Photon Owner's Comments, Issues, and Reviews

Shawheim

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Photon Owner's Thoughts, Comments, and Reviews

I'm interested on seeing pics and hearing what you think about the phone. What was your previous phone?

i just got the evo 3d 3 weeks ago and i had the evo 4g before that. i have a thread up on here with pics and my initial thoughts.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I got mine in the mail today after pre-ordering yesterday and I have to say that I really like it so far. I mentioned in another thread that my 4G signal seems to be stronger than my EVO and the battery seems better too.

Reactions: JackG058

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is my first Android phone, after being a Blackberry guy for a couple years, and Windows Phone before that. So far, I really like it. I love the way it is easy to customize almost everything. I have been able to either install Android versions of my old programs, or easily find equivalents. I realize this is not much of a review, but as a general impression from someone without any Android experience, so far, no issues at all.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I added a number of media review links in the opening post. They love the photon!

Sprint Motorola Photon 4G review - Part 1 | Android Central
"Oh, Moto. What is this little piece of sexy you've dropped off in front of us? OK, maybe little isn't the right word. We're looking at yet another 4.3-inch black slab smartphone in Sprint's Motorola Photon 4G. And a dual-core phone at that. With 4G Wimax data. And it's relatively light. (Or at least relatively not heavy.)"

Boy Genius Report: Motorola PHOTON 4G review
"The Motorola PHOTON 4G is Motorola’s first real 4G handset, and it’s a winner. It easily trumps Sprint’s other flagship device for the summer, the HTC EVO 3D...."

Motorola Photon 4G Review | Android Community
"What you’ve got here is a solid piece of hardware in the handset tied to some well thought out docks with software and functionality that make this the most full dual-core package on the market today. NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor is running the show here, so you know you’re in for the slickest and smoothest ride on the market..."

PCWorld: Motorola Photon 4G Review: A Phone That Mixes Business With Pleasure
"Of all the Motorola phones we've seen this year, the Photon is definitely the best of the pack. The design is one-of-a-kind, and the Tegra 2 processor paired with Sprint's 4G network is hard to beat."

Laptop Magazine: Motorola Photon 4G Reviewed: Work and Play Powerhouse
"The Motorola Photon 4G is one powerful and versatile smartphone, boasting a first-rate industrial design, brilliant display, excellent gaming performance, and a sharp (albeit sluggish) camera. The HDMI mirroring works smoothly, and those looking for desktop-like functionality can spring for the HD Station dock. Mobile professionals will appreciate the global roaming capability--though not the cost of roaming--as well as the Exchange support and security features."

Motorola PHOTON 4G Review - SlashGear
"For what you pay for this is an extremely powerful and versatile phone..."

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I almost skipped this phone while waiting for the GS2. This looks like everything I've been waiting for and more. The av dock and car dock look incredible. I think I'm in.

Razgriz24

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an issue...every couple of hours, my phone stops working...I can't hear anything from the speaker and no one can hear me on the other end. A power cycle fixes it though. I've had to do that 3 times already today though.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm having an issue...every couple of hours, my phone stops working...I can't hear anything from the speaker and no one can hear me on the other end. A power cycle fixes it though. I've had to do that 3 times already today though.

You might wanna get that checked out then.

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This is my first Android phone, after being a Blackberry guy for a couple years, and Windows Phone before that. So far, I really like it. I love the way it is easy to customize almost everything. I have been able to either install Android versions of my old programs, or easily find equivalents. I realize this is not much of a review, but as a general impression from someone without any Android experience, so far, no issues at all.

I'm glad to hear from someone who has had time to play with this. I just ordered mine and I should get it by 8/4. I don't really need to upgrade as I have the htc evo shift 4g (which I love). But, I couldn't resist this phone due to some of the features this phone offered.

