Google Now/ Voice Search Not speaking answers?

Hypochondriac

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue where google search doesn't speak the results? It will recognize my voice bring up the answer but not speak it. When asking it the temperature or the height of the President it just brings up the answer. I thought it was supposed to verbally give you the answer as well. In the settings it's set for us english and speech output is set to always speak. I tried S Voice and that vocalized the answer. Am I missing something or does voice search no longer give verbal answers

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be a glitch with the latest version. Mine does this at times as well, if it doesn't just search. I asked "what's the weather" one day and it just Googled the phrase.

Hypochondriac

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be a glitch with the latest version. Mine does this at times as well, if it doesn't just search. I asked "what's the weather" one day and it just Googled the phrase.

Not sure I got that. When you used it it just did a google search for the weather and it didn't state the weather? How often does that happen? I've never gotten it to speak, no matter what I said

Matthew Brackley

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I know this is a very late reply but useful for anyone coming here like i did with this problem. Mine wasn't working then i went into the setting and made sure that Web History was on - it worked after this!

John O Neill

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The voice output only seems to work if you have your primary language set to English (US). Don't really understand why, but that's how I got mine working...

Bati82

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue where google search doesn't speak the results? It will recognize my voice bring up the answer but not speak it. When asking it the temperature or the height of the President it just brings up the answer. I thought it was supposed to verbally give you the answer as well. In the settings it's set for us english and speech output is set to always speak. I tried S Voice and that vocalized the answer. Am I missing something or does voice search no longer give verbal answers

Hi go to the settings in google press voice then speech output have to be set on nothing else

pp4life66

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
FOUND ISSUE AND FIX!!
I had this exact problem, Google now was no longer reading out search responses. I tried every fix I could find (changing languages, clearing cache, making sure speech output is on, media volume is on, etc...etc...) and nothing worked. FINALLY I found the problem. A few backs in efforts to fix an audio sync issue with youtube I had turned on (checked) Use NuPlayer (experimental) in Developer option>Media. I simply uncheck it and google now is responding in speech to all my searches as it did in the past. Very happy to hear her voice again (creepy). Anyways hope this helps anyone else with this issue.

mouallem

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
ANOTHER FIX

I had the same problem and fixed by going into Google Now -> MENU -> Settings -> Voice -> Voice Output -> Active

I think i was playing with the setting and changed this setting to Speakers (or Speakerphone). I don't know what it does, but for me it stopped giving back output by voice!

Hugs
Mouallem

warrenlawless

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Mine speaks the answer to me sporadically. I can't find a solution. It'll speak the answer one time, then the next time I ask it, under seemingly the exact same conditions, it won't. Really annoying.

Beat Niderost

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
In my case, it turned out that the bluetooth connection to my headset was the culprit. When I turned off my headset, Google Assistant started speaking out loud on my Android Phone again. And when I turned the headset back on, Google Assistant answered via voice over my headset again. I'm not sure what caused the bad bluetooth connection in the first place. Maybe I had walked with my phone out of reach of my headset before.

mbfear

May 16, 2019
Visit site

Why doesn't google verbally answer me anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? You're posting in a thread in the Galaxy S4 forum, which is pretty old. Can you also elaborate on the issue you're having?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith