Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tirith
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lost Root after OTA 2.3.5 Update

I have Sprint Photon 4g and recently did the 2.3.5 update, since then have lost root and Wifi Tether I had. I've spent past two days looking for solutions, but nothing precise.
    So, if you have been successful in gained root back since the 2.3.5 update a few days ago, let me know.
    Many thanks !

G.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Default Re: Lost Root after OTA 2.3.5 Update

I have never rooted, so I have no information on rooting with the new update, but if you need to root just for WiFi tether, try FoxFi instead. It does not require rooting.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply, but FoxFi only allows WPA on my phone and I prefer WPA2-PSK. Could not seem to change encryption, hopefully there's a solution to the root issue.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

I swear this is the last time I'm linking this....

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1956104

(I'm probably wrong with my statement)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    nick nexus s 4g likes this.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

I am using FoxFi now. When setting it up, FoxFi does say WPA-PSK instead of WPA2-PSK, but my computer reports it is a WPA2 connection.

Went to the FoxFi site. The site says it uses WPA2 encryption.
    Last edited by japark; 07-21-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Torpedo method worked! First time I rooted my phone, Wifi tether works... so what else can I do? Can I install Cyanogenmod7 with 2.3.5 or have to wait for it to work with new update?
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

You need to wait for unlocked bootloader....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Already looked at that and many others, however I have not seen an actual re-root video since the OTA 2.3.5 update. My Sprint phone was already rooted and WiFi tether worked great. But now it does not. So depending on which way you look at your statement, yes you are wrong.
    So, I have a Sprint Motorola Photon 4g which has had the latest OTA update (wish I had not done it....) I've tired using command prompt and also emulator, then only thing I've noticed is that my phone does not have a data/tmp folder, but I do have a tmp folder on the sd card.
    If anyone knows a link to a how to do it video which has been made since the update, let me know the link.

Thanks !

Go see the tutorial with linx & follow thru step by step video: July 18th post

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

Not necessary to have unlocked boatloader to re-root
    I updated to 2.3.5 with bootloader locked & I re-rooted my MoPho.
    Look at this link on the July 18th post

Sent from my rooted MB855 running stock 2.3.5 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    mkoso 

ROM
    MIUIv4

Qbking77 just made a new video using mof's new automated root tool. Check it out on YouTube

Sent from my CodeNamed JellyBean MoPho
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog527 View Post
    Qbking77 just made a new video using mof's new automated root tool. Check it out on YouTube

Sent from my CodeNamed JellyBean MoPho
    Although the text description indicates 2.3.4 & 2.3.5. it does not work for 2.3.5, he states this in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by gphesq View Post
    Although the text description indicates 2.3.4 & 2.3.5. it does not work for 2.3.5, he states this in the video.

Many others have reported Re-Rooting with the 2.3.5 update.

Just follow the video & instructions to the letter, especially the USB debugging mode. It may take a few attempts.

You can also check over the Photon area @ the XDA Forum for more info.

Hope that helps.

Tip: Never rush to download any APP "Updates", read the feedback for a few days so that you can see if other people are having issues with it and/or changes to permissions or other you may not want! Always use a Back Up APP!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free DropBox! Back up to & Sync your Phone to your Computer Free! Always have your stuff when you need it with @ Dropbox . 2GB Plus account is Free! Plus earn up to 500 Mb's for each referral! Up to 32GB Free! http://db.tt/szmjeyX

Yo, was wondering if u can help me... im new to the root deal and u seemed to be of alot of help on here so I thought I would ask you. I have a note 2 and my messages keep failing. Can I update my prl on my phones settings without it messing up my root or tether? Not trying to update a firmware just prl... thanks in advance for any help or response
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

You can update profile and prl no problem.

Swyped from my Galaxy Note II on the Now Network