4G doesn't turn on

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had an issue where the 4G antenna doesn't turn on? Usually it will after I reboot it, but it seems that every so often when I try to turn on the 4G the widget will keep spinning and eventually stop spinning without having turned on 4G. Any ideas?

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
NO

But;

try doing a battery pull for a few minutes.

do u have any battery saver apps installed? if so try disabling them, re boot & check again

any recent apps since the issue?

hope thats a start 4 u

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll try the battery pull. It does always work after a reboot tho. No battery saver apps installed at all. I also even disabled the built-in battery power management.

traviscurren

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me regularly. The only fix I've found is to reboot. It usually only happens about every 4-5 days. I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This happens to me regularly. The only fix I've found is to reboot. It usually only happens about every 4-5 days. I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

Same here. The epic 4g never had this problem which makes me think that it's photon specific.

Sent from my Photon

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Double check your in a good 4G Area & be outside, you can use the sprint map to check for the area

FYI: If there is no 4G Signal it will spin & then turn off the 4G antenna. There can be 4G outside of a building/house but it has poor penetration due to the high frequency it uses, so keep that in mind

Also note the 4G turns off after a short time if your not using it to save battery

========

Triple check all your settings.

Disable any battery saver Apps

Do another battery pull

Try putting your phone on performance mode & Data always on modes.

If all the above does not work, and your sure your in a good 4G area then do a FDR, BUT 1st back up all your data.

After the FDR do not dl any apps and see if the 4G works,

if it works add 1 app a day and check it, keep track of the apps & date installed

Hope that helps

traviscurren

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not signal; the radio won't turn on at all. No battery saving apps, settings for data are all good. It just seems that after 5 days or so the radio won't turn on. It's not a big deal to me as after about 5 days I usually reboot anyway.

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I always do a daily reboot anyways.

I really think the Photon needs a daily reboot anyways due to the fragmentation issues.

If my Photon messes up or slows down, I either reboot or a battery pull and any issues/slow downs are corrected.

These issues appear common on most android devices, especially from updating apps, installing new apps, just using the phone / internet.

Weather its cache build up or the normal android os fragmentation a reboot usually clears it up. You do not need a cache cleaner & I suggest not using one.

As for the 4G radio antenna, wheel spinning means its trying to connect to 4G, if there is no 4G it will not turn or stay on to save battery.

If there is 4G signal and the 4G radio antenna does not work see my other post. The Photon hardware & radio quality is very good, but you still have to drill down the issue.

If the 4G radio does not even attempt to turn on follow my other post.

If that does not help checkout the moto forum or take your phone back to Sprint.

The Photon does have some issues, which may or may not effect every user, as well as specific built in settings from Sprint that may not be well implemented, but Moto has been keeping track of these issues to have fixes for future release updates.

So I suggest you also notify Moto via their support forum so that these issues can be addressed.

Please post back here any updates

Hope that helps

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've just gotten used to rebooting my phone when it happens. I cannot find a rhyme or reason as to why it doesn't turn on sometimes. I dunno if it's related to a program or the widgets or what.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will help you or not...but my Wifi widget rarely works...only after a fresh reboot.

However, if I go into settings->wireless & networks and turn wifi on there, I have a 100% success rate, no reboot req'd.

I blame my early days of trying out a bunch of different launchers before settling in on the stock one. I need to do a factory reset...just been too lazy for such an easy work around...

Wondering if the 4G radio wouldn't act the same way for you? (Just a thought, and FWIW...I rarely reboot my phone. 1x / month at most..)

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
that may be the key. I remember with my Epic 4G it was the same thing.... the WiFi widget rarely worked but going into the settings did. I'm going to try using that instead of the widget to see if it'll turn on more consistently.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
yes that happens to me too, but from what I remember with my Epic, going thru the settings and turning it off and on seemed to have more of a success rate. Now I'm trying replacing the widgets with shortcuts to the settings where you turn these off & on to see if it makes a difference.

On a slightly off-topic note, my wifi has always been weird with this phone. I'll turn it on with the widget but it won't actually connect to anything until I go into the settings anyway, even if the network is there and saved.

dorelse

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
On a slightly off-topic note, my wifi has always been weird with this phone. I'll turn it on with the widget but it won't actually connect to anything until I go into the settings anyway, even if the network is there and saved.

Mine is the same way...

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well 4G still randomly doesn't work even after going into settings instead of using the widget. Seemed like a long shot anyway....