Oh look, another "Unknown device" thread.

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, add me to the list of frustrated individuals whose phone and pc had a loving relationship once upon a time. Now they're like a bitter couple refusing to speak with each other.

Please read this before suggesting things I've tired already. Don't take this personally, I'm just very irritated at the amount of effort I've put into trying to resolve the issue with nothing to show for it.

1. I've tried different cables.
2. I have verified the usb ports are working. I have verified this by successfully connecting my roommate's note 3 to the computer using THE SAME CABLE that came with my S4. So neither the cable nor the usb ports are the issue.
3. I have taken my phone to a sprint store, and asked if I could connect it to their computer in an attempt to troubleshoot. The phone DID SUCCESSFULLY connect to not just one, but two computers in the store.
4. I went as far as to completely reinstall windows on my computer.
5. I've uninstalled, installed, and reinstalled drivers more times than I care to remember. Official samsung drivers, and even others that have been suggested to work.
6. I've tried Kies
7. I've fiddled with my phone settings as much as possible. Usb debugging on/off. Mock locations on/off. Stay awake on/off. I've played with the hidden usb util you get into by keying in ##3424#. I've even factory reset it.

Now, what the ****? Is it my computer? Is it some lingering conflict of settings on my phone with my computer, or vice versa?

I got my phone in November, and it worked perfectly fine for about a week or so. One day it just decided to stop connecting to my PC. The ******* usb options that appear at the top, the little notification that asks how you want your phone to connect to your computer (mtp or camera), those don't even appear anymore when I connect it to the computer. Nothing happens at all, except a notification on my computer saying that the usb device is not recognized. Sometimes it'll install drivers on a whim. Sometimes these drivers will install successfully, sometimes they'll fail. Even if the drivers do install successfully though, it'll still list it as an unknown device. I would like to point out that this all happened before I updated my phone to 4.3. I had the update downloaded and ready to install, but I had not done it yet. In fact the only reason I even installed it was because I thought it might resolve the issue.

If you have any information you need, please ask me.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Did you restart the PC after installing drivers?
What OS do you have for your PC? Windows? If XP or 7, perhaps the drivers need to have the compatibility changed?

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Restarted my pc after installing drivers, phone as well. Nothing.

I have 7 x64 home premium.

What bothers me is how it just HAPPENED out of the blue. Everything was going completely fine, then bloop! I can't think of anything that I might have done to cause this issue. I didn't really muck about with my phone's more sensitive settings, or the pc's.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am going to be honest, I am not sure either. Every troubleshooting thing I can think of has been done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... not even Samsung knew what to do. It was at that point that I felt lost. Here's hoping someone can figure something that I haven't tried yet. Thanks though.

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah... not even Samsung knew what to do. It was at that point that I felt lost. Here's hoping someone can figure something that I haven't tried yet. Thanks though.

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Don't be shy people, I'm sure one of you must know what to do (he said with wavering optimism).

I'm gonna give Samsung another ring, see if I can get someone different who might be my personal messiah. You know normally I wouldn't be so hellbent on resolving this issue, but when the only way I can get internet at my house (look under "Lives in the *** end of nowhere") is through tethering, we then have a major issue.

EDIT: A thought occurred to me. I may just purchase a BT receiver for my computer to tether that way. inb4 that doesn't work either.

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
So I noticed something potentially interesting while poking around my device manager, and more specifically investigating the "unknown device" listing in it. The device status is listed as "No drivers are installed for this device." Trying to manually point it to where I have Samsung's drivers installed does nothing. All that happens is it tells me that the best driver software for my device is already installed. Even more interesting is if I click on driver details, s window pops up saying "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."

Hope that helps someone figure something out. Oh Samsung was no help btw. Not really mad, not much they can do I suppose.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in my first post that for whatever reason, SOMETIMES AND VERY RARELY will the USB options appear on my phone when I connect it. It'll even say it's connected as a media device, but alas all the computer does is... yup, lists it as an unknown device. So clearly my phone is interested in fixing the relationship, however my computer is refusing to speak to it out of spite. It wants to see my phone squirm and suffer for what it did t-... Oh wait.

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Which Kies do you have? There's Kies and Kies 3 that you can download from Samsung. I personally use Kies 3. Might help. Good luck! Mine did the same problem but I just had a faulty usb cable.

Posted via Android Central App

Jason Creazzo

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, add me to the list of frustrated individuals whose phone and pc had a loving relationship once upon a time. Now they're like a bitter couple refusing to speak with each other.

Please read this before suggesting things I've tired already. Don't take this personally, I'm just very irritated at the amount of effort I've put into trying to resolve the issue with nothing to show for it.

