Is the Photon camera any good?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
What's the camera quality like on the Photon?

I have had the original Epic, Evo 4G, Evo 3D, and the Nexus S. For me, the Nexus S has the best camera out of all of these.

I know the Photon has an 8.0 MP camera, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. What's the photo quality like?

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

I have had the original Epic, Evo 4G, Evo 3D, and the Nexus S. For me, the Nexus S has the best camera out of all of these.

I know the Photon has an 8.0 MP camera, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. What's the photo quality like?

Its average. Samsung prob has the best camera for android, not too sure about HTC but have heard bad things about the Evo families cameras. I can honestly say that the 5 mp camera on my old Epic 4g was as good or maybe better then the Photons, but the Photon's isn't horrible by any means.

themoose615

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree, Samsung makes an outstanding camera. The photon camera is average at best. Pictures look grainy alot of the time and good luck taking a lowlight picture. I miss my Epic camera :(

Kbrn

May 30, 2010
Visit site
It is better than my EVO Shift's camera.. and as far as I have seen on a lot of youtube videos as in taking videos is the best camera right now
here's a couple of resized samples from my Photon

6535008945_91e5a0f400_z.jpg

6535009651_e8c0f7e3ef_z.jpg

6535036121_9d33f09ff1_z.jpg

Bellmonte

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My original Epic's 5 mega pixel camera took better pictures, but it's not the worst camera either.

Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk

Kungfubhuda

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Photo quality aside, Motorola made the decision to give a loud enchanting "click" sound every time you take a picture. Even more fun, you cannot disable this. I believe there's a fix, but the forum which has the fix is currently down.

Seriously, what jackass thought that sound was so great that it couldn't be disabled?

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Photo quality aside, Motorola made the decision to give a loud enchanting "click" sound every time you take a picture. Even more fun, you cannot disable this. I believe there's a fix, but the forum which has the fix is currently down.

Seriously, what jackass thought that sound was so great that it couldn't be disabled?

Motorola stated in a similar thread on their forums, that the inability to disable the 'click' was a decision of Sprint's, and that it wasn't Moto's call.

Kbrn

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Using Root explorer (if you're rooted) you can go to system/media/audio/UI and just rename camera_click.ogg to camera_clik.ogg
and
VideoRecord.ogg to VideoRecor.ogg

That way if you change your mind you can always go back and rename the files.

Reactions: Herk_FE

bonanzabucks

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but I was disappointed with the Photon camera. I expected better quality pictures, especially considering it's 8MP. My Samsung Epic had a better camera.

popologuy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks ronnienyc!! That supe loud and slow click was killing me, since i use the cell fone camera instead of lugging around my old "real" digital camera. You can imagine how annying that sound has been for the 507 pictures i have taken since I got the Photon in Aug 2011: Oy vey!! :-$

rbeavers

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I thought the camera has crap looking at them on the phone. Then I saw them on the computer.
Pretty Good.
Of course the front camera (vga) is crappy!

cobaltgirl87

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The camera on this phone is my all time complaint. No matter what the lighting, or what the setting, when taking pics of people, it is TERRIBLE. the settings are all on highest possible, and no matter what, everyone looks read and blotchy and crappy. Its the worst phone camera i've had. Samsung cameras are the BEST out there and i miss the one on my Epic terribly.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My Photon definitively takes pretty good pics.

I would suggest to double check your settings and try out different settings for the cam.

I found the wide setting images are less quality then set to 8mp.

My Photon camera works well but you have to hold it pretty steady and hold it for an extra second so it does not get blurred.

Last week got Camera Zoom FX App on the market on sale, so far I like it and it has a lot of easy settings, more frames, more features and different settings for stabilization & actions.

I take a lot of pics, so I will stick with the Camera Zoom FX app.

One thing is the lighting & flash that has a lot to do with your pics as well as the distance, but overall after some practice it is OK for a phone cam.

I have taken over a few thousand pics with the stock cam app, I would say over 90% of them are good.

If I need really good pics I just use my regular digital cam.

FYI: You can switch between stock camera app & the app.

Also use QuickPic (free on market) instead of crappy stock gallery.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

fearjar

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to say that my HTC Hero took better pics. But I have an OtterBox defender and the lens cover gets some dust on it and you can't always clean it off before you do pic. I expected the pics to be so-so, but when researched the phone before buying I saw several posts on a few forums where people said the pics had a blue tint. Guess what color protective film is over the lens when you buy it? I kid you not. Google photon cam blue tint. MORONS. But overall the quality is great considering the fact that I can take a pic, post it, google it and then show it from the website I posted it to. remember just 6 years ago when you wanted a good camera....you bought a good camera. People take for granted that we are walking around with more technology in our pockets then what we sent men to the moon with. And that includes the technology used by NASA to send them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star