Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What did 4.3 Update & Screw Up?

Trying to figure out what 4.3 actually update

I see the 4g Icon changed a bit more bloatware and very annoyed they removed the Data toggle switch

Also how does one access KNOX

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: What did 4.3 Update & Screw Up?

There Is emojis now.

4.3 brings more under the hood tweaks. On the visual end is minimal.

One nice option, go to Settings/Battery and you can now enable a percent reading for your battery in the status bar. Very simple but LONG overdue.

Sent from my HTC ONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Question Re: What did 4.3 Update & Screw Up?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    4.3 brings more under the hood tweaks. On the visual end is minimal.

One nice option, go to Settings/Battery and you can now enable a percent reading for your battery in the status bar. Very simple but LONG overdue.

Agree batt % display is a nice feature, but it has existed from day one, it's just that it was non-intuitively "hidden" under the display settings submenu.

I have held off on updates since 4.2.2 MDL build based on battery drain and other issues associated with the interim updates before 4.3, so are there any reported bugs or removed features?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
    Agree batt % display is a nice feature, but it has existed from day one, it's just that it was non-intuitively "hidden" under the display settings submenu.
    Actually the option to show the battery percentage in the status bar wasn't introduced until Android 4.3. Before that its always been the absolutely useless dummy battery images that go in roughly 10 percent increments.

Battery life for most has seemed to have improved with Android 4.3 and the under the hood tweaks and small user end enhancements is worth it.
    Paul

Actually the option to show the battery percentage in the status bar wasn't introduced until Android 4.3. Before that its always been the absolutely useless dummy battery images that go in roughly 10 percent increments.

Battery life for most has seemed to have improved with Android 4.3 and the under the hood tweaks and small user end enhancements is worth it.
    Not true. I am running 4.2.2 right now and am displaying the battery percentage. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have bought this phone. Sounds picky, but battery percent display is a must have for me.
    Thanked by:
    tec64 likes this.

In 4.2.2,

Settings/My Device/Display/Display Battery Percentage

Posted via Android Central App on my Galaxy S4
    Thanked by 2:

Ahh my mistake then. I know it wasn't in 4.2.1 so I assumed it came with 4.3

Thanks for the correction.

Paul

Ahh my mistake then. I know it wasn't in 4.2.1 so I assumed it came with 4.3

Thanks for the correction.

It was in 4.2.1 too. It's been an option since the s3

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    It was in 4.2.1 too. It's been an option since the s3
    Well I guess I've been served then today!

I never noticed the option on my wife's S3, my bad... Holding my head in shame
    Paul

Well I guess I've been served then today!

I never noticed the option on my wife's S3, my bad... Holding my head in shame
    No need for shame. The forums are for spreading and receiving android knowledge lol

Paul627g likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    No need for shame. The forums are for spreading and receiving android knowledge lol

Bottom line I should of researched it a bit better before opening my mouth! LOL.

Enjoy.

Paul
    Forums Moderator.
    Paul

Sprint didn't do much other than add a few extra icons for suggested apps to install and the new 3G/4GLTE icons to match the brand. Those were probably in response to the blandness compared to it's competitors and the previous 4G WiMax. I told support up front I changed my icon to VZW's just because it said LTE then found out this broke Google wallet, LoL.

You can't access Knox directly. It's like parental controls from a bigger parent. In some cases, it even trumps SU permissions which is annoying. I have to find a Knox compatible SQL editor to add my toggles back to Settings.db since SQLite Editor is blocked by Knox. You won't really interact with it much as long as nothing makes it angry. XDA has already found a way to remove Knox.

As mentioned, most of the changes are under the hood for the general populace. You can see a few new apps added to the System layer just by going through your Play Store's installed apps list.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
    schmiedk1 likes this.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

For me the biggest improvement is the auto correction by the Samsung keyboard. This was not available for US users
    in 4.2 due to a law suit with Apple. You need to enable it in settings.

Quote Originally Posted by lemartymar13 View Post
    There Is emojis now.

YA, but what does Samsung have against dogs , lots of CAT emojis but I dont see even ONE dog. Wooof!!

Anybody else notice they cut the camera modes in half like the action shot or motion pictures are both gone.