1. I've tried different cables.
2. I have verified the usb ports are working. I have verified this by successfully connecting my roommate's note 3 to the computer using THE SAME CABLE that came with my S4. So neither the cable nor the usb ports are the issue.
3. I have taken my phone to a sprint store, and asked if I could connect it to their computer in an attempt to troubleshoot. The phone DID SUCCESSFULLY connect to not just one, but two computers in the store.
4. I went as far as to completely reinstall windows on my computer.
5. I've uninstalled, installed, and reinstalled drivers more times than I care to remember. Official samsung drivers, and even others that have been suggested to work.
6. I've tried Kies
7. I've fiddled with my phone settings as much as possible. Usb debugging on/off. Mock locations on/off. Stay awake on/off. I've played with the hidden usb util you get into by keying in ##3424#. I've even factory reset it.

Now, what the ****? Is it my computer? Is it some lingering conflict of settings on my phone with my computer, or vice versa?

I got my phone in November, and it worked perfectly fine for about a week or so. One day it just decided to stop connecting to my PC. The ******* usb options that appear at the top, the little notification that asks how you want your phone to connect to your computer (mtp or camera), those don't even appear anymore when I connect it to the computer. Nothing happens at all, except a notification on my computer saying that the usb device is not recognized. Sometimes it'll install drivers on a whim. Sometimes these drivers will install successfully, sometimes they'll fail. Even if the drivers do install successfully though, it'll still list it as an unknown device. I would like to point out that this all happened before I updated my phone to 4.3. I had the update downloaded and ready to install, but I had not done it yet. In fact the only reason I even installed it was because I thought it might resolve the issue.

If you have any information you need, please ask me.

I had this problem with my wife's phone. What I did was put the phone into download (odin) mode (press and hold power+volume down+home button all at the same time)and a warning screen comes up press volume up to continue. Now a green android shows up once on that screen pull the battery out for a few seconds and but it back in and reboot device. That work for me

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem with my wife's phone. What I did was put the phone into download (odin) mode (press and hold power+volume down+home button all at the same time)and a warning screen comes up press volume up to continue. Now a green android shows up once on that screen pull the battery out for a few seconds and but it back in and reboot device. That work for me

Just tried this, nothing =(. Thanks though, it was something I hadn't tried.

geramul

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Got my bluetooth receiver for the computer, phone connected after installing drivers for the receiver. Usb sucks, BT rules. Thanks for trying guys =).

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Sounds likes you got it sorted. I had this issue with my S4 and after trying (unsuccessfully) most of the stuff you listed in the OP it turned out a different USB cord & port fixed it.

I play with my food

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't got it sorted on my own PC running windows 7, however when I plugged in my s4 to another PC it recognized it right away. I work in IT and am pretty familiar with mobile device also. Still not sure why my PC won't recognize it though. This is very frustrating. I tried uninstalling all samsung drivers and that didn't help when it reinstalled them. This sucks.

s0nic

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks. This worked for me. I've had to put my phone in recovery mode in the past, but never for this reason.
I followed your exact instructions. As soon as the S4 brought me to the main recovery menu I immediately popped off the back cover and took out the battery for 5-10 seconds. I then put it back in, booted normally and windows 7 actually started seeing the phone.. I was then able to use pdanet and foxfi for tethering which is why I needed this stupid phone hooked up and working with a windows 7 system (my work laptop). I mostly use linux and os/x for personal use.
I use 3rd party tethering software because I'm on verizon. It looks like I ended up in a sprint forum on here so I just wanted to clarify..

PainterArt

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Just to add another work around though I am still looking for a solution. I have the above problem just happened one day. With the phone connected to the USB cable I was able to use Astro File Manager Locations>Local Network and grab or exchange files that way with my computer even though the computer does not see my phone.

PainterArt

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok I think I figured this out or one possible reason. It worked for me.

The problem is the device name change on your phone in About has change from the last time it was plugged into your computer. I had been playing around and the name had changed from "My Name" (SGH-M919) to "My Name" (SGH-M91.

How I got my computer to recognize my phone over the USB cable and so I could figure out the above name change problem.
On my phone under USB computer connection I changed from Media Device (MTP) to Camera (PTP). (note this may not be necessary). I then restarted (rebooted) my phone while still plugged in with the USB to the computer. Computer is on. As the phone booted up the computer started to install device. In the Device Manager it correctly installed Samsung Mobile USB Composite Device under Universal Serial Bus controllers and under Other Devices it had Samsung_Android with a yellow triangle !. On my phone I changed Camera (PTP) to Media Device (MTP) and my computer installed the correct MTP device driver. Phone can now be seen under Portable Devices in Device Manager and in windows Explorer.

No you probably do not have to do the camera/media device switch. If you change your phones name you and want to connect it to a computer you prior had connected the phone to you can do the reboot the phone while connected to the computer USB trick.

Just to double check my solution. I went back and change my devices name "My Name" (SGH-M919) and connected it back to my computer and the computer recognized it immediately.

I am sure this will make many people happy and keep their hair in their heads though I have lost mine. :)

Ian Farrelly

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Was having the same issue. Tried all of the above (yes I did add the closing bracket when i upgraded to 5.0.1 which wasn't there before). I then cleared out all usb drivers relating to Samsung rebooted the phone and as the Samsung logo appeared I connected it to the pc.
For me new drivers loaded and the pc now can see the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888