Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Derek_B's Avatar

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default ICS delayed for Photon

    Motorola updates device software upgrade timeline, several ICS updates delayed | Android Central


    The list at Motorola's site for the Photon just says "Further plans coming soon."

    Discuss.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    May be no ICS but jb because ics was in development as per previous notification so they might be doing further things.

    Sent from Motorola Photon 4G via Reliance
  3. #3  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    I don't really want a $100 trade-in towards a new Motorola phone. What I want is an upgrade on this one. Hmmm, I guess that's a reply to the linked article, not to this thread.

    I can be optimistic and hope that means they will skip ICS and upgrade us to JB in a month or two. It's not supposed to be a big step to go from ICS to JB, so that's not out of the question. On the other hand, I used to have a Pre, and my gut feeling is that when a concrete promise is replaced with "further plans to be announced" it means "tough nuggies, you're not getting what we promised".
    twbrooklyn likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    To all interested parties, go to Motorola's VP of Product Management's Google+ page and voice your concerns. There are many Bionic and Atrix owners voicing their concerns there and it looks like he is reading the comments and responding to some.

    https://plus.google.com/+PunitSoni/posts

    Scroll down to the post dated Sep 5, 2012 with a picture from Moto's office..
    jabwtv likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Derek_B's Avatar

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I used to have a Pre, and my gut feeling is that when a concrete promise is replaced with "further plans to be announced" it means "tough nuggies, you're not getting what we promised".
    I used to have a Pre as well. At least Motorola didn't say that we would see ICS sometime "...in the coming months."
  6. #6  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    If my Photon does not get the upgrade I will not purchase another Motorola product. Samsung did the same thing and I will not buy one of their products (even though the Siii and the Note look awesome) because of lack of support. I got burned on the Epic where they promised and update BEFORE I decided to purchase the phone and never delivered, Motorola has done the same thing (or are). I do not care about the $100 dollar rebate since I would be in the same boat next year with an outdated device, and who knows if you will ever actually see the rebate.

    I actually like Motorola's line up as well, the Xoom and the equipment they sell to help you while working out. all good stuff, but it does not look like any of my hard earned money will be going to them. I will have to find another company to do business with.

    I can only assume I will have to get the Nexus on Straight Talk.
    jabwtv likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzardjrt View Post
    If my Photon does not get the upgrade I will not purchase another Motorola product. Samsung did the same thing and I will not buy one of their products (even though the Siii and the Note look awesome) because of lack of support. I got burned on the Epic where they promised and update BEFORE I decided to purchase the phone and never delivered, Motorola has done the same thing (or are). I do not care about the $100 dollar rebate since I would be in the same boat next year with an outdated device, and who knows if you will ever actually see the rebate.

    I actually like Motorola's line up as well, the Xoom and the equipment they sell to help you while working out. all good stuff, but it does not look like any of my hard earned money will be going to them. I will have to find another company to do business with.

    I can only assume I will have to get the Nexus on Straight Talk.
    Not every company is going to upgrade every one of their phones. At the rate you are going, you will have blacklisted every good phone manufacturer within the next couple of years.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    I agree with those who think that this means a leap frog to JB, but don't like the further delays. We have already been moved back once, now we have no quarter to even look to. I, too, have the Pre- experience, but was waiting on decent hardware that was not delivered (10 minute reboot, anyone?). At least this phone has solid hardware, and we can mod if it comes down to it.
    Derek_B likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    This is inexcusable. No upgrade, no more Motorola phones for me. The other 2 phones I had considered purchasing before I bought this phonre, HTC EVO 3D and Samsung Epic 4G Touch, both now have ICS.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    So much for my optimism. Comes from being a Pre owner. I also have read that the supposed $100 rebate will not apply to Sprint owners, but have not been able to substantiate that. Either way, there is no current Moto phone on Sprint that I would consider at this time. I am holding out hope for Drivers to be released so that the devs at XDA can get this thing running properly on CM10. I may be hoping long after my next year is up with this phone, though.
  11. #11  
    dorelse's Avatar

