Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gogators1974
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Photon Q

Just passed thru fcc, destined for sprint with lte! Any one know the specs?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Well it has a keyboard for one..but who would want that seriously ...

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    lshuman likes this.

Default Re: Photon Q

There is a bit of debate of which SOC the Photon Q will be running. Some say quad-core Snapdragon, some say it will run the same Snapdragon dual core soc that every other lte sprint phone has.

It does have a keynboard, which i could take it or leave it. a pic of it is
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by gogators1974 View Post
    Well it has a keyboard for one..but who would want that seriously ...

Me. Honestly, I miss my physical keyboard... so much harder to text and drive without it... And emulators work better when you have the physical keyboard mapped.

Sent using my MoPho-King photon
    Banned

There will be no quad core phones in the states until December... Plus this phone has not be labeled as the "new photon" its just rumor on the name part. Can't see going from the first photon to possibly a smaller screen and a keyboard

The photon q according to bgr has a 4.3 inch screen, the same size as the photon.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

GSM radio too? i.e. 'world phone'?
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

No quad core til december? Seriously? Who died and made you nostradamus?

Doubtful on quad, but hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by tirith View Post
    No quad core til december? Seriously? Who died and made you nostradamus?

Doubtful on quad, but hopeful.

I hope this info is helpful.

Qualcomm currently only supplies one CDMA/LTE radio chipset to vendors. That radio requires drivers that lock the vendor into only a few SoC implementations. Currently, those are the single-core CPU in the LG Viper, the dual-core CPU in the Motorola Droid 4 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the dual-core TI OMAP in the Droid RAZR MAXX (I think, not sure about that one), and the latest dual-core Qualcomm Krait in the SGS3 and the HTC EVO LTE.

Both the SGS3 and EVO LTE are essentially implementations of the Krait reference platform:

So, if Motorola is also building an LTE phone for Sprint or Verizon, and they don't want it to be dog-***-slow, they're going to use the Krait. Unless they go backwards and use the 1.2 GHz Snapdragon in the Droid 4 or the MAXX's TI CPU.

Qualcomm has nothing in the pipeline that bests the Krait that will work with their CDMA/LTE radio, at least nothing they've discussed publicly.

So, if the phone passed the FCC recently, it's got a dual-core CPU in it. If Qualcomm has a quad-core in the works, they aren't saying. Not sure where "December" would come from, but it's safe to say you won't see it this year.

That dual-core Krait does beat the quad-core Exynos in some benchmarks, so it's no slouch. And, it actually has a separate GPU in addition to the two CPUs. If the Photon Q is a variant of the Krait reference platform, it could be pretty nice. If it's another MAXX or Droid 4....yawn. Well, not really a yawner, but I don't know what would separate it from those two in the market if it's not any sort of improvement.

I'm keeping my eye on this one because I'd like a global phone. Not that there's any proof it will be global :-)

--Qfg
    Last edited by Q-fugee; 07-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    Rytirith 

I'm keeping my eye on this one because I'd like a phone with a good keyboard. Disappointed that it's landscape, and not portrait, but that seems to be what moto does. Better for the web, not as good for email. I do more email, but, oh well.

People with the most recent couple of droids like the moto keyboards, so I'm optimistic on that count.
    Thanked by:
    tirith 
    Banned

Its been on Android Central several times and phandroid

Banned

Like i said no quad core

The quad core exynos chip has been made LTE complaint and should be ready shortly according to , so Quad cores could see a fall, early winter debut in the USA, unless Nvidia pulls a fast one (which they have a tegra-3 lte compliant chip in testing that got caught on in a benchmark result) and pushes one out in the summer.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Q-fugee View Post
    I hope this info is helpful.

Qualcomm currently only supplies one CDMA/LTE radio chipset to vendors. That radio requires drivers that lock the vendor into only a few SoC implementations. Currently, those are the single-core CPU in the LG Viper, the dual-core CPU in the Motorola Droid 4 and Samsung Galaxy Nexus, the dual-core TI OMAP in the Droid RAZR MAXX (I think, not sure about that one), and the latest dual-core Qualcomm Krait in the SGS3 and the HTC EVO LTE.

Both the SGS3 and EVO LTE are essentially implementations of the Krait reference platform:

So, if Motorola is also building an LTE phone for Sprint or Verizon, and they don't want it to be dog-***-slow, they're going to use the Krait. Unless they go backwards and use the 1.2 GHz Snapdragon in the Droid 4 or the MAXX's TI CPU.

Qualcomm has nothing in the pipeline that bests the Krait that will work with their CDMA/LTE radio, at least nothing they've discussed publicly.

So, if the phone passed the FCC recently, it's got a dual-core CPU in it. If Qualcomm has a quad-core in the works, they aren't saying. Not sure where "December" would come from, but it's safe to say you won't see it this year.

That dual-core Krait does beat the quad-core Exynos in some benchmarks, so it's no slouch. And, it actually has a separate GPU in addition to the two CPUs. If the Photon Q is a variant of the Krait reference platform, it could be pretty nice. If it's another MAXX or Droid 4....yawn. Well, not really a yawner, but I don't know what would separate it from those two in the market if it's not any sort of improvement.

I'm keeping my eye on this one because I'd like a global phone. Not that there's any proof it will be global :-)

--Qfg
    The Photon Q runs an S4.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Be interested to see it live, but I've adapted well to the Photons' virtual keyboard, so I have no complaints at this time.