Cannot Add Yahoo Mail Account

queen70003

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
To setup your device mail client, you need to create an app password on Yahoo, in your account Info section (my mobile is a LG3) .
Sign into Yahoo Mail as you normally do on a Desktop Computer (can not do on a mobile device). Go to (top right). Help then Account Info . Scroll down to Sign- In and Security , Setup your second sign-in verification, click onto. It will bring you back to sign into Mail, go on and sign in, it then will bring you to Set up your sign-in verification. Go down to App passwords. Click onto Generate app password. It will generate your password that you then use as your password on your mobile device mail client. You will only use this password this one time . When entering your app password on your device, all you do is key in your ID/name and the app password, then click next. You then name it and next/done.

Hope this helps! It took me a while to find this info on Yahoo, hopefully I save you the trouble. Good luck!!

if there is a way to contact me on here you can do, to get link- new here so not sure..lol

Joe Smith25

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
It's really simple to add a Yahoo email to your phone you just need to get a app specific password for your phone from your yahoo account.

To do this just go into your yahoo Account Settings

and then go to Account Security.

You will then see Manage App Passwords and there you will create the app password for your mobile device.

Enter the password that is given to you and like magic yahoo will work on your phone without having to download the yahoo mail app.

So

STEP 1 Login to your yahoo using a computer

STEP 2 Go to Account Settings

STEP 3 Go to Account Security

STEP 4 Go to Manage APP Passwords

STEP 5 Create APP Password

STEP 6 Use password given to you and enter it on your mobile device

STEP 7 SUCCESS

Aggie Meerwald

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
You rock! I've searched for days for a solution and it has been distracting me to bits! I've joined up this forum just to say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Your message:
To setup your device mail client, you need to create an app password on Yahoo, in your account Info section (my mobile is a LG3) .
Sign into Yahoo Mail as you normally do on a Desktop Computer (can not do on a mobile device). Go to (top right). Help then Account Info . Scroll down to Sign- In and Security , Setup your second sign-in verification, click onto. It will bring you back to sign into Mail, go on and sign in, it then will bring you to Set up your sign-in verification. Go down to App passwords. Click onto Generate app password. It will generate your password that you then use as your password on your mobile device mail client. You will only use this password this one time . When entering your app password on your device, all you do is key in your ID/name and the app password, then click next. You then name it and next/done.

Hope this helps! It took me a while to find this info on Yahoo, hopefully I save you the trouble. Good luck!!

if there is a way to contact me on here you can do, to get link- new here so not sure..lol

sharjustice

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, please let me know what settings I should change this to. Its been an ongoing problem with my verizon yahoo account for a long time on my smart phones.

calmmont

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
june 2016:

none of the above solutions worked for my mom.

we got it to work with these steps:

• on your desktop (or whatever you use to already access your account), mouse over your name (upper right corner)
  • below your name, click "account info"
  • click "account security"
  • enable "Allow apps that use less secure sign in"

once we did that, we were able to successfully add a yahoo account.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Calmmont! That was it! I'm currently on Lollipop (5.1.1). I removed the Yahoo mail account from the Android mail app to try Yahoo's app, didn't like it and ran into this problem when trying to add Yahoo mail account back on with the Android mail app. I simply do not recall the "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" available as an option two years ago when I originally setup the Yahoo mail account.

smokydig

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
OK I finally got it to work and it's using the native android email app as well
first thing I did was to turn on pop3 in my yahoo account settings I also turned on to "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" in the security settings then I went to in this order on my phone which has marshmallow latest update
1.My Account
2. Add Account
3.choose the envelope with the @ sign on it
4. yahoo email address
5. yahoo password
5. check see password box
6. double check password
7. Next
8. Success
9. send emails between accounts to make sure it was a success:D

Last edited:

joyzhao

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
The info is very helpful. This morning I got a popup dialog then turned off "Allow apps..." without my awareness. I wish I have got this info from my first try.

