Sprint S4: MK2 OTA update today killed WiFi

ajs618592

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: MK2 OTA update today killed WiFi

i was having the same issue with the wi-fi on my sprint galaxy S4 wont work after i did the MK2 update. i had my phone rooted.
i followed the steps above the steps are easy.
First- you will need odin3-v1.85 note! ( you might already have it when you downloaded it to root your phone )
Second- get the firmwares.. xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {12/8/13}
download MJA mirror 1 file and then unzip it anywhere you want.
also download MK2 mirror 1 file and unzip like the first one.
Third Step- open odin3-v.185 run it as administrator (you can see it by doing a right click )
Fourth step- get your phone onto download mode( by powering off then hold vol down and power)
then plug your phone to your computer and odin will detect the phone.
Fifth step- click on PDA and find MJA-modem file where you unzip it
make sure auto reboot is checked on odin.
Sixth step- click start and let it work. after its done it will reboot.
We are almost done! you will need to do the exact steps for MK2-modem file as you did for MJA-modem
get you phone on download mode then click PDA and find MK2-modem and then start.
your phone will reboot once again and that should fix the problem!! it worked for my sprint galaxy s4
HOPE YOU FIND this help full. and thanks to unixpsycho aswell and all the the Team. pass the good work guys.

I followed all these steps. WiFi works in MJA. When I upgrade to MK2, I lose it. Could anyone help please? Thanks!

Last edited:

May 23, 2011
Visit site

i was having the same issue with the wi-fi on my sprint galaxy S4 wont work after i did the MK2 update. i had my phone rooted.
First- you will need odin3-v1.85 note! ( you might already have it when you downloaded it to root your phone )
Second- get the firmwares.. xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIRMWARE][ODIN] All Sprint Firmwares {12/8/13}
Third Step- open odin3-v.185 run it as administrator (you can see it by doing a right click )
Fourth step- get your phone onto download mode( by powering off then hold vol down and power)
We are almost done! you will need to do the exact steps for MK2-modem file as you did for MJA-modem
get you phone on download mode then click PDA and find MK2-modem and then start.
your phone will reboot once again and that should fix the problem!! it worked for my sprint galaxy s4
HOPE YOU FIND this help full. and thanks to unixpsycho aswell and all the the Team. pass the good work guys.
Does it have to be Odin 1.85? I have 3.07. I have the VZW S4, but i was updating my buddies Sprint version and he noticed after getting it back the Wifi wasn't working. So I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't because I used 3.07 instead of 1.85.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

Does it have to be Odin 1.85? I have 3.07. I have the VZW S4, but i was updating my buddies Sprint version and he noticed after getting it back the Wifi wasn't working. So I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't because I used 3.07 instead of 1.85.

I use Odin 3.07. Works fine with GS4.

magoozy21

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Awesome! Pure awesome, thx for this. I am new to rooting and was trying to make the best of sense to all the other above infos, but thanks for the break down for us newbies. Saved my day!

bigjohn164

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

thanks so much it helped me so much and u should post on the other websites and thanks so much it help me ALOT

dzlnitro

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

Ok to make this clear:

I need to use the Stock Recovery to flash the MK2 modem update manually?

Or...Flash MJA and then run the OTA update which will then kill my WiFi...(presumably unroot me as well???)

Lastly, flash the MK2 update and reboot my phone and I'll be done?

This all is done on the stock recovery???

I definitely didn't do it correctly last week because this morning I was prompted for the OTA update

I'm on TWRP 2.6.3 at the moment.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

Ok to make this clear:

I need to use the Stock Recovery to flash the MK2 modem update manually?

Or...Flash MJA and then run the OTA update which will then kill my WiFi...(presumably unroot me as well???)

Lastly, flash the MK2 update and reboot my phone and I'll be done?

This all is done on the stock recovery???

I definitely didn't do it correctly last week because this morning I was prompted for the OTA update

I'm on TWRP 2.6.3 at the moment.

You need to be completely stock when taking MK2 OTA update. No mods or customer recovery. This is why the MK2 OTA is failing for so many people.

You can reflash to MJA via Odin which will put you back to complete stock. Then you can sideload (or wait for the notification) the MK2 OTA update.

dzlnitro

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

You need to be completely stock when taking MK2 OTA update. No mods or customer recovery. This is why the MK2 OTA is failing for so many people.

You can reflash to MJA via Odin which will put you back to complete stock. Then you can sideload (or wait for the notification) the MK2 OTA update.

When you say "complete stock" is that going to kill my Custom Rom? I did a Nandroid back up, so if I do this correctly somehow, can I flash that back after and will it keep the new baseband?

To be honest, this stuff confuses the **** out of me!

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

When you say "complete stock" is that going to kill my Custom Rom? I did a Nandroid back up, so if I do this correctly somehow, can I flash that back after and will it keep the new baseband?

To be honest, this stuff confuses the **** out of me!

If you're running a custom ROM then you should wait for the ROM maintainer to update to MK2, then flash that custom ROM update.

Flashing an official OTA to a custom ROM will most likely always render something broken.

dzlnitro

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site

If you're running a custom ROM then you should wait for the ROM maintainer to update to MK2, then flash that custom ROM update.

Flashing an official OTA to a custom ROM will most likely always render something broken.

Gotcha, so wait on the dev and I should be in business hopefully soon?

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

Gotcha, so wait on the dev and I should be in business hopefully soon?

Yep. Or post in the custom ROM's dev section to see when they will get the update out.

But beware, even custom ROM's might require flashing the baseband and modem firmware updates separately. Hopefully the dev will mention that.

unixpsycho

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site

Reek Will

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

ive done all of the steps to fix the wifi button, but now my mobile data and wifi is not loading any data, it goes off and on throught out the day and is very slow, any suggestions?

Christy sing

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Christy sing

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Hello I'm having the same problem but I have no idea what you guys are talking about if someone can put this into non Tech words would greatly appreciate it!

airportguy2004

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

This post should be moved to the top of this thread . Thanks , it worked perfectly. ANd a big **** you to U sprint for this update , If I wasn't in such a hurry this morning to by my son a crapple product , I would have researched this update.
Thanks again dzlnitro

Base333

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

You were a TREMENDOUS help. I was about to just buy a new phone! I've been toying with my Samsung S4 SPH-L720 ALL day, searching and watching videos.....5 mins after reading this thread, my phone is back to....well MY phone! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski