Anyone else have trouble depositing checks with the Photon?

hopfrog

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have a bank account with Fidelity Investments, and I often have trouble using my phone to deposit checks into it. Of course I'm using the Fidelity Android app that's supposed to let you snap a picture of a check to deposit it.

Tonight even when I placed the phone on a solid surface, windexed the lens, and put lights around the check, I still got a message that the app can't read the numbers at the bottom of the check.

This is very annoying! I wonder if anyone else has this problem, and also whether anyone has any ideas for achieving better results when trying to use the Photon to deposit checks.

Many thanks.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I use usaa which has a similar feature...

Try taking the camera off widescreen, use the next setting down...?

Edit - in camera capture mode, menu-settings-picture resolution-8mp

If you are using widescreen, (which is default on the phone) most apps like this don't recognize it correctly.

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

autoexec.bat

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
If you're sending the check images over 3G or 4G, Sprint will automatically compress them which introduces artifacts into the image, causing them to be rejected. If you send over WiFi they should go through just fine without compression. Tested this with the Charles Schwab app and have a 100% success rate over Wifi.

Hi, I have a bank account with Fidelity Investments, and I often have trouble using my phone to deposit checks into it. Of course I'm using the Fidelity Android app that's supposed to let you snap a picture of a check to deposit it.

Tonight even when I placed the phone on a solid surface, windexed the lens, and put lights around the check, I still got a message that the app can't read the numbers at the bottom of the check.

This is very annoying! I wonder if anyone else has this problem, and also whether anyone has any ideas for achieving better results when trying to use the Photon to deposit checks.

Many thanks.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're sending the check images over 3G or 4G, Sprint will automatically compress them which introduces artifacts into the image, causing them to be rejected. If you send over WiFi they should go through just fine without compression. Tested this with the Charles Schwab app and have a 100% success rate over Wifi.

For some reason I do not have that issue over 3\4g

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

South Cherry

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem with my new nexus 7 at first. I finally was very careful in lining up the check with the corner locatorsm minimizing any excess black border, maximizing size of check, held it very still, and when I hit send, I also held it very still. I'm thinking maybe it looks for location during the uploading for security purposes or ???? It's finished taking the picture, so I don't know why this would matter, unless the app developer forgot to shut off some portion of the image acquisition process. Anyhow, until I did this, the whole app just shut off during the upload process. (When it stopped working before, I was first taking the pic, then moving before I sent it, so that my device was right in front of my router so it would upload with a better signal than in the spot where I could get bright lighting. Now that I think about it, it shut off every time I moved during the upload). I was able to upload front and back and the deposit showed up as pending, and the app didn't shut off!!! Weird.

Kip Dole

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Write a line on the back of the check. Now the camera will have something to focus on and it will work.
I had the same problem and someone at work gave me the solution.

keywords
android
deposit
focus
on line banking

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech