Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP rooting my S4 and enable wifi

hi, my S4 SPH-L720 is still on 4.2.2, with wifi enabled. I've a notification from sprint about upgrading to 4.3, but i'll lose root and wifi if i do that. I've been searching around and found there're methods to root it on 4.3, but i'm not sure about getting wifi enabled again. Could someone please guide me on how to root it AND enable wifi after i'm on 4.3?
    thank you

Default Re: HELP rooting my S4 and enable wifi

Your phone is currently rooted? Is it safe to assume that you didn't flash a custom ROM yet?
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

yes, it's currently rooted, and i didn't flash a custom ROM

If you want your phone updated to 4.3 I would suggest flashing a custom ROM. Not only will it get you the update, it should stop any OTA notifications from coming through. I haven't seen an OTA pop-up in years....lol
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

can i still upgrade to 4.3, root it and re-enable wifi without flashing a custom ROM? if so could you give me some info?

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    If you want your phone updated to 4.3 I would suggest flashing a custom ROM. Not only will it get you the update, it should stop any OTA notifications from coming through. I haven't seen an OTA pop-up in years....lol

Quote Originally Posted by tlp560 View Post
    can i still upgrade to 4.3, root it and re-enable wifi without flashing a custom ROM? if so could you give me some info?
    You'd rather go through all that than simply flash a ROM?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

i've done that to my photon4G long time ago and the ROM I installed was so bad...Took me a while to figure out how to get it back to stock rom...I'm new to this.
    Is there a good ROM I could use for this phone? I'm not asking for a perfect one, but the less bugs the better i remember while looking for rom on my photon, lots of them were "wifi will not work, video player will not work...etc.)
    that's why i'd like to stay on stock, but root and wifi enabled

thanks
    You'd rather go through all that than simply flash a ROM?

I had the Photon 4G too and the ROMs for that device definitely weren't perfect. You can find a lot of good ROMs now and especially for the S4.

Just to clarify, when you say you want wifi enabled do you mean wifi tethering or just the ability to connect via wifi?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

sorry, it's wifi tethering ...i'm already able to connect via wifi
    i did the wifi tethering by following qbking77 video by getting the 2 odexed files online (or something like that and placed them into the system folder. Wondering if i can do the same thing once i'm on 4.3 and rooted.
    I had the Photon 4G too and the ROMs for that device definitely weren't perfect. You can find a lot of good ROMs now and especially for the S4.

Just to clarify, when you say you want wifi enabled do you mean wifi tethering or just the ability to connect via wifi?

It looks like there's a mod to allow native hotspot and tethering: [MOD][Deodex][Odex][MDC][MDL][MF9][MJA]Hotspot Mod - xda-developers
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

could you let me know if i'd need the Deodex,or Odex?
    so for the steps, i'd need to run the official 4.3 upgrade first, then root it (do you have the instruction to root it?), then do the tethering from the url you gave above right?

It looks like there's a mod to allow native hotspot and tethering: [MOD][Deodex][Odex][MDC][MDL][MF9][MJA]Hotspot Mod - xda-developers

I would head over to XDA and pick a 4.3 ROM to flash so you don't even have to update. Then if the ROM doesn't have wifi tether, flash that mod I linked.

if you download a root file explorer and check folder /system/framework/ you'll see either services.odex or services.deodex
    also, you want to check your baseband version and find out what it ends with, if MK (e.g. MK2), then don't download that MOD or you'll get the 'Yellow Brick'. I literally just spent the last 2 days trying (successful) to unbrick a friend of mines phone for this reason.
    Thanked by:
    tlp560 

Global Posts
    8,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by tlp560 View Post
    could you let me know if i'd need the Deodex,or Odex?
    so for the steps, i'd need to run the official 4.3 upgrade first, then root it (do you have the instruction to root it?), then do the tethering from the url you gave above right?
    Not sure if you have already done anything but I agree with VDub. Stay away from the official 4.3 firmware, there is no way to undo it yet. No custom ROMs or hotspot at the moment.

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    tlp560