Sprint: Available April 27 for $249

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
no it's for the 16gb. that's all that is being offered for any carrier right now.

You mean like how the $250 was supposed to be for the 16GB AT&T version, which was announced in the same fashion as this one? If I'm not mistaken AT&T isn't selling a $250 16GB S4 are they?

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
You mean like how the $250 was supposed to be for the 16GB AT&T version, which was announced in the same fashion as this one? If I'm not mistaken AT&T isn't selling a $250 16GB S4 are they?

nope and i don't anticipate they will either anytime in the near future.

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
nope and i don't anticipate they will either anytime in the near future.

You're right, they won't be selling 16GB for $250. And neither will Sprint.

If they did by any chance though, well then shame on Sprint. But for now I'm just going to sum it up to Sprint pulling an AT&T and giving vague information about the launch, only to clear it up in the days before their pre-orders go live.

PeMo

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If they did by any chance though, well then shame on Sprint. But for now I'm just going to sum it up to Sprint pulling an AT&T and giving vague information about the launch, only to clear it up in the days before their pre-orders go live.
Sprint's pre-orders go live in 10 hours.

Sprint subsidizing the new customer $50 discount (compared to AT&T's cost) by charging $50 to existing customers (again, compared to AT&T's cost) is honestly the most baffling business decision I've ever seen. I've stuck with them despite their network issues in recent years, but this has made the decision easy for me. I'm going to make the jump to AT&T after 10 years.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

From the Sprint news room:

"OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), April 17, 2013 - Sprint (NYSE:S) will offer Samsung Galaxy S? 4 (16GB version) beginning on Saturday, April 27, for $249.99 (excluding taxes) with a new line or eligible upgrade and two-year service agreement."
Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Brings Truly Unlimited Data to Samsung Galaxy S 4 on April 27

Maybe it is because we have unlimited data?

From the newsroom they aren't to vague.. They specifically said 16GB is 249. ATT just said s4 so.. The mix up was easy. Sprint straight said 16 for that price.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with Sprint a week ago about a time frame on Pre order date. I was told that they were still in talks about pricing because Sprint wanted to offer the best price on the GS3 compared to other carriers.....
I didn't know that best price meant "highest score wins"

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't see what the big deal is over costing $250, especially if the price differential is only $50 compared to AT&T. Even though AT&T's coverage is significantly superior than Sprint's, AT&T contract price is significantly more expensive. So I think the issue of paying an extra $50 is really negligible. You'll save a lot of money going with Sprint but most won't get the LTE coverage you'll get with AT&T.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Troubling news. I went into Sprint yesterday to see if they could hook me up with an early upgrade from my original July 1 date. They shut me down though...so hopefully someone will drop the price of the phone by then...as well as have the LTE fully up and running here by then.

phone-a-holic

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Troubling news. I went into Sprint yesterday to see if they could hook me up with an early upgrade from my original July 1 date. They shut me down though...so hopefully someone will drop the price of the phone by then...as well as have the LTE fully up and running here by then.

That's interesting because my upgrade date was June 27th and I called today and they changed it so I could upgrade. I also just received an email about the change. I called in also to verify and the upgrade date to be fully eligible is April1.

pete6032

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't see what the big deal is over costing $250, especially if the price differential is only $50 compared to AT&T. Even though AT&T's coverage is significantly superior than Sprint's, AT&T contract price is significantly more expensive. So I think the issue of paying an extra $50 is really negligible. You'll save a lot of money going with Sprint but most won't get the LTE coverage you'll get with AT&T.
You don't see what the big deal is about the exact same product costing 25% more from one carrier to another?

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I think they're refering to the monthly plan costs will more than offset the $50 price difference over the two year contract period. At least I think so?

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting because my upgrade date was June 27th and I called today and they changed it so I could upgrade. I also just received an email about the change. I called in also to verify and the upgrade date to be fully eligible is April1.

That is interesting. Maybe i'll try doing it over the phone instead of in store.

icellphones32

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll have it cheaper tonight, should be able to save you guys some money for sprint, Verizon and if you Tmobile users don't want to pay the $20/month ill have the regular contract pricing for them. Just shoot me an email, I know you can't post links like that here. :D

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You don't see what the big deal is about the exact same product costing 25% more from one carrier to another?

No I don't. (@Buckeyes clarified the point I was attempting to make). Sprint's pricing is so much more competitive and you get unlimited and unthrottled data and I think on an individual contract you would save $20 or $30 bucks a month going with Sprint. An opposing viewpoint would be that Sprint should have a bigger discount since Sprint's network is inferior to AT&T's. I just happen to think that Sprint's pricing and unlimited data more than offsets AT&T's inherent advantages (LTE speed and better coverage). I personally would opt for Sprint for the extra $50 upfront. If price is the pivotal issue, and if $50 is enough to make people switch to AT&T, I am surprised that more people are not mentioning T-mobile is selling it for $150.

Last edited: