Weird message. What is it?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting a silver shield in the notification bar and in the notification shade. When I click on it, it says "An app has been forced stopped due to an unauthorized attempt to access system settings. Check now?" No other info is given.

I've got a check box to not "check" again for 30 days. Other choices are to cancel and OK. If I click "OK" it takes me to ALL APPS.

I have not side loaded any apps and the apps I do have I have gotten from the play store. The apps downloaded are the same apps I have installed on ALL of my phones and have never encountered this. I suspected it might be "knox" but it's not activated. This is getting really annoying as it pops up 2 times a day even though I have checked the "do not check again for 30 days" option.

Any Ideas?

Caddyman46

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
There's an app on the play store called knox disabler. It should turn off the shield. Lol......I found the app after doin some experimenting to turn the shield off on my own......Thank god and the xda developers for their hard work!!

Sent from my stock/rooted MJ4 blazing fast beastly Galaxy Note 3

Caddyman46

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Before I heard about the app I opened up es file explorer and did a search for knox.....anything with knox in the title.....I deleted it. Right after this I opened titanium backup and did another search for knox. This time I froze anything with knox in the title. Rebooted and the shield was gone. Kinda extreme but it worked for me. It ya wanna try it do so at your own risk. There's gotta be an easier way tho.

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just started getting this message today, oddly enough, after I saw this thread. :p I didn't actually install Knox, so I'm not sure why it's triggering messages, if that is what's happening here. And the app titled "KNOX Disabler" requires root, so that's not a solution for me. Are there other alternative fixes? If anyone finds one, please let us know. Thanks!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Before I heard about the app I opened up es file explorer and did a search for knox.....anything with knox in the title.....I deleted it. Right after this I opened titanium backup and did another search for knox. This time I froze anything with knox in the title. Rebooted and the shield was gone. Kinda extreme but it worked for me. It ya wanna try it do so at your own risk. There's gotta be an easier way tho.

Shouldn't have to go through all that. Funny thing is, is that I haven't installed knox. The icon is there but you actually have to download it and install so I don't think that is the problem.

So far the longest is 2 days that it hasn't popped up. Then all of a sudden it starts again with a barrage of constant, annoying, crap every other hour for half a day. Then all is good till the next day. This didn't happen till I got the update fwiw. I don't know, but it's annoying.

ReneH-NL

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes,

When you see the massage try to tap on it (hold it long, then you see app info) Tap on it and you see knox.
Clear in this app all geathered app info and cache. Then stop the Knox app.. Start your phone again.
With me the messages are gone for several hours now.
The only problem still left is a system-UI and mij sd card is nog recognosed anymore.

I keep getting a silver shield in the notification bar and in the notification shade. When I click on it, it says "An app has been forced stopped due to an unauthorized attempt to access system settings. Check now?" No other info is given.

I've got a check box to not "check" again for 30 days. Other choices are to cancel and OK. If I click "OK" it takes me to ALL APPS.

I have not side loaded any apps and the apps I do have I have gotten from the play store. The apps downloaded are the same apps I have installed on ALL of my phones and have never encountered this. I suspected it might be "knox" but it's not activated. This is getting really annoying as it pops up 2 times a day even though I have checked the "do not check again for 30 days" option.

Any Ideas?

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be right. I did two things:

Hello everyone,

About the message: "an application has been forced to stop for an unauthorized attempt to access system in your device", I may have found the solution. While playing with the S Health application on my Note 3, Samsung asked to update the application. I updated the S Health application as asked by Samsung, and voila, the message does no longer show. It has now been about 5 hours with or without WiFi, and with several restarts, and still no message with the shield. Keep my fingers crossed.

Hope this helps. Please pass the info along.

Rolf Schreiner
[email address removed]

Note: The updated S Health Samsung app is version: SH-V25H ver 2.5.3.49

Another update:
The message seems to appear every time that you connect to WiFi...
To kill the message on Note 3:
When the message appears, long press on it. It will show you the app info: the Knox notification manager. Then "clear cache" and "clear data", clear the message, and the message will no longer show, until the next reboot...

Yes,

When you see the massage try to tap on it (hold it long, then you see app info) Tap on it and you see knox.
Clear in this app all geathered app info and cache. Then stop the Knox app.. Start your phone again.
With me the messages are gone for several hours now.
The only problem still left is a system-UI and mij sd card is nog recognosed anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried clearing the data and cache from the Knox Notification Manager, the app that shows up when I long-press the notification message, but this has not completely solved the problem. It seemed to work/help for a while, but the messages started popping up again tonight. This is after I had disabled the Security setting for Unknown Sources, so I'm guessing that wasn't the real problem or cause for the notifications. And for the Knox apps that already exist on the phone, it doesn't look like I can turn them off completely or turn off just their notifications. I never actually installed the full KNOX app though, so whatever is going on here is happening without that. It's using just the other apps already pre-installed on the device. While this isn't a major problem, I can always ignore the message or click the option to not send it again for 30 days, I agree with others that it's annoying.