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    969 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by dalebert54 View Post
    So much for my optimism. Comes from being a Pre owner. I also have read that the supposed $100 rebate will not apply to Sprint owners, but have not been able to substantiate that. Either way, there is no current Moto phone on Sprint that I would consider at this time. I am holding out hope for Drivers to be released so that the devs at XDA can get this thing running properly on CM10. I may be hoping long after my next year is up with this phone, though.
    Punit Soni's statement was pretty clear:

    "Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

    We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup."
  12. #12  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by dorelse View Post
    Punit Soni's statement was pretty clear:

    "Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

    We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup."
    Pardon me if I dont take Mr Soni's "pretty clear" statement with less than a pinch of salt, but thanks for the quote. I suppose we have a couple of months of Fall to go, so we shall see!
  13. #13  
    dorelse's Avatar

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    969 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Sorry, I couldn't tell if you'd seen the statement or not.

    I agree that anything they say isn't worth the paper its printed on...I do wonder what "Fall" means to them. My guess is anything before Christmas.
    dalebert54 likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by dorelse View Post
    Punit Soni's statement was pretty clear:

    "Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

    We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup."
    Please remember that the rebate program requires you to mail your old phone in. You may or may not be able to get more than $100 for your device in the open market.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    With the latest news from Google that there are additional cuts at Motorola Mobility, I am not sure what the likelihood there is for us to receive JB without continued pressure on them to change their minds or at least release an official unlocked bootloader and drivers for the developer community to support and do it.

    Google broadening Motorola job cuts outside US, to take $390M charge for severance, exit costs - The Washington Post
    Ry likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    It is official friends... no ICS or JB for the Photon.

    The Motorola website says we are staying on GB.

    https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c
  17. #17  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Motorola is dirty.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    That settles it. Im getting the Photon Q at the end of my contract and if i dont switch from Sprint to Verizon. If I cant have ICS/JB on my Photon, Im getting the Photon Q that already runs on ICS and eventually JB.

    Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post
    That settles it. Im getting the Photon Q at the end of my contract and if i dont switch from Sprint to Verizon. If I cant have JB on my Photon, Im getting the Photon Q that already runs on JB.

    Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums
    Congrats! You are doing exactly what they were hoping you would do. Way to stick it to the man.
    christianttt likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    hey. If I get a better phone out of the deal, its a win-win situation. no harm in that is there?

    Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums
  21. #21  
    Lokifish Marz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Um... the Q is not a better phone. You are paying Moto the cost of your Photon plus the cost of the Q for slight overclock and ICS. If you are 2.3.4, give me the $200 instead and I'll give you JB on your Photon.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    I got my photon free. And im running 2.3.5

    Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums
  23. #23  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
    Um... the Q is not a better phone. You are paying Moto the cost of your Photon plus the cost of the Q for slight overclock and ICS. If you are 2.3.4, give me the $200 instead and I'll give you JB on your Photon.
    So have you developed a JB ROM that works? I have never rooted/flashed a thing, but may be willing to go forward if it works.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish Marz View Post
    Um... the Q is not a better phone. You are paying Moto the cost of your Photon plus the cost of the Q for slight overclock and ICS. If you are 2.3.4, give me the $200 instead and I'll give you JB on your Photon.
    I might take you up on that. :-)
  25. #25  
    Lokifish Marz's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: ICS delayed for Photon

    The comment was meant more as sarcasm. There a bunch of JB stuff coming down from the Atrix leak that looks very promising. Give a little while.
    dalebert54 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ICS for Photon
    By justindcarter79 in forum Sprint Photon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM
  2. Otterbox cases for Photon
    By Ejay62 in forum Sprint Photon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
  3. Production Delays for the 8.9?
    By DonnaJ415 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
  4. Is the bionic being delayed for the thunderbolt?
    By jayblazer in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM
  5. Froyo delays for HTC
    By marko358 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions