Galaxy S4: Strange Security Message Since 4.3 Update

Yooperjim

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have got as far as knowing that it has something to do with our wifi settings that knox dont like. If you change your IP setting to static instead of DHCP it dont give you the security warning anymore , until you go to a different wifi. Just testing all possibilities and found this piece of info.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
not sure why static vs DHCP would suppress this specific warning, but I've seen stranger things happen. By default, the option Settings > Security > Security policy updates is ticked with a check mark AND so is the option underneath that, Via Wi-Fi only. POS KNOX is blocking that update from happening when you're connected to Wi-Fi and the policy update is getting pushed to the device. This is why you keep getting this security message from KNOX every time you connect to Wi-Fi. I noticed this when I wiped/reset my device for something unrelated and saw the policy update push through to my device shortly after rooting my device with saferoot and saferoot/SuperSU disabled KNOX. Not sure it's possible to entirely disable KNOX on the software front without being root, but KNOX is the culprit that's blocking the security policy from getting pushed to the device and every time it happens, KNOX throws out that warning.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I usually don't sign up for these sites unless I really need help for it because i'm pretty good with my phone but this worked perfectly! I have a galaxy s4, I went to the settings,clicked more, then clicked security, then the section that says security update service I only checked the VIA Wi-fi Only box, clicked the home screen, turned off my wifi, turned it back on, clicked that security message that was on the notification bar, an update option came up, I clicked the update, agreed to the terms & conditions and now it never shows up for me anymore!! I also unchecked the VIA wi-fi only box after it updated just for my preference but i don't think its needed

Thanks a bunch focusp!

Welcome to the forums, don't be a stranger. 😉

Glad you got it figured out.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been getting this message as well and when I tried to update it, it worked but now I think it's not allowing me to install a custom rom on my phone and causes it to brick which is extremely annoying. Be careful if you are trying to download a custom rom onto your phone and need to use a custom recovery. If anyone knows a workaround that would be great.

Welcome to the forums!

Many GS4s are getting 4.4.2, mine already did.
But if you still want to root, I know a few guys here that have SlimKat 4.4.2. You might want to check that out, see if it works for you.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have got as far as knowing that it has something to do with our wifi settings that knox dont like. If you change your IP setting to static instead of DHCP it dont give you the security warning anymore , until you go to a different wifi. Just testing all possibilities and found this piece of info.

Welcome to the forums Yooperjim!

BBarb

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Also check under Settings, then More, then Security, then UNKNOWN SOURCES. Make sure that it is turned off so applications can't access your device other that the Play Store.

denogginizer

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This is an older thread, but this problem came up recently on a Verizon Galaxy S4 which just got updated not too long ago.
I tried the suggestions listed in this thread with no luck.
I froze "Security policy updates" with Titanium backup and have not had a problem since (although it has only been two days).
2014-09-05 12.45.38.jpg

wmomsen

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
It's a virus built into an app called "Protect". Run any anti virus and it will detect it. My husbands phone was phoning numbers without his phone even coming off screen lock. Weird. Would cut incoming calls too.

Jim Marhevka

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I keep getting this message as well, that is until today. When this warning came up, I held down on warning and it gave "app info". Turns out it is / was Knox Notification Bar. Strange because I didnt even download Knox. I cleared cache and turned it off, has been fine ever since. This has been the most annoying thing, it never happened except when I used Chrome, anyway nightmare over