Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Default Bad battery life?

Is anyone else experiencing poor battery life?

My phone only makes it about 10 hours before dying.

About 2.5 hours of talk, which is the #1 item on the battery usage chart. #2 is screen display.

I didn't leave the house today and my battery was dead by 5pm. (wifi on. BT, 4G, GPS off)

Anybody make it from wake to bed (with actually using your phone) without charging?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I'm trying juice defender again. I will see if that helps, I am also looking into 1950 and 3500 extended batteries.

I wonder if the one's for 12 bucks on ebay are really garbage or if thee are just fine.

Default Re: Bad battery life?

My personal opinion & experience

There is too many variables to state any phone's average battery life:

• Signal: low signal will drain your phone very fast as it constantly hunts for stronger signal
    • Background data & settings
    • Device Settings & Power Modes: Check online manual for info
    • APP's: Too many "variables" here as well
    • Other misc
    • Improper charger, over charging caused by bad charger / IC Chip
    • Battery degrades over times (OEM warranty is 1 year if bad batt)
    • Try sticking with OE Motorola Batts & Chargers
    • FYI: Droid III Battery fits, a little tight but back cover does fit with extra snap & a little more mAh (don't have the batt M # & mAh with me but search it)
    • Defective Phone or corrupt OS especially after update (try a FDR)

Other:

• Turn off unneeded features & use on the need basis

• Try rebooting and short battery pulls occasionally (1 - 3 days for moderate user or after several APP Updates) to clear up the cache & crap from fragmentation

• Try different settings but give it time to see results
    • There is not one setting for all
    • Battery saver programs are overrated & can cause missed notifications, other

As for your question: my battery life varies from 3 hours (very low indoor signal & on roam) to 19 hours (moderate tel, data, internet usage)

Again, everyone's phone batt life will vary.

Hope that may help you & others

Tip: Never rush to download any APP "Updates", read the feedback for a few days so that you can see if other people are having issues with it and/or changes to permissions or other you may not want! Always use a Back Up APP!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free DropBox! Back up to & Sync your Phone to your Computer Free! Always have your stuff when you need it with @ Dropbox . 2GB Plus account is Free! Plus earn up to 500 Mb's for each referral! Up to 32GB Free! http://db.tt/szmjeyX

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

So, you have Talk as your #1 item? Not Phone Idle & Display as #1 & #2?

I am able to get 1-2 days per charge.

However, I obviously use my phone way less than you do. 2-3 short phone calls/day, work syncs emails/cal with Lotus Traveler, Gmail, Tapatalk, some FM Radio at my office or music from my SD Card. A bit of websurfing (but not much)...

I usually plug it in at night around 50% full.

I haven't tried running mine from full to 0% in a long time though. Not bragging about battery life btw, I think you're on the phone a lot more than I am. I can do a 100% to 0% run if you want to compare the battery usage...but I suspect that'll do you little good as we have different usage patterns.

Let me know if you think that'll help.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I talk a lot on my phone, I don't think this thing will get anywhere near the rated 6 hour talk.

I need the RAZR MAXX.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    Is anyone else experiencing poor battery life?

My phone only makes it about 10 hours before dying.

About 2.5 hours of talk, which is the #1 item on the battery usage chart. #2 is screen display.

I didn't leave the house today and my battery was dead by 5pm. (wifi on. BT, 4G, GPS off)

Anybody make it from wake to bed (with actually using your phone) without charging?
    No not at all

Thats with internet browsing, texting, few games and music for about an hr

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

^ wow, I don't get anywhere near that.

After about 2.5 hours of talk, Web usage and 4G... My phone needs juice at about 5 hours.

If I get the EVO LTE , one of the first purchase will be a ginormous battery.

I want to leave 4G, gps, bluetooth, and wifi on all day and be able to talk a lot and have it last from wake to sleep.

The only way I can do that now is with all radios, except wifi, off, and very little usage.

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

After about 2.5 hours of talk, Web usage and 4G... My phone needs juice at about 5 hours.

I want to leave 4G, gps, bluetooth, and wifi on all day and be able to talk a lot and have it last from wake to sleep.

The only way I can do that now is with all radios, except wifi, off, and very little usage.
    Ah...well, I have no 4G towers here, so 4G is never on. Wifi & GPS stay off unless I need them.

(Old habits from my Windows Mobile days...)

Wimax 4g sucks battery so fast so good luck

Sent from my MoPho on The Sprint Network

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

For me it is all about signal. Strong signal = >15 hours, weak signal =< 10. 4G off always.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Yeah, my signal meter bar is always around 3/4 bars. That could be part of it. I've contemplated getting a 3000+ mah battery...ahh.
    Resident Linux Fiend

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Honestly, whats the point of using both wifi and 4g? At home, I use wifi even though I get 4g, keep 4g off and get tons of usage time...

And today has been rather heavy usage for me... Driving around listening to pandora

Swyped from my Photon using t-talk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    Honestly, whats the point of using both wifi and 4g? At home, I use wifi even though I get 4g, keep 4g off and get tons of usage time...

Click to view quoted image

And today has been rather heavy usage for me... Driving around listening to pandora

"Heavy usage" with 48% idle and 13% display eh?

This is my usage today, which was rather light actually:

I just recently reset my phone, and I've installed only a few apps: Tapatalk, IMDB, eBay and the scree capture app, so its not a rouge app.

If you look at my usage, the "phone signal" is almost always yellow, my phone must be using extra power to keep a cell connection, that must be the source of the drain. Oh well. I can't case a Photon with an extended battery, so I'll just keep my charger around.

The Photon is actually much better than my previous phones, but I want more juice!
    Last edited by dreamliner; 05-02-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Resident Linux Fiend

Global Posts
    1,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

For that part of the morning, that was heavy. Was at 78% and had pandora going for most of that on 3g...

Isn't the battery non-removable on the EVO LTE?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by KahneFan View Post
    Isn't the battery non-removable on the EVO LTE?
    I don't really know. Just as well I guess. Manufacturers never make cases to go along with their extended batteries anyhow.

I love the extended battery/case options available on iPhone.

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Here's my usage for today. I'm at 47% after 14 hours. The bump up in power is b/c I was using my Lapdock for about 15 mins at work...(needed to check FB, which is blocked at work).

Funny thing is, I listened to the FM Radio for a little bit, some tapatalk and the FB app on the phone as well, but they didn't meet the threshold to be listed I guess.

As you can see, I'm a light user, so my results are not comparable...but I can make it until tomorrow evening if I need to stretch it.

Last edited by dorelse; 05-03-2012 at 11:25 PM.

My other phone is a BlackBerry Style, and in my typical usage the MoPho wins pretty easily, when all is considered. On a busy day, the Style would need a replenishment every 4-5 hours. I've gone 7-9 averge on the Moto, and I'm a heavy abuser.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Yeah man, you barely use your phone. Lol.

Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

Yeah man, you barely use your phone. Lol.
    I know, right? ...but...just showing you that I don't have a strong signal all the time either and it doesn't drain my battery.

Thought that might help.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Yeah. I think the drain is just heavy usage.

Yes, in the past month it seems like my battery is draining much quicker than previous... Luckily I bought an extra, with a charger, for 15$ shipped, so pretty much answered my problems.

Though now that I see others are experiencing similar problems, maybe its an update or something?

what launcher are you using and are you rooted? i found go launcher and its widgets use alot. rooting and using superscript greatly fixes the battery drain, ram usage, and so on

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Android Central Forums