I think you'll like android. Android like blackberry has some aspects that you would like to change but I prefer Android OS over iOS and blackberry os. I have had blackberry's for work and personal use before and I still use blackberry for work. In fact I currently have a blackberry curve running BB os 6 for my work phone and I prefer Android.

stercast

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Photon Owners: Concerns and Issues

My biggest concern with this phone now is that no one seems to know whether or not it has the PenTile screen of the Droid X2 and other Moto phones. The hands-on write-ups and vids following its announcement don't make mention of it, and some even claim it's the best screen they've seen on a Motorola phone, so maybe we'll dodge the PenTile bullet.
it does have a pentile screen

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
My only issue has to do with the Android OS, and not really anything with the phone itself. I am really annoyed that it doesn't handle IMAP email accounts properly, but I see that this has been discussed for a couple years. I need to try some of the other email programs out there.

The Photon is running great. No problems with it, at all!

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

This has happened once to me as well. I power cycled and haven't had the issue since. I'll keep a lookout for it, though. Very strange.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Only two complaints so far:

1. The display - a bit jittery with motion, and doesn't seem to display gradients well. Maybe it doesn't show enough colors? Plenty bright and sharp, though. Not fond of the black on white menus instead of CM7's white on black, but I can get used to it.

2. The phone doesn't go into dock mode in the car dock with the most minimalist case installed. Maybe the magnet detector doesn't penetrate the case? Don't know, but I don't like it. Will go without a case until someone figures this out.

Otherwise, the phone is fantastic. I can see that I'll likely be dumping Touch Wiz for Go Launcher or Launcher Pro pretty quickly, but I'm going to give it more of a chance first.

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine this morning. Already I've noticed my signal runs about 1 bar better than my EVO 4G. Screen is gorgeous. I don't see any negative about the screen. Plus, the screen doesn't pick up fingerprints nearly as bad as my EVO. This thing is fast. I'm still loading up programs from the Market and Amazon App stores, but it seems to download more quickly, and definitely installs programs quicker than my EVO did. Haven't seen any lag at all. I have to admit I've already switched to Launcher Pro though. Nothing wrong with the Moto edition, but I've always preferred the customer launchers.

Pictures of the phone really don't do justice. It is a very attractive phone, and feels really good in the hand. The build quality just feels stellar. And I agree with the reviews I've seen, Moto paid a lot of attention to the little details, which just makes this phone seem even better.

The weight is weird. While I'm fairly sure it is on par with the EVO, it feels lighter somehow. I can't explain this one. Just compare to the EVO and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Well, I'm glad I waited for this device. Barring any unforeseen problems, this one is a keeper.

mgiven

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Only a few hours with the Photon, but so far it's a SERIOUSLY well made device. Feels very well built and sturdy, great reception, crystal clear calls, bright enough display, great pics and videos and fast.

Only comments so far that I'm still working though:

Good onscreen keyboard and especially in landscape, but no dedicated .com button

Upside-down charging while kickstand works, but wonder if it will wear down the stand.

Still used to WebOS. Shoot me here Android fans, but I really realize now how good of an OS WebOS is Just a MILLION times more intuitive and easier all around. With that said, they failed at hardware, apps and marketing so they got what they deserved :)

Reallly having fun with the Photon though. Now to find a cheaper micro HDMI cord!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
For battery life: I'm on my 13th hour off the charger with 20% battery life. That's all on 4G, using Google+ to chat, Twitter, Facebook, downloading a game (want to see the Tegra 2 processor in action), texting, emails, and market browsing.

My EVO wouldn't have lasted that long.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've got the dreaded light leakage, at the bottom of the screen. Honestly it almost seems like the screen moves up and down slightly. I'm a little worried about dust getting under the screen.

Not sure I understand why everyone is comparing this phone with the EVO 4G. It should be faster and have better battery life.

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
My only issue has to do with the Android OS, and not really anything with the phone itself. I am really annoyed that it doesn't handle IMAP email accounts properly, but I see that this has been discussed for a couple years. I need to try some of the other email programs out there.

The Photon is running great. No problems with it, at all!
I hate to quote myself, but I think I found the solution to my own problem.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-photon/107922-imap-email-issues-photon-solved.html

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously hating the pentile screen. Everything looks checkerboarded... everything. Can't read black text on white background zoomed out. Display is bright but colors are washed out. Phone is speedy and fast, everything feels very well built, but the display is just so awful.

I'm probably going to return for a 3D.

I just don't like being able to see all the pixels.