Home Button problem.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I have a Galaxy S4 for Sprint and have had the 4.3 update for a couple weeks. It was not until recently that when I am on an app (whether it be Internet, Chrome, a mobile game, or anywhere on my phone that is not one of the home screens really) and I press the home Button to exit and go to my main screen instead of going Home my phone opens up the "recently open apps" window where you can swipe them to the side to close them. I know this is something that comes up when you hold the home button. But I just press the home button not hold...still it always seems to bring up the option that comes out when you Hold the Home button. It is really irritating. (It seems this just started happening after the 4.3 update)

Is this a bug in 4.3? Is there something I can switch on or off? Or how can i fix this?

Thanks for any input.

(This is so bothersome that I am thinking of rooting and putting a custom rom on my phone just to remedy the problem)

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Do a battery pull first to see if that helps.

If not, do a factory reset and that might be the end of it.

So far, with 4.3 and the Knox security stuff on the phone I'm not sure about rooting.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Speedy3

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you hold the Home button too long it will take you to the recently open apps or screens. I find myself doing it also.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
If you hold the Home button too long it will take you to the recently open apps or screens. I find myself doing it also.
I think you didn't read the whole post.
His problem is that he just presses the home button, he doesn't hold it for a while.

Speedy3

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I did read his post. I was saying that I too go to that screen when I think I am just pressing the home button for a brief moment. Evidently the phone thinks we are pressing and holding. I has happened to me at least 5 times now. I don't think the battery pull suggestion you gave will help any. and its not that much of a problem "For Me" to do a factory reset.

Lucas Barbosa

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem and it also started after last update (4.3 MKE). Home button is messed up. No matter how I press it, it will often bring me to the recently opened apps list instead of home screen. Stock international i9505.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I did read his post. I was saying that I too go to that screen when I think I am just pressing the home button for a brief moment. Evidently the phone thinks we are pressing and holding. I has happened to me at least 5 times now. I don't think the battery pull suggestion you gave will help any. and its not that much of a problem "For Me" to do a factory reset.

The way you wrote that post it seem otherwise. And yes, I know the battery pull might not work, hence me giving extra advice.
As for your problem, as you said, a factory reset probably isn't necessary since it doesn't happen all the time.

Anyway, I know we're all trying to help in any way we can. I wasn't trying to be rude to anyone.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem and it also started after last update (4.3 MKE). Home button is messed up. No matter how I press it, it will often bring me to the recently opened apps list instead of home screen. Stock international i9505.

Coming to think of it, the OP never said what model of GS4 he owns.
I have the Sprint version for the US and after getting the 4.3 update we already had another firmware update (MK2).

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I see it's your first post here Lucas Barbosa. Welcome to the forums!

Speedy3

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't take that way. I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. I just recently did a battery pull and a factory reset trying to recover a missing file. I had this issue happen before and after the factory reset. That's why I said I didn't think it would work. I'm on this forum everyday to get insightful information and chime in only when I think I can contribute or help someone else with a similar experience. I don't have the time to argue or right to question another forum members post. If i disagree I keep it to myself. Again, I didn't take you post as being rude, but I did feel that I needed to clarify my position and what happened to me in what I thought was similar experience.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
No worries, sorry you couldn't get that file back. And yes is true, there are problems that a battery pull or even a factory reset will not fix.

On the other hand, there are things that get fixed by only restarting the phone! Go figure! 😆

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo