Screen Protector

Telescopist

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Note: I did take a look at other similar threads before posting this... I picked up a Note 3 at Best Buy a week ago. It rocks. The sales rep highly recommended a screen protector despite the fact that the phone uses gorilla glass. I had previously owned a Razr MAXX for over 2 years. It also had gorilla glass. Despite lots of abuse like sliding phone in and out of a pocket that also contained car keys, etc., I never got a scratch on the glass. The sale rep claims that the pen will scratch the glass if it is pressed down on it too hard. Despite my skepticism about this claim, I went ahead and purchased the $25 screen protector. Can't recall the brand since he did the install. I've already had to go back and get the screen protector replaced because of bubbles and I need to go back again. My question is: Do I really need to screen protector because of the pen?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Note: I did take a look at other similar threads before posting this... I picked up a Note 3 at Best Buy a week ago. It rocks. The sales rep highly recommended a screen protector despite the fact that the phone uses gorilla glass. I had previously owned a Razr MAXX for over 2 years. It also had gorilla glass. Despite lots of abuse like sliding phone in and out of a pocket that also contained car keys, etc., I never got a scratch on the glass. The sale rep claims that the pen will scratch the glass if it is pressed down on it too hard. Despite my skepticism about this claim, I went ahead and purchased the $25 screen protector. Can't recall the brand since he did the install. I've already had to go back and get the screen protector replaced because of bubbles and I need to go back again. My question is: Do I really need to screen protector because of the pen?

Can't answer specifically about the pen. But I'm always queasy to use the devices without a screen protector, gorilla glass or not.

I, too, have so much trouble installing without bubbles. I'm groaning about this right now. I move beyond it. In truth, when the device is on, it's pretty good and a minor issue. But I'm just too scared not to use a screen protector on these pricey devices.

$25 for a screen protector? Never buy at those retailer outlets. Or, if you do, as part of the cost, make them install it properly! They always seem better at it than I am. But for pure price, go on to Amazon or whatever. You should be able to do a lot better than $25.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No, sand is your enemy, if your screen were dusty I would blow it off before using, but you are much more likely to scratch it with your finger then the s pen, you can easily get a piece of grit embedded in your skin of you work outside with your hands, I guess it would be possible to get something embedded in the pen tip, but not easily

Telescopist

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Can't answer specifically about the pen. But I'm always queasy to use the devices without a screen protector, gorilla glass or not.

I, too, have so much trouble installing without bubbles. I'm groaning about this right now. I move beyond it. In truth, when the device is on, it's pretty good and a minor issue. But I'm just too scared not to use a screen protector on these pricey devices.

$25 for a screen protector? Never buy at those retailer outlets. Or, if you do, as part of the cost, make them install it properly! They always seem better at it than I am. But for pure price, go on to Amazon or whatever. You should be able to do a lot better than $25.

Sorry for the delay in responding back. I simply assumed that Best Buy who matched Amazon's price on the Note 3 would do the same when it came to the protective screen. Ouch! I did go back to Best Buy yesterday and they replaced the screen free of charge. The bubbles do drive me nuts but I may get used to them like you did too.

Telescopist

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
No, sand is your enemy, if your screen were dusty I would blow it off before using, but you are much more likely to scratch it with your finger then the s pen, you can easily get a piece of grit embedded in your skin of you work outside with your hands, I guess it would be possible to get something embedded in the pen tip, but not easily

Yes, I agree. This is a convincing argument. Thanks.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in responding back. I simply assumed that Best Buy who matched Amazon's price on the Note 3 would do the same when it came to the protective screen. Ouch! I did go back to Best Buy yesterday and they replaced the screen free of charge. The bubbles do drive me nuts but I may get used to them like you did too.

They probably would match an Amazon price (whether from one of Amazon's many discount sellers...that's another story.) Getting them to do it is sometimes a chore though.

Best Buy is really great in providing well priced, high end stuff. They are great at making the sale. After-the-sale service? Well, just bought a LED. Within a week or so, I saw that another major retailer had dropped the price by $300. I called to ask for their price match, which was part of the deal and advertised at the time of purchase. This other major retailer (Tiger Direct, as I recall) was one of the stores they specifically mentioned they would match.

Easy? Nightmare ensues. The first person I talked to had me on hold for over 30 minutes just trying to figure what price I paid to BEST BUY. That was apparently too complicated for them. Then I was disconnected. Called back, another long hold. The second person finally decided the price match looked right and agreed to $300. Then, on hold and disconnected again.Called back. Third person decided the price match wasn't right because their product number was slightly different. It was the exact same tv! One of the retailers just didn't bother to put the last 3 digits of the model # because all that signified (which I later verified with the manufacturer) was that the set was made to be sold for the USA market. Both retailers are in the USA. I am in the USA. No brainer. Same exact model. To add salt to the wound, though, I told her, btw, that Best Buy's OWN WEBSITE had then already matched this other retailer and even their OWN price had dropped. No go. This is still too difficult for her to understand. I asked for a supervisor. Disconnected again after a long hold. Called back. Finally got someone to apply a price match. Still haven't seen it, but told it's coming. For only $200.

I was afraid to ask for more detail at that point. :) I guess their madness has a method to it. :)

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I installed one on mine just to be on the safe side. I do have a Note 8 as well. That one does not have a screen protector although, i did apply a liquid screen protector which applies a Nano coating to reduce fingerprints. That one is fine with no scratches although I really do not use the stylus all that much.

I dislike using the plastic screen protectors so, I normally get the glass ones. The one I bought for my Note 3 was the Iloome which I paid $20. Its much easier to install and has better clarity than the plastic ones. It also feels like real glass as well so, you really do not notice that its on there. I bought mine from Amazon. I believe it was the Iloome Flex. I used to buy the Spigen glass protectors for my iPhones. Those were much more expensive.

Telescopist

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I was afraid to ask for more detail at that point. :) I guess their madness has a method to it. :)
There is no madness in the method.They simply want you to give up. Ha-ha. As for Best Buy, I was assuming (lesson learned) that since they had matched the price of the Note 3 from Amazon they had done the same with the Zagg screen protector.

Telescopist

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I installed one on mine just to be on the safe side. I do have a Note 8 as well. That one does not have a screen protector although, i did apply a liquid screen protector which applies a Nano coating to reduce fingerprints. That one is fine with no scratches although I really do not use the stylus all that much.

I dislike using the plastic screen protectors so, I normally get the glass ones. The one I bought for my Note 3 was the Iloome which I paid $20. Its much easier to install and has better clarity than the plastic ones. It also feels like real glass as well so, you really do not notice that its on there. I bought mine from Amazon. I believe it was the Iloome Flex. I used to buy the Spigen glass protectors for my iPhones. Those were much more expensive.

Thanks for the info. re: iloome flex glass. It looks like a really good product.

seoulbrova

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

$25? You got ripped off.

I bought this for roughly $7 with shipping. Tempered glass so it beats SPIGEN, Skinomi, Xtremeguard, or any of those other brands.

SPen works flawlessly.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I did go back to Best Buy yesterday and they replaced the screen free of charge. The bubbles do drive me nuts but I may get used to them like you did too.

So, as a follow up....the seller for the AmFilm screen protector (TechMatte on Amazon) contacted me and I basically said I just couldn't get either of them on with a reasonable bubble level. They volunteered to send another pack out. This time I was a lot more careful. I installed in the bathroom as they suggest because the heat from a hot shower causes dust to settle. I think that helped.

Then, I smoothed out the major bubbles with the 2d layer still on. Last time, once the first layer was affixed to the screen, I removed the 2d layer immediately and THEN tried to get rid of the bubbles. I think that was an error. It was hard to do it that way and also risked damaging the screen protector. I thought it worked far better doing the bulk of the smoothing with the card while leaving the 2d layer on.

Now, it is by no means perfect. But I got rid of the little dust speck or two that had been trapped and I also got rid of most all of the annoying bubbles. I think I can report contentment. and 85% improvement. Certainly, at this point using a protector versus not because of bubble irritation is a no brainer.

Thanks to this seller for excellent service, too.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I went with iLoome premium this go round. I've been a Zagg user for years, but they only have the GLASS screen protectors for the 5s and s4