Loving my Sprint Galaxy Note 3...is anyone else???

aquaholik

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
That's what I am talking about!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Wife is loving her Note 3. I have the Note 2 and is upgrade eligible but going to wait for the Note 4 or the S5. The Note 3 has phenomenal standby battery life. After two full days and a couple hours of screen time, she still has 65% of battery life left. And that is stock and not rooted and I didn't even attempt to tweak it for battery life. I rooted my Note 2 and use greenify as well as turn off Google maps location update and turning off Google now along with using greenify to hibernate facebook and other annoying apps and I still can't get the phenomenal standby battery life. I'm still loosing .5% per hour of standby which is much better than 5% per hour before the tweak. Her Note 3 loses like 3% over 10 hours and Google Now is on as well as Google maps location not to mention Wifi and bluetooth on all the time. She is on her third day of use since the last full charge.

Granted I've got too many apps that are leeching on the battery life and she hardly installs any.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's not perfect, but what is? I really like the phone though, and the battery life in particular is impressive, at least for how I typically use my phone. I went 24 hours on the battery the other day and still had close to 40% left. Right now, I'm looking at 11 hours on the battery and I still have about 75% power remaining. Granted, the screen is on for only a small part of that (a bit over 1 hour right now, out of the ~11 it's been unplugged), but my old phones wouldn't get anywhere near this kind of battery life. My original Epic was draining ~10% per hour in bad cases, ~5% per hour in good cases. I got home today with more battery power than I'd have left at lunch time on my Epic. I don't know exactly what Samsung did to improve battery life so much, but this is a huge advantage of the phone for me -- not having to worry about mid-day recharges anymore is a relief.

I have experienced some of the issues others mentioned, here and/or elsewhere. My WiFi at home sometimes drops and immediately reconnects for no obvious reason, and no other device in my house (computers, wife's phone, Roku, etc.) does this. While this is a bit annoying, it's mostly a nuisance and not some kind of deal-breaker. I had a little bit of the voice call audio garbling, but the recent update's supposed to fix that. Sometimes there's a little lag turning on the screen, but it doesn't really bother me.

What remains to be seen though is how promptly Samsung will or won't get Android OS updates to us. They were terrible with my old original Epic -- it took ~9-10 months to get an update and the phone was sometimes 2 versions behind current. The Note 3 has the current version of Android now, but Kit Kat is coming in the near future. How long will it be before that update hits our devices? I'm trying not to worry too much about it this time around, but that's still a big question for me. I'd really like to see Samsung and Sprint get us Android OS updates in a timely manner.

But still, this phone is pretty amazing. Very powerful, long battery life, all the handwriting features with the S Pen -- great stuff.

Edit: Just thought of something else. I know pre-installed bloatware is generally not appreciated, but since we all know it's going to come anyway, wouldn't it be nice if the carriers gave us the full/pro/paid versions instead of the ad-supported free versions? I guess they'll never do that, because it means cutting into their profits. But if they did, it could make the apps somewhat more appealing, at least to some users.

Last edited:

Caddyman46

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
After a very rocky start I'm really loving this phone. When I first got it for bout a week for around a couple mile radius from home I couldn't send or receive text messages. Everything else was fine even phone calls. Come to find out there was a tower issue out here. This things a beast!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

MissouriFarmer

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
My Droid Razr seems primitive and tiny now. The Razr screen doesn't compare at all to my Note 3. Will not go back.
Yes, I like it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

merritt67

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Love mine I got the watch and phone. Had a few problems but was able to Google them and found solutions. People in stores always notice the watch and want to see me place a call from it ... Needless to say my list of females have grown since I got it..... Another plus for Samsung

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

scspeedy

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Coming from epic 4G touch this thing is amazing. So much faster, responsive doesn't lag a bit. Love the handwriting function of the pen. It is just awesome I haven't but it through it paces yet but I will.

stupid fast Note3

rey_1178

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I came from the S3 which was the best phone I had ever owned until I got this beast. No issues whatsoever, so many incredible things about it that I'll just skip listing them all :p .
Best Phone I've ever had and ever seen!

Last edited:

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Not opinion, 5 years of experience

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Network speed and coverage issues are always *very* dependant on where you live. There are very few areas in Houston where I don't get good LTE, pulling down at least 6mpbs (which is plenty for a cell phone, IMO) but I understand that's not going to be the same experience for everyone.

That said, I understand your frustration and choice to leave Sprint if you live in an area where that's not the case, but that doesn't mean that you need to criticize anyone who disagrees with your experience.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
What remains to be seen though is how promptly Samsung will or won't get Android OS updates to us. They were terrible with my old original Epic -- it took ~9-10 months to get an update and the phone was sometimes 2 versions behind current. The Note 3 has the current version of Android now, but Kit Kat is coming in the near future. How long will it be before that update hits our devices? I'm trying not to worry too much about it this time around, but that's still a big question for me. I'd really like to see Samsung and Sprint get us Android OS updates in a timely manner.

Samsung has been better recently than they used to be about updates. The Sprint Epic 4G was especially bad for some reason.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Network speed and coverage issues are always *very* dependant on where you live. There are very few areas in Houston where I don't get good LTE, pulling down at least 6mpbs (which is plenty for a cell phone, IMO) but I understand that's not going to be the same experience for everyone.

This for sure.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I also am loving my note 3. Just one bugaboo though. Am I The only one that had to wait a few seconds for my phone to wake up after pressing the power button?

Posted via AC App via note 3
Yes, I noticed this too. But it only happens when my phone has been sitting for while. I mean, If it's been sitting for awhile and hasn't been used, then it takes a couple seconds for the screen to light up...also happens when turning off the screen. But if I use it, then come back a few minutes later, it's instant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power