Phone hot all the time and battery drains

roachman55

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My s4 costantly gets hot and battery runs down and I have turned off mobile data and bluetooth along with wifi. Have restarted phone and sometimes works for awhile if I dont use it, I clear all things through task manager and problem still arises so does anyone have any advice on whats wrong. Thanks

roachman55

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I know the GPS is turned off and just google location is on but wife has same phone and has same settings and hers is fine and battery lasts all day

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like something is running up the CPU. You could go into the app manager on bith your and your wife's phones and see what may be running on yours that's not running on hers. I'd do a reboot first and then not launch anything manually before you look at the app manager in settings.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
That has happened to me before with different phones when I'm at places with little to no signal.

Are you in places with no signal or just a little signal when this happens?

If not, I recommend you to do a factory reset.

Let us know.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

roachman55

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Have been clearing out task manager and then doing nothing but then phone starts to heat up and battery drops off. Stopped in at Sprint yesterday and the tech found a loose wire, how the heck did a wire get loose but thats what he said and that wire was not for antenna. He wants me to try it now and if gets hot again to check SD card and see if it is hot because could be cracked even though I bought it new when I got phone almost two months ago. Thanks all for your advice and now I will see what happens.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like something is running up the CPU. You could go into the app manager on bith your and your wife's phones and see what may be running on yours that's not running on hers. I'd do a reboot first and then not launch anything manually before you look at the app manager in settings.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

This!!

When I turn on my navigation and GPS/Data is on.....boy oh boy does my phone get HOT! So hot in fact that even though I have it plugged charging, I still lose charge but slowly!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Have been clearing out task manager and then doing nothing but then phone starts to heat up and battery drops off. Stopped in at Sprint yesterday and the tech found a loose wire, how the heck did a wire get loose but thats what he said and that wire was not for antenna. He wants me to try it now and if gets hot again to check SD card and see if it is hot because could be cracked even though I bought it new when I got phone almost two months ago. Thanks all for your advice and now I will see what happens.

I think they're just trying to get you off their back.
I never heard of a Sprint tech to be able to fix a new phone like this!

Normally they'll order you another one and when that arrives you exchange yours for the new one, which more then likely it's a refurb.

Did you do the factory reset?

cokl

May 8, 2013
Visit site
i'm having the same problems. I did a factory reset and it was good for a day and now back to the nonexistant battery life. :(

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
i'm having the same problems. I did a factory reset and it was good for a day and now back to the nonexistant battery life. :(

Do you have GPS, Bluetooth and other stuff you don't use often on our off?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
little signal. my gsam says that my signal strength for the last 9 hours has been mostly 1 or 2 bars (92% of the time)

There you go!
Like I said before; every phone on the world is going to get hot when it's on a little signal to no signal area!
It's constantly looking for better signal and if you keep on using the phone in those conditions it'll get very hot.

I recommend you also test it in areas with good coverage. Just to be on the safe side.

haygirl

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S2 just starting this month (July 2016). I tried disabling all the GPS and syncing, and I rebooted, and I reset several times, to no avail. I even downloaded some app that was supposed to help. Nothing worked. When I looked at the battery usage, "Google Services" accounted for over 95% of the drain. My fully charged phone would be hot and totally drain in 90 minutes, even on standby. What worked for me was to disable the Google Play Store. I went into applications (the all tab) and clicked on the store and disabled it, and now my phone is totally back to normal. I verified this when last night I wanted to download an app, and needed to re-enable the store. I did not disable it, and my phone was hot and the battery draining again. I just disabled it again, and the phone is normal-temperature again. Hope this helps someone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs