gmail notifications not working

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Unless I press refresh from the gmail app, I'm not getting new emails. If it does show new emails they are hours old and I get no notification. I've shut off the battery power saver thing, I've even factory reset my phone.

I was using Launcher Pro, then Go Launcher, now reset and on stock launcher (yuk).

I want new emails to arrive as quickly as possible. Any suggestions?

Everything is updated.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello?

New emails are not being sent to my phone on time, I find it hard to believe I am the only one having this problem, help?

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Check several things to insure that your phone is set up properly to get immediate notifications and to ensure that nothing is blocking it:

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data Saver
Make sure that Data Saver is not set.

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery
Make sure Background data and Data enabled are checked

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery->Email and corporate sync->Notifications
Make sure Notifications is checked

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery->Email and corporate sync->Email delivery
Make sure Sync over Wi-Fi only is not checked for your gmail account
Make sure Data push is selected
(Since I only use accounts with Data push, I set the Fetch schedule to manual.)

Do you have any battery saver applications like JuiceDefender? I tried JuiceDefender and it extended my battery, but it blocked email delivery so I had to stop using it.

Last edited:

Herk_FE

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Check several things to insure that your phone is set up properly to get immediate notifications and to ensure that nothing is blocking it:

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data Saver
Make sure that Data Saver is not set.

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery
Make sure Background data and Data enabled are checked

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery->Email and corporate sync->Notifications
Make sure Notifications is checked

Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery->Emain and corporate sync->Email delivery
Make sure Sync over Wi-Fi only is not checked for your gmail account
Make sure Data push is selected
(Since I only use accounts with Data push, I set the Fetch schedule to manual.)

Do you have any battery saver applications like JuiceDefender? I tried JuiceDefender and it extended my battery, but it blocked email delivery so I had to stop using it.

This is what I was getting at great post and great details provided!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
All the options are set as you described, except the corporate sync info, as I'm only using the gmail application.

I have done a complete factory reset, and have not installed any programs at all, the gmail still does not work. I think I'll have to go to imap settings and delete the gmail app.

I think it is complete bs that the iphone gets email before the gmail web client does, and yet my android phone has no idea an email occurred.

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
All the options are set as you described, except the corporate sync info, as I'm only using the gmail application.

I have done a complete factory reset, and have not installed any programs at all, the gmail still does not work. I think I'll have to go to imap settings and delete the gmail app.

I think it is complete bs that the iphone gets email before the gmail web client does, and yet my android phone has no idea an email occurred.

Did you set Data Push? Gmail will push every email to your phone as it is received (i.e.: the phone does not have to poll the gmail server), but it won't unless you set Data Push. Data Push for gmail works like Exchange ActiveSync. Your phone just receives the email as it is pushed out.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where the push option is.

It is literally as simple as this:

Step 1: Factory reset phone.

Step 2: Sign into google account during initial phone setup menu.

Step 3: Send email from my computer to my gmail.

Result: Shows up immediately in chrome, doesn't go to phone. If I hit the refresh button in gmail, they show up.

I seriously have a hard time believing its a configuration issue if it doesn't work immediately after a factory reset.

I've talked with other people I know and they are having the same problem.

Are you guys getting gmail messages to your phone immediately?

For now, I'm getting my gmail email through IMAP via the corporate email on the phone. I got a message 3 hours ago on my phone via the IMAP account, the gmail app is still clueless.

This sucks.

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys getting gmail messages to your phone immediately?

For now, I'm getting my gmail email through IMAP via the corporate email on the phone. I got a message 3 hours ago on my phone via the IMAP account, the gmail app is still clueless.

This sucks.

It doesn't always work correctly even when set up properly. Gmail may be slow or you may have to uncheck Data Push, then recheck it.

I just sent myself an email to my gmail account. It took 13 seconds to show up on my phone.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
So, I've looked, I cant find a 'Data Push' option anywhere. Where is it?

(Settings->Battery & data manager->Data delivery->Email and corporate sync->Notifications is not for the gmail app. You cant even get there unless you manually setup a secondary email account.)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I've had a similar issue before and I noticed it happens more frequently after restoring a backup from a custom recovery, but have had it happen once without rhyme or reason. Something i noticed, when this happens the inbox inside the gmail app will even indicate i have a new message yet it doesn't display the message in my inbox. This is what I do to correct it, YMMV:

From the home screen - Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Select "Gmail" - Tap clear cache (if applicable) - Tap clear data

Go back to the gmail app on home screen or in app drawer and open it up. It may take a couple minutes to resync email.

This is what i do out of habit now after restoring a backup. Good luck!

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So, I am the only one on this site with a Photon that isn't syncing?

No your not the only one, I have 4 Photon friends same issue and have a Sprint tech store friend with same issue.

Yes, we tried all the settings as well.

Gmail will sync but notifications are not working consistently only occasionally.

Again go through Japarks reply (thanks for the great write up, should be a sticky)!!

Are u stock or rooted? Which Rom?

Did you try this with Wifi or just 3G or 4G?

Try these again:

I would also try clearing the all cache, shut down & battery pull.

Try disabling gmail sync reboot & re-enable them & test.

Check all your data & battery settings, make sure data is checked.

You should also try deleting the Gmail accounts, clear cache, shut down, battery pull, add gmail account again.

Go through all the settings again. Every time just change one setting, then reboot & test it.

I am sure this is a Gmail problem, similar to the GPS widget issues.

Good luck, let us know if you found a setting that works for you.

God Bless.

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I figured it out.

A few weeks ago my roommate was downloading tons of stuff off uTorrent. I got copyright notices from my ISP & he still didn't quit.

I setup a filter on my router to block all ports 1000 and up. That roommate is gone now and I unblocked the router and the phone started working fine again.

Whats weird is I received no error messages, I could manually sync, and corporate email worked without issue when the filter was enabled.

Frustrating.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
@ Dreamliner, go to know it was a router/wifi issue. Also yes there are no error messages & Manual sync works, we had the same thing.

But there was a Google API Issue as well with 2nd party apps.

UPDATE:

Go Launcher EX Notification (requires Go Launcher EX, it's free on Market) had an update yesterday that finally allows it to work with Gmails updated API.

It now has new permissions so you do have to add your account to it, appears to be working now for those who are interested.

It also shows missed calls, missed messages & Gmail, has check boxes to select what you want to be notified of.

polobuds

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So, I am the only one on this site with a Photon that isn't syncing?

relax, you arent the only one. Mine just started doing this about a month ago. Had the phone for about a year and never had any problems until a month ago. Not sure if it had anything to do with updates or any OTA updates. I had selected the option of automatic updates for certain apps, and I think one of the updates messed it up. I went into the apps and uninstalled updates. Re-sync'd it, sent an email to myself, and it came up in 10 secs. I was getting this far a couple of times, but then the next day it wouldnt push to the phone. I'll have to wait and see if it still works. If not, I'm at a lost as well.

Edit: Dont see why it would be a router issue unless you use your home's wireless? What happens when you are away from home? Does it still notify?

ionsys

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have got the solution,

Same problem, I had faced after updating Android. I had follow these steps :

Go to the Setting -> Accounts & Sync -> Slide the button to On.

Your all accounts will start synchronizing. Your notification for Gmail will start automatically.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463