1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Weak wifi strength?

Just picked up a photon a couple of days ago, coming form LG Optimus. Photon has all the latest updates, but it seems weak with the wifi. I download wifi analyzer and it is at least 10-15 db less that my Optimus when sitting next to each other.

My optimus picks up my neighbors routers but the photon will only pick up mine and maybe some neighbors. Are any other users seeing this as an issue or could it be just my phone be faulty?

thanks.

It is not an issue for me, but I have found the wifi to be weaker on this phone than on my Pre. (i only get any wifi in two places, and in both of those the signal is strong enough.)

The other radios are quite good, though. In particular, I get 3G in lots of places where I didn't before. I can also receive and place phone calls where many Sprint phones don't work.

Default Re: Weak wifi strength?

my photon has the best radios of any phone i have owned!

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

The radios on my photon are the best I have owned, including the WIFI.

Same as Puzzlegal here. I has not hampered me per se, just not as good as two other phones I have experience with. My wife has the EVO 4G, and gets a bit better reception on our home network than I do.

My 3G is remarkably better than my Pre or my Evo Shift. A whole new world of goodness.

My 4G is significantly better than my Evo Shift.

The radios are great.

The wifi, however, is adequate. I know this is subjective, but I don't think it's as strong as my Pre or my Evo Shift were.
    Michael

HTC One
    Asus Transformer Infinity TF700
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I swapped it out for another Photon this morning and havnt had time to give it a test. After reconfiging my router, changing channels and trying a static IP, I think it might be that the first one just had a bummer wifi radio.

Hopefully the second can grab my signal and not bounce like the first one did.

Global Posts
    742 Global Posts

My WiFi is not as powerful as my old Pre (it had a great wifi radio), it works quite well, but not as good at picking up marginal, or weak signals.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

New phone is about the same with strength, but doesnt bounch as much, may be that my old LG has a bettter wifi radio, I could walk out in the street and keep a good connection. All said this Photon has much better 3G radio and is the best I have encountered.

ROM
    Stock

Everything but the wifi strength is great on this phone. Mine only gets a strong signal when I'm sitting next to the router.

Takes 1-3 tries to connect to wifi. Wifi signal is awful, I tried 4 other phones and all had much more strength than the photon. Also have all updates.

Only fix I found was rebooting every 12 hours or so.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

just about everyone has had the same experience as I have, sure seems lots of us have come from the Pre, could that be timing of the launch of this phone coinciding with free/promo upgrade timing of the photon? Do they share some secret geek DNA pheromone sauce that we all can't get enough of?

I'd been through 423 pre phones (ok, only 18 or so, but who's counting) and they all had very, very good wifi signal strength. the photon is weak here, muscle bound everywhere else...

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts

I came from the Pre, the Treo Pro and now the Photon. Wifi does seem to be weaker, and although I can't prove this for sure, I've noticed that when Wifi is on, my 3G signal bars tend to drop and go from Blue, to Gray.

Its not a big deal, but its annoying.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

As i started this thread a while back, I am closing in on almost a month and this phone does have a weak wifi radio, all others are better than I have in the past. If i am near my router not bad, go upstairs and lose strength, wish it was better and i would have no complaints.