FWIW, a few tweets with @sprintcare on Twitter have resulted in "it actually sounds like an OS bug or something running causing conflicts", "look in your background apps for any unknown or strange applications" and "it may be worth removing [KNOX] if you can, or doing a factory reset". I couldn't see anything unusual when looking at running apps though, the KNOX stuff can't be removed without root (which I don't have and Sprint probably wouldn't endorse anyway), and factory resets are an absolute last resort for me that I'll only do if there's no other solution and the problem is bad enough that I'm not willing to live with it or work around it somehow. At present, this isn't the kind of issue that I'll reset my device over. I do hope someone can figure out what's going on here and how to fix it though. Please keep us informed if you learn anything, folks. Thanks!

Edit: I was doing a little searching and found mention of App Ops, which I got access to through the Permission Manager app. In it, under the Device section is Knox Notification Manager with settings for Post Notification, Modify Settings, and Draw On Top all turned on. The last two haven't been used on my device; only the first one has. I've read that the App Ops may have been hidden because it wasn't ready for public use yet, so I'm a bit reluctant to use it if I don't need to. Has anyone else tried using this to turn off the Knox notifications though? It does seem like it might solve the problem (or at least hide it, which might suffice). Thanks.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried clearing the data and cache from the Knox Notification Manager, the app that shows up when I long-press the notification message, but this has not completely solved the problem. It seemed to work/help for a while, but the messages started popping up again tonight. This is after I had disabled the Security setting for Unknown Sources, so I'm guessing that wasn't the real problem or cause for the notifications. And for the Knox apps that already exist on the phone, it doesn't look like I can turn them off completely or turn off just their notifications. I never actually installed the full KNOX app though, so whatever is going on here is happening without that. It's using just the other apps already pre-installed on the device. While this isn't a major problem, I can always ignore the message or click the option to not send it again for 30 days, I agree with others that it's annoying.

FWIW, a few tweets with @sprintcare on Twitter have resulted in "it actually sounds like an OS bug or something running causing conflicts", "look in your background apps for any unknown or strange applications" and "it may be worth removing [KNOX] if you can, or doing a factory reset". I couldn't see anything unusual when looking at running apps though, the KNOX stuff can't be removed without root (which I don't have and Sprint probably wouldn't endorse anyway), and factory resets are an absolute last resort for me that I'll only do if there's no other solution and the problem is bad enough that I'm not willing to live with it or work around it somehow. At present, this isn't the kind of issue that I'll reset my device over. I do hope someone can figure out what's going on here and how to fix it though. Please keep us informed if you learn anything, folks. Thanks!

Edit: I was doing a little searching and found mention of App Ops, which I got access to through the Permission Manager app. In it, under the Device section is Knox Notification Manager with settings for Post Notification, Modify Settings, and Draw On Top all turned on. The last two haven't been used on my device; only the first one has. I've read that the App Ops may have been hidden because it wasn't ready for public use yet, so I'm a bit reluctant to use it if I don't need to. Has anyone else tried using this to turn off the Knox notifications though? It does seem like it might solve the problem (or at least hide it, which might suffice). Thanks.

I unchecked the notification and so far so good!

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I unchecked the notification and so far so good!

Help. How do I get to the permissions manager? You don't have to be rooted, right? This message just started popping up yestersay. Its very annoying. Thank you.

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW - the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 😊

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Permission Manager is an app in the play store. It can be used to access the App Ops hidden feature/menu, as can some third party launchers (but I'm not using one of them now). Root is not required.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Permission Manager is an app in the play store. It can be used to access the App Ops hidden feature/menu, as can some third party launchers (but I'm not using one of them now). Root is not required.

Thank you. This is such an annoying bug. I'm surprised that it took this long to show it's ugly face. And it can't be that we downloaded something bad, because many are getting this notification.

Palm Treo line > Blackberry line > Samsung Galaxy S line > NOW - the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 😊

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
If you have nova, you don't need that permissions mngr app. I just tried a user shortcut, and it worked. 😊

avapy7e5.jpg

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, certain launchers can provide access to the App Ops options, too. FWIW though, you don't need to pay for Permission Manager. It does have an option to see info on all apps, so you should be able to access all options on all apps for free.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I turned off the notification in knox and it didn't work. I'm going to unchecked all the items and try again.

Oth: I was just posting another option, rather downloading another app when you have the Nova launcher. That's all. I was trying to give any help regarding the situation.

Silkwrm

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
This solved the issue for me.
Below is a transcript from online help with Samsung:

Valerina: Let's try to troubleshoot the issue by performing Wipe cache partition. Wipe cache partition will recycle the internal circuit of your phone and it will delete unwanted files. Shall I proceed with the steps?

Visitor: no modifications, no root

Visitor: sure

Valerina: 1 Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).

Valerina: 2 Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.

Valerina: 3 When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.

Valerina: 4 When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.

Valerina: 5 Navigate with the Volume keys to the Wipe all cache .reset option and press the Power key to select.

Valerina: 6 press the Power key to reboot system now.

Visitor: rebooting now

Visitor: That seems to have worked normally it pops up on reboot

Edit**This also magically solved my issue with logging into netflix

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Also when the notification pops up, you can long press it (in the notification shade) and it will take you directly to Knox something or other. When it does, press force stop. I read this somewhere but don't ask where....I read it at 4am getting ready for work.....