• 1 Post By jabwtv
  • 1 Post By japark
  • 1 Post By STARGATE
  • 1 Post By Derek_B
  • 3 Post By Derek_B
  • 3 Post By STARGATE
  • 1 Post By STARGATE
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking about upgrading to a new phone.

I am still on contract for at least another year, and I have my eyes on the Photon Q. I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion on waiting until my contract is up and getting the Q, or if I should be waiting until I near the end of my contract to look for a newer model of the Photon than the Q. Any thoughts would help.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Thinking about upgrading to a new phone.

I am in a similar situation, and will wait until contract time to really consider what phone to get. Lots will happen over the next 8-12 months. After all of the crapola from Motorola not updating my Photon, I am leaning Nexus, but it depends on what is available come August for me. The Q could be EOL in a year, not to mention left in the dust by Moto by that time. That would be like purchasing a Photon RIGHT NOW.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

EOL?

I would not recommend any phone from Motorola due to a lack of support. I am a Photon 4G owner

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Slender Troll likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

What does EOL mean? And the only reason I would not get a new phone would be if i am able to root my Photon 4G before my contract ends. I have always liked Motorola, and have never had any real problems with their products, so I have never really needed the support. I don't want to limit myself to sprint, but i want to stay away from AT&T... There is one thing I am sure of, however, I want a phone that runs on ICS/JB or higher from stock.

Sent from my stock MB855 using Android Central Forums

Eol simply means end of life.

It's just before a phone goes into the crapper

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jabwtv View Post
    I would not recommend any phone from Motorola due to a lack of support. I am a Photon 4G owner
    What brand would you recommend, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Slender Troll View Post
    EOL?

didnt mean to leave you hanging there, but Hustleman covered it. I agree with you on liking Moto up to this point and wanting JB Stock, but I dont think I can afford to be a Moto-fanboy if this current situation is where we are left by doing so. Fool me once... BUT if Moto does a Nexus model by the time my contract rolls around I may consider them again. As before, lots of time between now and then.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dalebert54 View Post
    As before, lots of time between now and then.
    I'm starting to think there would be enough time between now and the end of my contract (Dec 2013) that KLP (Key Lime Pie) will be used on most android phones anyways. So that will probably be the next big thing...

ROM
    Stock

What brand would you recommend, then?

Based on the logic of Support, Apple is at the top of the list, I personally like LG but believe that Samsung S3 is your best bet due to the number of devices sold. And that is the bottom line, the manufacturer supports phones that sell.
    ROM: ThunderRom 1.8.3 (best battery life and features... even "Dead")
    Kernel: XioniaRedux 2.6.32.33-ck2 08312011 ( I love the multi touch!)

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by selvian View Post
    Based on the logic of Support, Apple is at the top of the list, I personally like LG but believe that Samsung S3 is your best bet due to the number of devices sold. And that is the bottom line, the manufacturer supports phones that sell.
    Not really. Samsung phones have poor radios. Had a Samsung Moment which continually dropped and missed calls. Asked Samsung for an upgrade path to a phone which actually worked. Samsung said they would be happy to exchange the Moment for another [poor performing] Moment. When asked for a better solution, the response was that they would swap the phone for a cheaper and older model.

I have decided not to have any more Samsung phones.

Motorola makes the best phones, but they have decided not to support their phones.

Not much left. I suppose HTC. Not as well designed or functioning as Motorola, but they support their phones. The HTC EVO 3D my daughter has was upgraded to ICS this summer.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I'm also a Motorola Photon 4G owner and love that phone, and I have always liked Motorola because of the great radios, better signal and phone calls compared to others, according to the experts anyway.

Unfortunately Motorola has been lying to all of us saying we were getting ICS and now they just sit on their a$$ and tell us we will be stuck with GB!

