1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Debating photon or iphone 4

So im getting ready to switch over to sprint from us cellular, and i have something to think about.

Right now with uscc i have the eletricfy which is the same as the photon minus 4g capability. While going over the sprint website i saw that they have the photon and iphone 4 for the same price. So now im debating.

I already know what the photon can do, but what choice should i make? Ive had a ipod 4th gen and i loved playing around with it. But i also love my electrify. This is the 1st phone ive had in a long time that i havent had 1 single problem out of.

Any input guys and gals?

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

If it was between the photon and the regular iPhone, then get the photon. The regular iPhone only has 256mb of ram and with the latest ios you will quickly see apps take advantage of the extra ram and then the iPhone will feel super slow.

Sent from my Photon
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Debating photon or iphone 4

The regular 8gb i4 has 516mb not 256. And apps arent my thing maybe 1 or 2 here and there but i mainly jyst surf on my electrify

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

If you're just going to be doing web surfing on your phone, the Photon would be a better choice due to its dual core processor vs. the single fore in the i4. Also, it can take advantage of 4G if that is in your area.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

With the iPhone you're stuck on 3G. The Photon has WiMax but Sprint's dumping it for LTE. Sprint's WiMax coverage is lacking, but the new LTE network will be available wherever 3G is available. Check where WiMax is available in your area . The question is, do you want to settle for 2-4Mbps on WiMax or wait for LTE's 100Mbps?

Motorola doesn't currently have an LTE device on Sprint's network but there's sure to be at least one in the 15 LTE devices Sprint's rolling out this year. I'm waiting on Motorola's new LTE phone myself. Unfortunately, nothing has been announced and Motorola isn't hosting any events at MWC so it may be a while.

I personally like android better for my phones than iOS, however, I own a iPad 2 that I love. I own a photon that I use for work and it does a dang good job, it gets great signal (which was a problem from various Samsung models I tried), good battery life after the initial break in, and the screen is about the perfect size. I do wish moto would bring a razor maxx to sprint, I'd love to get three days out of a charge.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

What decision did you make? Also, if you switch to Sprint from BestBuy you'll find the Photon $50 - $100 cheaper. Through Amazon.com too!

Photon +1

Tip: Never rush to download any APP "Updates", read the feedback for a few days so that you can see if other people are having issues with it and/or changes to permissions or other you may not want! Always use a Back Up APP!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free DropBox! Back up to & Sync your Phone to your Computer Free! Always have your stuff when you need it with @ Dropbox . 2GB Plus account is Free! Plus earn up to 500 Mb's for each referral! Up to 32GB Free! http://db.tt/szmjeyX

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Wait 6 months and get the LTE iPhone...that will be my next phone.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

Picked up my wifes photon at wal-mart for 50 dollars a couple of weeks ago, photon is beginning to be a good bargain.

Photon....all da way

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

I expect to pick up my Photon tonight or tomorrow. My wife is picking hers up as I type this, having it activated at Best Buy using a Price Match price of $49.99 with a $50 Phone Freedom gift card I registered her line for last month. This makes Her price free. She is retiring her BlackBerry Tour, finally. That critter has always had wonky signal, compounded by our older home. If the MoPho lives up to its reputation, I'm expecting some happy squeals of joy later.

BTW, I'm getting the same deal. (sneaks off to look for best prices on Otterbox Defender)

If there were any doubts, check out the head-to-head video of the Photon vs. The iPhone, it's pretty good.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.

If you are purchasing a newer iphone then it'd be wise to go with that. However the photon seems like a good bargain as some people have mentioned above.

keep us informed with your decision as we're curious!

One of the reasons *I* don't go iPhone is that I'm a battery serial killer. I can totally wreck a phone battery in 6 months or so. I refuse to give up my device for 2 or three weeks so someone 'certified' can put a battery in my phone. For less than $10, I can slide a spare into my holster, and keep a charged spare handy for those longer times away from power.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    One of the reasons *I* don't go iPhone is that I'm a battery serial killer. I can totally wreck a phone battery in 6 months or so. I refuse to give up my device for 2 or three weeks so someone 'certified' can put a battery in my phone. For less than $10, I can slide a spare into my holster, and keep a charged spare handy for those longer times away from power.
    Any ideadls what cause this? I had this problem with my epic 4g. It could have also been the phone that just had horrible battery life.....

Sent from my Photon

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    Any ideadls what cause this? I had this problem with my epic 4g. It could have also been the phone that just had horrible battery life.....

Sent from my Photon
    Killing a battery? In my case, it's pure usage on any device I've had. It's almost constantly in use, and because of it, my charge cycles get used repeatedly, plus, as a commercial driver, I'm always running thru different signal ranges.

As to an Epic, I've read literally hundreds of customer reviews, and one thing has really stood out on it and a few other Android devices; connectivity. Being as you're using a mobile device, the harder a device has to work at maintaining a stable signal, the worse its battery life tends to be. This is also a reason you see high temps in certain units when they're not being used.

And to update, my wife has had her Photon for almost 2 days now, and has barely taken her hands off it. She has been so happy she can finally get a stable signal throughout the house, something she had huge problems with before. This is the first time I've heard her really happy with her phone in a long time.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-14-2012 at 08:55 AM.

ROM
    JOKER'S CM9 ON PHOTON

Getting a photon would b best iphones lack favor lol my friend has one and he would rather have his blackberry back i was shocked about dat

K.U.S.H 305 MB855
    NITO KUSH