Global Posts
    1,095 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Bottom line I should of researched it a bit better before opening my mouth! LOL.

Enjoy.

Paul
    Forums Moderator.
    The Master has been bested by the student today!

I have the battery percentage on my S3 and I have 4.1.2 - waiting for 4.3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Epic 4G (retired rooted backup)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    For all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted my SGS3!
    Rock Solid and Perfect!
    Paul627g likes this.

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Just got the OTA update the other night. Not much difference really. touchy feely is basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles 135 View Post
    Anybody else notice they cut the camera modes in half like the action shot or motion pictures are both gone.

All of my modes are still there. The keyboard is different and the battery thing is different while charging

Quote Originally Posted by Darnell0216 View Post
    Sprint didn't do much other than add a few extra icons for suggested apps to install and the new 3G/4GLTE icons to match the brand. Those were probably in response to the blandness compared to it's competitors and the previous 4G WiMax. I told support up front I changed my icon to VZW's just because it said LTE then found out this broke Google wallet, LoL.

You can't access Knox directly. It's like parental controls from a bigger parent. In some cases, it even trumps SU permissions which is annoying. I have to find a Knox compatible SQL editor to add my toggles back to Settings.db since SQLite Editor is blocked by Knox. You won't really interact with it much as long as nothing makes it angry. XDA has already found a way to remove Knox.

As mentioned, most of the changes are under the hood for the general populace. You can see a few new apps added to the System layer just by going through your Play Store's installed apps list.
    This helps because I was looking for an icon for KNOX. Similarly, is there no way to access Samsung Gear? I see in application manager it is installed, but there is no icon in the app menu. I also don't have the watch yet, buy for future will it just link up automatically or by "adding" my phone to the watch via the watch?

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Hey family... Ever since I downloaded the new update the lookout security app has been draining my battery like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy is anyone having this same issue?

Sent from my iPad using

Global Posts
    742 Global Posts

Don't have that app but since the update my battery life has been lousy 10-12% an hour from 4-6% an hour (sucks) - also I hate the forced notifications in the pull down notification area for running background apps - these cannot be swiped away or turned off and take up way too much room.... lastly, android is making it harder to move, store apps or files on the SD card - none of Google apps (music, books, magazine etc) allow storage on the exSDcard area.... All downloads are forced to the internal storage and cannot be moved - even the apps that are allowed to be moved don't always work well when they are moved and icons disappear altogether It's clear Google doesn't like external storage cards and are doing away with them (or supporting access to them) what good is a nearly empty 64 gig SD card if Google won't let us store anything on it? Grrrrr.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am having the charging cable issue since the update. Need to reboot to charge. WIFI seems better. It reports more issues and connects cleaner. The security stuff. Knox. I think it wants you to let it phone home or it will drain the phone that first few uses. It pops up a warning about apps. Once it synced with Samsung it stopped popping up. Keyboard and spellchecker way way better. Really happy except what appears to be a driver issue with the charging system.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Don't have that app but since the update my battery life has been lousy 10-12% an hour from 4-6% an hour (sucks) - also I hate the forced notifications in the pull down notification area for running background apps - these cannot be swiped away or turned off and take up way too much room.... lastly, android is making it harder to move, store apps or files on the SD card - none of Google apps (music, books, magazine etc) allow storage on the exSDcard area.... All downloads are forced to the internal storage and cannot be moved - even the apps that are allowed to be moved don't always work well when they are moved and icons disappear altogether It's clear Google doesn't like external storage cards and are doing away with them (or supporting access to them) what good is a nearly empty 64 gig SD card if Google won't let us store anything on it? Grrrrr.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    I agree! Who the hell do they think they are...Apple???!!!
    The whole reason most of us Android fans choose Android is because we like freedom to do what we want on our phones!! And we like more than one damn button! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dev2nsu View Post
    Hey family... Ever since I downloaded the new update the lookout security app has been draining my battery like crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy is anyone having this same issue?

Sent from my iPad using
    Lookout has confirmed the issue and is looking into it. There are several posts about it in reviews and support was quick to acknowledge it's existence when I emailed them about it.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast