Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By statdoc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Default Tempted by the EVO LTE?

Anybody here tempted by the EVO LTE? I know I would love to have it, I am a big fan of the screen.

I'm holding off because I need 4G, Sprint 3G is too slow for practical use. I also want to wait until I see what Motorola & Apple is bringing. There also appears to be a few issues here and there.

Plus, I'm sure if I wait and decide to get the EVO LTE anyway, a white one will turn up somewhere down the line (and of course, promptly go into a case).

If only the photon had a better screen, if only.

Default Re: Tempted by the EVO LTE?

No, for my purposes, signal is king, and HTCs are notorious for signal issues. It can be the prettiest, most awesome screen with an 8 core supermatic chip and a Transformer built in, but if it doesn't hold a signal, pbbbth!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I was pretty happy with my EVO signal strength, but the Samsungs I tried, haaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiillllllll no.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

honestly, with the 3 htc's i've had, i never had any signal issues...

its samsung who has the craptastic signal problems

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm not really tempted at all. An LTE phone with no guarantee when or even if I'll ever get LTE in my area? No thanks.

They say it on the Android Central podcast all the time, and I'm really starting to agree: "Don't buy a phone based on what it might do in the future, buy it for what it will do right now."

I like my Photon, and in a few months it will seem new with ICS. That will carry me for a while, until Sprint decides to install LTE service in my area (1-2 years?). At that point, I will get a Sprint Android phone that runs LTE. Until then, why bother?
    Derek_B likes this.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

I'll be getting lte in my area first half of this year... I'm adding a new line for my girlfriend but she's using her evo so... I'm thinking of e4lte or galaxy nexus...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    I'm thinking of e4lte or galaxy nexus...
    Take a stroll to the Galaxy Nexus forum, see if you have enough fingers to count the signal related threads, if you still want one I'll slap you.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

It will basically be a wifi only device... You think I'm gonna stop using my photon?

Plus, I live in a signal paradise....

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

I am NOT-Tempted...

Tip: Never rush to download any APP "Updates", read the feedback for a few days so that you can see if other people are having issues with it and/or changes to permissions or other you may not want! Always use a Back Up APP!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free DropBox! Back up to & Sync your Phone to your Computer Free! Always have your stuff when you need it with @ Dropbox . 2GB Plus account is Free! Plus earn up to 500 Mb's for each referral! Up to 32GB Free! http://db.tt/szmjeyX

Quote Originally Posted by Derek_B View Post
    I'm not really tempted at all. An LTE phone with no guarantee when or even if I'll ever get LTE in my area? No thanks.

They say it on the Android Central podcast all the time, and I'm really starting to agree: "Don't buy a phone based on what it might do in the future, buy it for what it will do right now."
    Precisely why I got the Photon in March. The phone works very well, and since I'm on the road all the time, the WiMax comes in handy until there are more reasons to own an LTE device anyway. By the time LTE becomes widespread, there will be handsets available at bargain prices. They're already getting enough out of my pocket as it is, so I hold off on the latest/greatest supercalifragilisticexpialidocious quad 4 phones, anyway.

Besides, let someone else beta test and see what they have to say after the new has worn off.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

I love the screen on the EVO LTE, but everything else seems to be business as usual for HTC...messed up software tinkering, light leakage, etc.

I really hope Motorola releases a phone with a quality screen like the EVO, or I may jump ship to Apple in the fall.

I think it's a combination of poor hardware quality / choices and the direction of the OS itself that is pushing me towards Apple.

I absolutely love the Google apps. I love Gmail app, I love Google Maps, I love love love the YouTube app. But I have been very disappointed and what I am seeing.

And quite frankly, I am getting tired of needing to go on the forums to figure out why a certain feature on my phone isn't working properly.

It's one thing to join and use a forum to customize your phone and enhance functionality. It's completely different if you need the forum to use your phone.

Yes, this is a mini rant. But I expect my phone to work properly, and I don't want to mess around with it anymore.

I'd stick with my Photon for awhile, but I really hate this PenTile screen.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

With news of a new device I can't help but to feel the itch of having it. But as Phil put it in one of his resolve series articles, I'm happy with the device I have.

I have been using my Evo LTE for about a week, also have a Photon and Epic Touch. The Photon is a better phone and the GPS works all the time. That being said, the evo is a serious upgrade over both. I'm having zero issues, and my 3G speeds are double. That was a nice surprise. I'm supposed to have LTE in Houston any day, so there's that. If I wasn't getting LTE soon, I wouldn't be so eager to jump.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Its like buying a car with no gas stations where u live! Sprint is stupid for doing this to these new phones. Its like they get stupider every year.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have no problem using my Evo4GLTE the way it is until LTE comes into my area later this year as the phone itself is phenomenal...:thumbup:

sent from my Evo4LTE
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    I love the screen on the EVO LTE, but everything else seems to be business as usual for HTC...messed up software tinkering, light leakage, etc.

I really hope Motorola releases a phone with a quality screen like the EVO, or I may jump ship to Apple in the fall.

I think it's a combination of poor hardware quality / choices and the direction of the OS itself that is pushing me towards Apple.

I absolutely love the Google apps. I love Gmail app, I love Google Maps, I love love love the YouTube app. But I have been very disappointed and what I am seeing.

And quite frankly, I am getting tired of needing to go on the forums to figure out why a certain feature on my phone isn't working properly.

It's one thing to join and use a forum to customize your phone and enhance functionality. It's completely different if you need the forum to use your phone.

Yes, this is a mini rant. But I expect my phone to work properly, and I don't want to mess around with it anymore.

I'd stick with my Photon for awhile, but I really hate this PenTile screen.
    Dude buy a wp or I phone and c how long before u come back to android

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2

If anyone else is tempted, Best Buy is giving $120 for the Photon. Making it a $30 cost to upgrade to the Evo LTE.

I'm definitely tempted but I'm seeing a lot of signal related threads crop up. I don't like the sound of that!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I'm definitely tempted but I'm seeing a lot of signal related threads crop up. I don't like the sound of that!
    Yeah, it's too bad. It looks like a great phone, but in my area, if my photon isn't on wifi, it's practically unusable for data.

Also, does anyone know, when you buy an LTE phone at Sprint, do they volunteer the info that there isn't an LTE network yet?

I've seen pretty much everywhere that the 4G network hasn't launched yet. I haven't actually talked to a salesman about it tho to see what they say.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    I've seen pretty much everywhere that the 4G network hasn't launched yet. I haven't actually talked to a salesman about it tho to see what they say.
    Thanks. I don't know. There's just something that kind of skeeves me out about the whole thing, I feel like they could generate some really angry customers on this one. It may just be me.

Their commercials don't really push LTE speeds or anything, but they definitely don't say "network coming soon" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek_B View Post
    Thanks. I don't know. There's just something that kind of skeeves me out about the whole thing, I feel like they could generate some really angry customers on this one. It may just be me.

Their commercials don't really push LTE speeds or anything, but they definitely don't say "network coming soon" either.
    yea that's true.... i feel ya.