Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Photon 4G EOL'd in April - What's next?

The Photon 4G was a successful flagship phone for Sprint. It's scheduled for EOL next month. It seems unlikely that they would drop the Photon without a replacement but there hasn't been a peep - no FCC approvals, no leaks, nada. I'm guessing an ATRIX 2 update with LTE is [HL]somewhere[/HL], but it doesn't look like it will be ready before the Photon is retired. Does anyone know what's next?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Photon 4G EOL'd in April - What's next?

i was just told the photon is one of the only available that will be able to use LTE, why would they get rid of it?
    BlackBerry 8130_Nextel i880_BlackBerry 8330_HTC Hero_Samsung S1_Motorola Photon_Samsung S2_Samsung S4

Quote Originally Posted by inkdup102586 View Post
    i was just told the photon is one of the only available that will be able to use LTE, why would they get rid of it?
    The photon can NOT be used on LTE. I know some uninformed Sprint employees have been spreading this lie, so that's a shame. More info here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=20331557

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by happyturkey View Post
    The photon can NOT be used on LTE. I know some uninformed Sprint employees have been spreading this lie, so that's a shame. More info here:
    !!!LOOK HERE FIRST!!! Motorola Photon Compendium a.k.a. all things MoPho 1/26/12 - xda-developers

Wait so does that mean I won't be able to use 4G anymore? If so, when will this start?

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

WOW, oh WOW...if indeed that is true, the Photon 4G didn't live a long life, granted it's a cousin to the Atrix which has been out for sometime, but WOW...in my honest opinion this was a great phone...

Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Wait so does that mean I won't be able to use 4G anymore? If so, when will this start?
    You will still be able to use WiMax 4g if you have it now - WiMax will supposedly still be supported until 2015 - but they won't be expanding WiMax at all anymore ( so for those of us who can only get 4g right now by being outside, near a Sprint store, while standing on one foot, that won't get any better for the Photon)

Turn to the dev community... Just like the Galaxy S line, they were supposed to be at their EOL back months ago and have received their official Gingerbread updates and now the dev community has come to the rescue with giving so many GB stranded devices a chance at CM9 (ICS).
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

It's decisions like this that have me thinking of Verizon. 'Unlimited' is pointless when 4G doesn't work and 3G is ~300k...

Except for the PenTile screen, the Photon is the best phone on Sprint right now.

I just wish we could get the Droid RAZR MAXX on Sprint with a IPS display

Boy would it be sweet if the photon 2 or photon replacement was a variant of the razr maxx!

Photon --> (Sprint version) Note?

I can dream.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

While Sprint has changed their focus from business users to, uh, college students they still have a lot of customers who are business users. Blackberry isn't keeping up and Motorola has done a pretty good job of taking up the slack. It's unlikely that Sprint would abandon their business customers to add another gaming device to their lineup.

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SERO wireless View Post
    While Sprint has changed their focus from business users to, uh, college students they still have a lot of customers who are business users. Blackberry isn't keeping up and Motorola has done a pretty good job of taking up the slack. It's unlikely that Sprint would abandon their business customers to add another gaming device to their lineup.
    Very well said. We'll see how things turn out. As of now the best non BB global phone will he an HTC with 768 of ram. On 2012, hardly high end for android.

I travel a lot so it looks like it makes more sense to try out att, tmobile, verizon.

Sent from my Photon

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    It's decisions like this that have me thinking of Verizon. 'Unlimited' is pointless when 4G doesn't work and 3G is ~300k...

Except for the PenTile screen, the Photon is the best phone on Sprint right now.

I just wish we could get the Droid RAZR MAXX on Sprint with a IPS display
    best phone on Sprint? Ate you kidding me the SGS2 bored this phone outta the water

Quote Originally Posted by jstates916 View Post
    best phone on Sprint? Are you kidding me the SGS2 blows this phone outta the water

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by jstates916 View Post
    best phone on Sprint? Ate you kidding me the SGS2 bored this phone outta the water
    Except for screen resolution, battery life, signal strength, call quality and speakerphone quality...

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    Except for screen resolution, battery life, signal strength, call quality and speakerphone quality...
    Yeah, the et4g is an amazing little tablet device, but with it's weak Samsung data and gps radios, that's all it is. The Photon's the best on Sprint in terms of actual functionality. I get data, phone, and gps signal when friends on the et4g are roaming data, dropping calls, and taking minutes to get a gps lock (if ever).
    (Now, my superior data connection is still on Sprint's crappy network, but that's another issue)

ROM
    RockoROM 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by happyturkey View Post
    !!!LOOK HERE FIRST!!! Motorola Photon Compendium a.k.a. all things MoPho 1/26/12 - xda-developers

If it's not LTE capable, then why are there numerous lines in the build.prop file with LTE settings for Verizon?

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssg27 View Post
    If it's not LTE capable, then why are there numerous lines in the build.prop file with LTE settings for Verizon?
    Think of Windows. It has a lot of drivers printers and Bluetooth. That doesn't mean that your phone comes with them inside

Sent from my Photon

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by andoman View Post
    Boy would it be sweet if the photon 2 or photon replacement was a variant of the razr maxx!
    I would love that sooo much. I really wish there was some sort of timeline on what Motorola is releasing on Sprint next. I may get the HTC One X...but would kick myself if a Moto is released a couple months later.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

The signs point towards a late May - possibly early June - release from Motorola. It will produce shock, awe and envy.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

^what signs?

I expected this when I upgraded as prices fell. It doesn't hurt badly because there isn't a better mix for my needs available for some time, anyway. Compared to my venerable BlackBerry Style, it's a nuclear bomb. Not as efficient for messaging, but quite acceptable. But media-wise, quite an improvement
    Battery life has been better for me, surprisingly, without a lot of tweaking. Considering the screen is at least 2 anda half times the size, that ain't bad.

A 9 month run isn't too shabby, and it'll be in stock for some time when you consider that stores still stock new Evo Shifts and Epics, and that their price is the same as the Photon, in many cases.

ROM
    JOKER'S CM9 ON PHOTON

Wow dis crazy my photon is great hate to see it go but ikno sumthin better is on da way

ROM
    RockoROM 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    Think of Windows. It has a lot of drivers printers and Bluetooth. That doesn't mean that your phone comes with them inside

Sent from my Photon
    Oh ok. Thanks for the info.. and the Windows analogy really helped :P

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

I'm just wondering if Sprint doing EOL on Photon will change Motorola's plan for ICS. I would be happy with this phone for a good while if it is upgraded to Android 4.0.
    Palm 300 -> 600 -> 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo 4G -> Photon -> Optimus G
    HP Touchpad -> Nexus 7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast