Wifi Disconnect

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Photon for a week and it's pretty nice - a little laggy, but it gets reception - but my main issue is that the Wifi disconnects when the phone is in idle mode. I have the Wifi setting on Never under Sleep, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone figure out how to fix this issue?

beantown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I too have notice that, but when I start to use it again the wifi seems to come back on....

The issue I've been having as of late is, when I turn off my wifi it takes awhile ( I can't express awhile enough) for it to go back to 3G, anybody have an idea as to why this might be?
Thanks...

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Within wireless and settings go into wireless settings and then tap on the settings button and choose advanced. Here you will be able to tell the wifi to never go to sleep. Thus actually increases battery life if you are in areas with wifi.

Sent from my Photon

Reactions: Dreamliner330

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine has those settings selected and the wifi still goes off between 10 ~ 11pm every night. I have to go back in to the wireless settings for it to reconnect to my home network. Not sure what's going on, but it is frustrating, especially when I'm sitting in the same room as the router.

Within wireless and settings go into wireless settings and then tap on the settings button and choose advanced. Here you will be able to tell the wifi to never go to sleep. Thus actually increases battery life if you are in areas with wifi.

Sent from my Photon

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine has those settings selected and the wifi still goes off between 10 ~ 11pm every night. I have to go back in to the wireless settings for it to reconnect to my home network. Not sure what's going on, but it is frustrating, especially when I'm sitting in the same room as the router.

Does this problem only happen at night? The stock ROM has a setting where at night it uses less data. The idea is for the phone to not bother you while you are sleeping. You can easily turn this off but I forget where this setting is. I have a cm rom

Sent from my Photon

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
As I said in my original post, I already have the Wifi set to Never Sleep. Wifi doesn't go out only at night; it's random and throughout the day. I have my iPad next to the phone and the iPad remains connected to the same network, while the Photon disconnects. I can bring it back to life by turning the Airplane mode on, then off....but that's annoying. There must be a more permanent solution out there...?

japark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you using a battery saver app (juicedefender for example)?

Such applications turn off connections to reduce battery usage.

Wayne173

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
See what battery mode the phone is in. I think by default its in Nightime Saver mode. Which means it will turn off certain features during the night to save battery. Try using Performance Mode....which just kills thr battery. This mode turns nothing off .....on all day....everyday. Go to Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Battery Mode. There you can chose a mode you want the phone in. Or make a custom mode of when you want the phone to work its best. I guess its the fault of the manufacturers thinking that everyone should be sleeping or getting ready for sleep at 11pm so the figure why have all that data and wifi going. Hope that helped.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
See what battery mode the phone is in. I think by default its in Nightime Saver mode. Which means it will turn off certain features during the night to save battery. Try using Performance Mode....which just kills thr battery. This mode turns nothing off .....on all day....everyday. Go to Settings > Battery & Data Manager > Battery Mode. There you can chose a mode you want the phone in. Or make a custom mode of when you want the phone to work its best. I guess its the fault of the manufacturers thinking that everyone should be sleeping or getting ready for sleep at 11pm so the figure why have all that data and wifi going. Hope that helped.

Yes, that's exactly it. It wasn't a problem for me until I started playing Words With Friends and a friend and I tend to play later at night.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The issue is that Wifi turns off even during the day, when the phone screen is off, so it must be something else. Thanks, though.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just my opinion here:

u should not need any app for this issue on a Photon

do you ever do a battery pull? if not do one

u may have another app turning off the wifi, ie battery saver app

if not do the batt pull, retest, if still an issue u need to do a FDR, and if that does not work with only stock apps bring it to a Sprint store for testing.

I have over 150 apps, wifi set to never, battery on performance mode & data saver off for a long time now & never an issue with wifi.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just my opinion here:

u should not need any app for this issue on a Photon

do you ever do a battery pull? if not do one

u may have another app turning off the wifi, ie battery saver app

if not do the batt pull, retest, if still an issue u need to do a FDR, and if that does not work with only stock apps bring it to a Sprint store for testing.

I have over 150 apps, wifi set to never, battery on performance mode & data saver off for a long time now & never an issue with wifi.
I did the battery pull, as you suggested, and Wifi still goes on/off...so I have to turn on Airplane mode, then turn it off again for Wifi to come back on. This seems to occur esp. when the phone has been idle for a while.

What is a FDR?

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I did the battery pull, as you suggested, and Wifi still goes on/off...so I have to turn on Airplane mode, then turn it off again for Wifi to come back on. This seems to occur esp. when the phone has been idle for a while.

What is a FDR?

FDR= Factory Data Reset/restore, rolls your phone back to new (how u got it), u can search how to do it, its easy, BUT back your data up 1st to your PC or other. It will not effect your SD-EXT (external SD card, but I would still back that up as well in case of a fluke).

If you take it back to Sprint they will do the FDR 1st thing, so that they can rule out a hardware issue, if you have the issue after the FDR and no other apps installed it is a hardware issue or the phone will have to get "reflashed".

Most likely you an app causing this issue, BUT be sure to triple check all your settings.

Photon: Its also better to leave the WiFi on "Never sleep", it will be controlled automatically even though the name of the setting is never sleep.

You definitively have a problem here, so go threw the above steps to diagnose it.

If your putting any apps on the sd-ext (you really have no need too) they will have to be removed.

Hope that helps

Reactions: HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've tried nearly everything suggested here, and my Wifi still turns off after a period of inactivity. The phone is on Nighttime Saver mode, which stops syncing data after 15 minutes of inactivity during off-peak hours (10 pm-5 am). Supposedly, syncing is supposed to resume when you press any button, but I do get a lot of emails delayed (using Maildroid), because even with data off at night, my Wifi still goes to sleep (even when set to Never Sleep). The Nighttime saver is otherwise supposed to sync without restrictions during peak hours, but in reality, it doesn't. Whenever my phone is idle, when I press a button after a bit, it takes about 2-3 minutes for the data and a bit longer for Wifi to reconnect. Most often, it doesn't do so automatically, so I have to do the Airplane on/off mode to get it going again. I did try setting the battery on Performance mode, but as stated above, it drains the battery even quicker.

The only thing I haven't done is reset the entire phone from scratch...but goodness, what a bother this is turning out to be!

Why does the phone not follow the settings and just randomly connect/disconnect data/Wifi? Very frustrating!