My contract is up until Sep 2013, but if the rumors about Sprint selling the Galaxy S3 on Nov 23 for $50 are true, well, I will try my hardest to get me that phone and that deal. I do have reservations about the radios on the SGS3 because I never used a Samsung phone before, but refuse to enter 2013 without ICS at least! And will not recommend or use another Motorola device, well, maybe someday if they stop lying to us and actually do what they promise!

Stupid HP and stupid Leo Idiotheker didn't do good on their promise and burned us Palm Prē owners! Now HP will never see any money from me, my family or friends. And now Motorola is burning us Photon 4G users! The hell with HP and Motorola!

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by selvian View Post
    I am staying away from Apple and Samsung.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by japark View Post
    Not much left. I suppose HTC. Not as well designed or functioning as Motorola, but they support their phones. The HTC EVO 3D my daughter has was upgraded to ICS this summer.
    I looked at the EVO 3D. Then I thought, "Who else do I know that has a 3D capable phone?" No one. which makes the 3D capability kind of pointless. then again, it means you can shoot 3D video and post it on youtube... so idk

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I bought a Sprint GNex online for a good price to replace the Photon. I'll sell the MoPho (how appropriate that nickname feels now! ) on eBay to recoup some of the cost. This will carry me through to the end of my Sprint contract. I just couldn't stand to use the Photon anymore after Motorola repeatedly lied to us. I'm done with Moto for a good long time, maybe forever. I refuse to deal with a company that lies to its customers early and often!
    Last edited by Derek_B; 10-13-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE-SG1 View Post
    Stupid HP and stupid Leo Idiotheker didn't do good on their promise and burned us Palm Prē owners! Now HP will never see any money from me, my family or friends. And now Motorola is burning us Photon 4G users! The hell with HP and Motorola!
    I'm still amazed how many of us former Pre owners ended up on the Photon. Man, is this a bad group to do this to! We've already been burned multiple times. No wonder I feel so ticked off at Motorola!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Recently looked at the EVO 4G LTE from Sprint... looks like a decent phone. Any thoughts?

I think it's a good phone, but it all comes down to preference.

I'm lookin at the Samsung GS3 but the screen is a tad too big. But anything can happen.

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Derek_B View Post
    I'm still amazed how many of us former Pre owners ended up on the Photon. Man, is this a bad group to do this to! We've already been burned multiple times. No wonder I feel so ticked off at Motorola!
    I guess many of us Prē owners felt it was time for a change after 2 loyal years and nothing in return from Palm/HP. The logical choice for us was the Photon since we were waiting on an international Prē 3 that never came, the Photon also gave us a chance to take one notification off at a time and was the best phone in Sprint around that time.

The fact is, we had been burned before and now Moto does it to us?! Hell, we are right to be upset!!!

Last edited by STARGATE-SG1; 10-13-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Recently looked at the EVO 4G LTE from Sprint... looks like a decent phone. Any thoughts?

I have used it in the store and it really bothers me a lot that Sprint didn't keep the original beautiful design of the HTC ONE X! I also compared it to the SGS3 and I would be torn between these 2 if Sprint kept the original design. So in that matter I prefer the SGS3.

I had the original Evo and the Evo 3D, both for only 30 days and they were good devices, so I know HTC is a good choice. However, I have seen many more complaints about the Evo LTE then the SGS3.

There was a Sprint/Samsung event here in Raleigh about 2 months ago and I had plenty of time with the SGS3, and if the rumor about Sprint selling the SGS3 for $50 on Nov 23 are true then I'm most definitely jumping on the SGS3 bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by phillykish View Post
    I think it's a good phone, but it all comes down to preference.

I'm lookin at the Samsung GS3 but the screen is a tad too big. But anything can happen.

Well, the dimensions are almost the same, although the display on the HTC is brighter if you compare it side by side with the SGS3. But if you hold the SGS3 on your hand you'll see the screen is beautiful and it doesn't bother you one bit, this coming from a person with small hands and fingers.

Like you said, it all comes down to preferences!

Thanked by: