be modified in many ways in order for it to go in, connect to the transmission, run the A/C, Heat, Radio, Cruise Control, etc and then actually move the car down the road safely....ICS is no different.

Its not just running some setup.exe and it all starts working. Its extremely complicated.

I also do not want the Apple model...but if you truly want to be relatively 'safe'...the Nexus line is the only option for you. The Google model allows for things like integrated kickstands, different screen resolutions & sizes or 2 folding screens for that matter.

It is a little frustrating that the manufacturers put their own layer on top of the OS...I agree with you there.

Global Posts
    1,039 Global Posts
    Carrier
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

^My only point is, if Google had the Nexus S & Galaxy Nexus on every network, it would be much better. (I also wish they would choose someone other than Samsung).

The problem I have with the current Android model has to do with updates. Why would a manufacturer update a old device to the same interface as their newest device?

They would benefit financially by only having the new software on the newest device, requiring a new phone purchase. I don't believe for a second it takes this long to update to ICS. They are simply choosing to wait.

The Android phone model means manufacturers can do whatever they want... unfortunately, that means manufacturers can do whatever they want.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

This is a double edge conversation. We all ...well at least i do...want our new shiney toy to be the best now and lets say 2-3yrs from now....with updates. But on the other hand ....all the innovation in smartphone tech woild not have grown as fast at it has in the past 4-5yrs. Smartphones ...imo...are fast or faster than laptops and some desktops. With more innovation...ie new phones with new blingy OS versions...i see phones and tablets replacing laptops and desktops. So yes companies can support older devices and put the new OS on old phones but that takes resources and may slow people from buying the new shiny toy....which the bottom line both will cost the companies...MONEY. So don't be upset tht this is there route.....thats business. We as consumers just need to buy our devices that will handle whats going on in our lives plus 2-3yr growth. The grass will always be greener somewhere as long as money and the need to innovate are around. Choose wisely and dont get distracted by the new shiny toy.

I like new shiny toys lol

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts

I will say this...I did partially lean towards Moto b/c of the Google acquisition. My hope is that Moto will be directed/obligated to provide the ICS updates to their premier phones, setting a model for the other manufacturers who also pledged to do the same. (I know they're 'independent'...but I've worked for an independent arm acquired by a large company...and he who holds the purse strings makes the decisions no matter what is said publicly.)

I believe we'll get ICS...but it will be summer of 2012.

I don't want to wait that long that being I believe Moto is going to release a phone with ICS before the photon gets the update

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Like i said.....in the next 6 months Moto will have 2-3 new flagship phones to handle ICS and our Photons will be on the outside lookin in for some love. Dont get me wrong.....i want it as much as you guys. I guess i should stop being a Debby Downer and root for the cause but i am being a little realistic. Hell.....this is a top notch phone but no one has given it its props. I dont see alot of strong development for this beast of a phone....soooo i'm being realistic.
    ROM Developer

not a lot of strong development? cybik has cm7 damn near perfect. lokifish is making webtop being more then just a web browser. myself and joker have kernels out there. s0ckmonkey has a rom out and is working on a second one. on top of that its been stated to inside sources moto has already started work on ics for us, but then again so hasnt a few others....

amazing on how people complain and wish ics would get here sooner, yet in the same breath they wish things were like apple where there is no leaks of software.. no one making early builds you get your yearly update when they say so....

Global Posts
    992 Global Posts

Huh...thanks for the response Shabby!

Honestly, I didn't know anything about the CM7 ROMs, or that Moto was already working on ICS for the Photon.

I must not be reading the right threads or forums or something, but I'm a daily visitor to AC!

Where can I read more about the ROMs and Webtop enhancements?

Thanks, Shabby. That's very encouraging news.