*Warning* - Scramble With Friends (kills phone sounds)

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I was having issues with not receiving notifications/alarms/ringers for some time. I wiped my phone several times. Each time I installed what I thought were trusted apps, and it kept happening. Well, I slowly installed apps this time (2 days+ between installs). Well, this weekend it finally did it again. The only two apps I installed were Draw Something and Scramble With Friends. I called my phone 3 times from another phone, just to be sure my ringer was not working - sure enough, the calls came through, but no ringer. I was receiving texts at the same time without notification sounds. So, I uninstalled SWF - did not reboot my phone - called my phone again and presto, my ringer was back. FINALLY I found the issue. Ugh, this was killing me. Made me late for several events (due to no alarm clock sound), missed several calls, and many... MANY notifications.

If you are experiencing issues with not receiving sounds and/or alerts, try uninstalling SWF and see what happens.

maxima2k53

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues with not receiving notifications/alarms/ringers for some time. I wiped my phone several times. Each time I installed what I thought were trusted apps, and it kept happening. Well, I slowly installed apps this time (2 days+ between installs). Well, this weekend it finally did it again. The only two apps I installed were Draw Something and Scramble With Friends. I called my phone 3 times from another phone, just to be sure my ringer was not working - sure enough, the calls came through, but no ringer. I was receiving texts at the same time without notification sounds. So, I uninstalled SWF - did not reboot my phone - called my phone again and presto, my ringer was back. FINALLY I found the issue. Ugh, this was killing me. Made me late for several events (due to no alarm clock sound), missed several calls, and many... MANY notifications.

If you are experiencing issues with not receiving sounds and/or alerts, try uninstalling SWF and see what happens.

I had that same issue, but SWF came out with an update not too long ago that fixed that issue.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I was about to let you know it wasnt draw something in that other thread lol

I dont want to use swb anyways, battery killer, but thanks for the heads up!

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue too. Hoping it wasnt scramble cause I'm hooked on it. Going to uninstall and see if it fixes it. Is this only happening on the photon or all android phones?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Swb worked flawless on my optimus and evo shift... Might just be our photons :(

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk.

ram5772

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble guys but this has been happening to me way before I installed SWF which I uninstalled and it still happens. I have yet to find the app causing the issue if it even is an app I feel it just may be the phone itself.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
Sorry to burst your bubble guys but this has been happening to me way before I installed SWF which I uninstalled and it still happens. I have yet to find the app causing the issue if it even is an app I feel it just may be the phone itself.

- It was happening
- I uninstalled SWF
- It stopped
- It has not continued since I uninstalled SWF

I'm not sure what is happening on your phone, but SWF appears to have been the culprit on my phone. Have you tried uninstalling your apps and then re-installing 1-by-1 to see which other app may cause this? addonsdetector is a great app which will show you your apps listed by the date you installed them. You could try uninstalling them based upon newest install first. It's a pretty easy test for this problem. 1) Uninstall app, 2) call yourself. If it's fixed, great! If not, 3) uninstall next app...

vic6string

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't have either of those games installed, but I also lose the ringer occasionally. The two likeliest culprits from what I have noticed are smurf village and juice defender ultimate. Juice defender really has helped my battery life a bit, and I can't get rid of smurfs because it is what keeps one of my kids quiet in the car. I am rooted/stock. It really is getting annoying as I have missed calls quite a bit from this. I know the calls are coming through because I have seen them come in, and tried to raise the ringer volume as the call is coming in, but it does nothing until I restart.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I don't have either of those games installed, but I also lose the ringer occasionally. The two likeliest culprits from what I have noticed are smurf village and juice defender ultimate. Juice defender really has helped my battery life a bit, and I can't get rid of smurfs because it is what keeps one of my kids quiet in the car. I am rooted/stock. It really is getting annoying as I have missed calls quite a bit from this. I know the calls are coming through because I have seen them come in, and tried to raise the ringer volume as the call is coming in, but it does nothing until I restart.

Have you tried uninstalling and (without a reboot) calling yourself to see if it rings?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'll download juice defender ultimate and let you know if I get anything (I've already paid for it long ago when I had my hero). I installed swf for s**** and giggles and lost mine.

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk 2

vic6string

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
The issue only happens sometimes.... There is no regular time or situation when it happens. I never know that it is happening until I notice missed calls. I may try uninstalling those two next time I notice it happening.

ram5772

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Like I said kahnefan I have yet to find which app if any is causing the problem because I obviously tried everything possible...yes everything that's why I assume its the phone itself not an app

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Update: uninstalled scramble and I havent had the loss of volume since. I have nome of the apps that others have mentioned either

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I've never installed said app and experienced this issue for the first time a few days ago. Rebooted the phone and sounds worked fine, and the issue hasn't happened since. This indicates there's a unique scenario that triggers this bug on our phones, and the aforementioned app causes the scenario but is not exclusive to the issue.

Motos bug, not an app devs.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I've never installed said app and experienced this issue for the first time a few days ago. Rebooted the phone and sounds worked fine, and the issue hasn't happened since. This indicates there's a unique scenario that triggers this bug on our phones, and the aforementioned app causes the scenario but is not exclusive to the issue.

Motos bug, not an app devs.

Or, there is a bug within certain apps which causes this to happen. My phone was fine for 6 months(?), before I installed SWF. I installed SWF, it happened. I uninstalled SWF, it stopped happening since. It is possible you, and others, have another app which is triggering the same issue as SWF. Now it's a matter of finding that app?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Or, there is a bug within certain apps which causes this to happen. My phone was fine for 6 months(?), before I installed SWF. I installed SWF, it happened. I uninstalled SWF, it stopped happening since. It is possible you, and others, have another app which is triggering the same issue as SWF. Now it's a matter of finding that app?

See that's my point though, it's unlikely we all had different apps made by the same dev which would all have the same flaw in the apk. It's more probable the issue lies with the OS and is being exposed by circumstances through various apps by various developers. With that logic, it would reason the OEM needs to patch as opposed to an unknown number of developers.

That is my line of thought though, could be completely off base. Also worth noting is it may be related to an update of one of the core gapps because I just experienced this issue for the first time and haven't installed a new app in a few weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1