OK I finally got it to work and it's using the native android email app as well
first thing I did was to turn on pop3 in my yahoo account settings I also turned on to "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" in the security settings then I went to in this order on my phone which has marshmallow latest update
1.My Account
2. Add Account
3.choose the envelope with the @ sign on it
4. yahoo email address
5. yahoo password
5. check see password box
6. double check password
7. Next
8. Success
9. send emails between accounts to make sure it was a success

Last edited by a moderator:

Fltoiachic

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
It's really simple to add a Yahoo email to your phone you just need to get a app specific password for your phone from your yahoo account.

To do this just go into your yahoo Account Settings

and then go to Account Security.

You will then see Manage App Passwords and there you will create the app password for your mobile device.

Enter the password that is given to you and like magic yahoo will work on your phone without having to download the yahoo mail app.

So

STEP 1 Login to your yahoo using a computer

STEP 2 Go to Account Settings

STEP 3 Go to Account Security

STEP 4 Go to Manage APP Passwords

STEP 5 Create APP Password

STEP 6 Use password given to you and enter it on your mobile device

STEP 7 SUCCESS

I have been trying for 3 months to log back into my account, it just stopped on day. I j had to resort to yahoo app which is horrible. I tried all the steps from previous answers, however, I do not even have the options you all are sharing?!?!?! WTH, it is driving me crazy and I want to delete the yahoo app so badddddddd, thank you to anyone who may be able to help as yahoo customer service is USELESS

Last edited by a moderator:

naomil

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Does not work on my samsung 5. I deleted the existing yahoo account from the android email because it froze. Tried to add it and am unable to. Would love any further solutions if any. Thanks

Fireloop77

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
*Solution*: Go to your "Account security" settings.
Select Allow apps that use less secure sign in.
To deny or turn off app access, deselect the undesired app.

tonyv9

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank you,
You are the only one with the correct information. I have tried everyone else info for the past 10 days and no luck.

Thank you!!!

mikdee

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Its a security issue
Yahoo does not like the default app for security reasons
You have 2 options
1 is to go into your Yahoo account and check the box to allow the app with low security
2 Is to download the Yahoo app on your new device from 'Play Store'

jjhjacobs

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Yahoo! mail disallows other devices from logging on reporting that an insecure server is being used. This can be changed, but I wouldn't recommend it from personal experience. Your account will be hacked.

Rather log onto Yahoo! mail from a computer.
  • Click the SETTINGS cogwheel top right
  • Click ACCOUNT INFO (bottom)
  • Click ACCOUNT SECURITY
  • Then look for something about enabling App Passwords. I've enabled mine now and my options have changed so I don't know what it used to say
  • Now mine says Generate App Password - click that
  • Select Android Mail from the list and then it will display a password
  • Reconnect your devices by going into the mailbox of your Yahoo! address(es) and change your INCOMING SERVER and OUTGOING SERVER settings
  • Change only the password. This does not change your Yahoo! password. Only your device uses it and it's the only password your device will use. Presumably you need a password for every non-Yahoo! email client you use on your Android device, and different ones for any other Android devices and clients you have.

Last edited:

jjhjacobs

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you,
You are the only one with the correct information. I have tried everyone else info for the past 10 days and no luck.

Thank you!!!

No no! Don't do that! Your email account will be hacked! Maybe not today or tomorrow, but sooner or later. I speak from experience.

I posted the solution above. Please use the GENERATE APP PASSWORD option instead.

msagn159

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
After spending the ENTIRE morning trying EVERYTHING in this thread to get my husbands galaxy tab back up and running.. to no avail... I clicked on the forgot password link on his tab and went through getting the verification code and it loaded right up! What a pain in the freaking butt! With all the technology we have now, they can't make it easier???

1. sign in and receive password error message
2. click forgot password.
3. send verification to phone
4. enter code
done!

dCentral

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Just discovered: Try the gmail app to add a "Yahoo" account; the Gmail app was pre-installed.

Prior, I could receive incoming Yahoo messages; but, not send. The gmail app added the yahoo account using some Google-defined, unlisted settings to the legacy android email app, and now I can send. I already had Allow apps enabled in Yahoo webmail (using a desktop app). Yahoo sent a message that the device was granted access.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay