Apps to move apps to SD card

seabrz

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been holding out upgrading to S4 until I can get a 32GB or 64GB. It's my understanding (from what I read here) that I will no longer be able to move apps from internal memory to the SD card. And since Sprint has no idea how long it will be before these phones are available, I wonder about the apps I see in Google Play that can move apps to the SD card. Have any of you used them with your GS4? What was your experience? Thanks!

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been holding out upgrading to S4 until I can get a 32GB or 64GB. It's my understanding (from what I read here) that I will no longer be able to move apps from internal memory to the SD card. And since Sprint has no idea how long it will be before these phones are available, I wonder about the apps I see in Google Play that can move apps to the SD card. Have any of you used them with your GS4? What was your experience? Thanks!

I have a 16gb Sprint version. I use App Mgr Pro III which used to be called App to SD [ https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd.pro&token=4nC7V-za ] and that will NOT move apps to SD. I emailed the developer who responded with this:

"S4 device removes the function of moving apps to SD from Android
system so the moving apps function cannot be supported.

Please read FAQ 9 from A0Soft Inc. - The #1 world clock shareware for Android handheld for details.
This is configured by manufacture. Nothing developers can do about this.

Have a nice day,
Sam"

So if the developer is right, and I have no reason to think he isn't, you can forget about finding an app that does this. Maybe with Root, but I'm not technically knowledgeable to know if it is possible to work around this with Root access...

seabrz

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I was in the Sprint store today (also went by Verizon) and no one seemed to know this. (They also didn't have a clue about the 32GB version in either store).

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Android removed the ability to move apps to SD card when ice cream sandwich came. Gingerbread can still do it.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I was in the Sprint store today (also went by Verizon) and no one seemed to know this. (They also didn't have a clue about the 32GB version in either store).

I suppose that the plain vanilla 'google' S4 will have this capability...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks! :banghead: :mad:

I'm eligible for upgrade on July 1, I've been doing research on the HTC One and the GS4. But 32GB and cheaper price for a great device like the HTC One might sound a little better if Sprint doesn't bring the GS4 with 32GB.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, at least now we know that an update is imminent and will fix this issue. :D

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of stupid lying bastards (and deserve to go to h e ll!) using Android Central Forums

cav22

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I refuse to purchase the phone until this is resolved. If something better comes out in the meantime then I will go with that. The storage concerns is the only thing that has held me back on getting the S4. Originally I was waiting on the 32GB (which apparently isnt happening), now that this has been announced I am waiting for it... If they cannot beat something better to market with this fix then I will be heading elsewhere. Samsung should put pressure on Carriers to get this fix out there.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I refuse to purchase the phone until this is resolved. If something better comes out in the meantime then I will go with that. The storage concerns is the only thing that has held me back on getting the S4. Originally I was waiting on the 32GB (which apparently isnt happening), now that this has been announced I am waiting for it... If they cannot beat something better to market with this fix then I will be heading elsewhere. Samsung should put pressure on Carriers to get this fix out there.

Just curious as to why you don't think there's enough space left on the device for your needs? I was thinking the same way but I will root and it won't really be an issue - are you storing all of your media on the phone?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

cav22

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
There are some games that both I and my kids play that combined would fill the available space even if I were to offload the media to SD. I do not want to root my device nor should I have to to have enough storage available.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Guess you either need to wait for the update from Samsung to move apps to SD, or look at phones with more internal storage. It was google's decision to remove the apps to sd feature, so can't really blame Sammy for that (except for taking almost half of the 16GB storage away with their bloated ROM!!! UGH!)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I blame both, Google and Samsung!

It's just stupid to take that feature away!

And Samsung is also acting stupid by filling most of the storage with their software! If they know how much space their software needs, than stop making devices with 16GB and make them with the minimum of 32GB! :mad:

"If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!"
~Doctor Who.

cav22

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I "blame," Google, Samsung and the Carriers. While Google never should have removed the functionality I am sure there is a reason they did security or otherwise. Samsung, I agree they should take their software size into account and advertise the phone as having only 8GB available and not 16GB phone. But right now it is the carriers that are delaying the process of modifying (adding bloat) to the modified software that Sammy supplied. Either way I will continue to wait for the carriers to push the update or for a new device potentially from a different supplier (LG, HTC, Moto...) to come out that has the storage needed. I tend to keep phones for 2-3 years so what I do get needs enough to hold me over for some time...

As for the HTC One... The battery life is my biggest issue that I have heard with it. No matter how good a phone is if it doesnt have enough juice then it is crap. I dont think the One is crap but I want to be able to use it when I want it and based on everything I have read you are tied to a charger far more than you are with the S4. I have talked to firends that have both.

czervik85

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Well that sucks! :banghead: :mad:

I'm eligible for upgrade on July 1, I've been doing research on the HTC One and the GS4. But 32GB and cheaper price for a great device like the HTC One might sound a little better if Sprint doesn't bring the GS4 with 32GB.

I got the htc one over the s4 because of more internal memory. Right now apps take up 9.69GB and music from Google Play All Access is taking up another 5GB. I couldn't do that with the s4. I really like to be able to see the htc one screen in direct sunlight and take decent low light photos. It is a great quick phone and I really like it. But I think I have to take it back. I'm only getting about 4-5 hours on a full charge. I guess I'm a heavy user. Some days I feel like it's on the charger more than I'm using it and since quick charge, I heard, is disabled it takes forever to charge. So I might get an s4 instead because it doesn't matter how good the phone or its features are if I can't use them.

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I got the htc one over the s4 because of more internal memory. Right now apps take up 9.69GB and music from Google Play All Access is taking up another 5GB. I couldn't do that with the s4. I really like to be able to see the htc one screen in direct sunlight and take decent low light photos. It is a great quick phone and I really like it. But I think I have to take it back. I'm only getting about 4-5 hours on a full charge. I guess I'm a heavy user. Some days I feel like it's on the charger more than I'm using it and since quick charge, I heard, is disabled it takes forever to charge. So I might get an s4 instead because it doesn't matter how good the phone or its features are if I can't use them.

Posted via Android Central App

So, did you exchange the phone?
I ended up getting the GS4 last Monday after realizing that it was the better device for me.
No regrets so far :D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I installed Apps to SD but it does not work.

Can anyone suggest another way to install apps to the sd? Since it seems we are never going to see the update that allows us to do so on our own...

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed Apps to SD but it does not work.

Can anyone suggest another way to install apps to the sd? Since it seems we are never going to see the update that allows us to do so on our own...

I think the only way is either wait for the update or root your phone.
I'm not sure I want to root at this point since I don't have any experience with that procedure.
And since I'm ok with the space I have so far, I guess I can wait for the update.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away