Smart dock mounts for vehicle

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was just browsing some windshield mounts for my note 3 and found one that brings up smart dock when connected to a built in cable. It supposedly charges and has audio out through the micro usb and then splits to a 3.5 audio jack and full size usb so there's no need to plug anything into the headphone jack on the phone.. I don't know much about these features, but i do like the idea of a centralized "vehicle mode" with navigation, music, google maps etc. The mount im speaking of is called iBOLT xprodock active car dock, its a little more than i would like to spend so what im wondering is how my note 3 will know to open smart dock? I have had my phone plugged into my car charger and a 3.5 to 3.5 audio jack to play music and it never opened anything. And if the magic is in the cable it comes with, will any cable of that type work? I can get a micro usb 3.0 to full size usb and 3.5 audio for like 5 bucks and a basic windshield mount for another $10. Thanks everyone

NJallDAY

May 21, 2013
Visit site
never mind. the description was misleading, its actually ibolts app that you have to download and they make it seem like you need that cable to access something special

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
never mind. the description was misleading, its actually ibolts app that you have to download and they make it seem like you need that cable to access something special

It is a special cable or resistor in the cable that triggers dock mode. Unfortunately the Note 2 recognized two dock modes, one for desk dock and another for car dock. The Note 3 uses just one mode that will work for either, but you have to choose which one you want.

Personally I use my desk dock much more than my car dock, so I use desk dock as default and a generic car dock with an NFC tag to enable car dock mode.