Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ericp74#CB
  • 2 Post By theyams
  • 1 Post By jarjarbinks
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy S4: Apps Missing After Kit Kat 4.4.2 OTA Update

Very frustrating to find that after this morning's OTA update I found that I had approximately 30 apps that were missing in action. Not only that, no evdience of these aps in Google Play's 'My apps', free and purchased. Ouch. I could find no pattern with the missing apps, some were even Google (Gmail, Chrome, etc...) Thank goodness for AppBrain.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Default Re: Apps Missing After Kit Kat 4.4.2 OTA Update

did you get them all reinstalled without a hitch? any other issues you been experiencing? I have the OTA update but I am worried to install it. Do you see excessive battery drain? any other issues with messaging not responding?

I received the update this morning & had no issues or missing apps.
    Thanked by 2:
    SAVAGE420 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Reinstall of apps went fine. Battery usage is normal. The only issue I noticed was that messaging was not responding. I could type in a message and see nothing. Verified that keyboard worked in other apps. I then powered the phone down, removed battery, replaced and powered back up. At that point I noticed that the phone began updating apps again, as if the installer hadn't initially finished, even though I received an 'Android update successful' message. Looks like it was optimizing an additional 46 apps. This could have been the apps that I reinstalled, or it could have been the originally missed apps, not sure.

I took the leap and installed the update. So far it's great. No apps missing, no bugs. liking how smooth it is... white notifications are cool.. pretty pleased thus far. Will report any issues as they arise.

I also lost alot of apps, but a restart brought them back

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

The only issue Im having after the update is my battery life. Its gone down 40% in 3 hours with normal use. Compared to the 30-40% I used to get in a 9 hour work day.

Quote Originally Posted by ericp74#CB View Post
    The only issue Im having after the update is my battery life. Its gone down 40% in 3 hours with normal use. Compared to the 30-40% I used to get in a 9 hour work day.
    That is odd. I would check on what app is using up the battery (if any) or if all else fails, do a factory reset. I am on day 2 of the KitKat update and I actually have noticed an increase of battery. My normal work day is 8-5. I unplug at 7:30 and by this time in the day (1:40) my battery would be at 70% with moderate usage and right now I am at 88%. Pretty impressed thus far. Hope you get your battery back to normal!

I also have noticed better battery life, though I've been on Wi-Fi the last couple days without have to search for a 3G/4G signal. I'll see how it goes when I am back in the office where there is no Wi-Fi.

Also, I've noticed that my phone doesn't heat up like it was.

It may have helped that I did a factory reset because when I first updated to 4.4 I got constant "Messaging has stopped" errors.

Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    Reinstall of apps went fine. Battery usage is normal. The only issue I noticed was that messaging was not responding. I could type in a message and see nothing. Verified that keyboard worked in other apps. I then powered the phone down, removed battery, replaced and powered back up. At that point I noticed that the phone began updating apps again, as if the installer hadn't initially finished, even though I received an 'Android update successful' message. Looks like it was optimizing an additional 46 apps. This could have been the apps that I reinstalled, or it could have been the originally missed apps, not sure.
    This. It has been confirmed that for some odd reason, the app optimization takes two boots for many people instead of just one. If you are missing apps, rebooting again will restore most if not all of the missing apps.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Same here. Lost a bunch of apps after the OTA update. But I can't remember what all I had, so that's a bummer. I guess if I can't remember then I really didn't need them. Bah.
    Golfdriver97 and SAVAGE420 like this.

bah. same thing just happened to me. sprint, galaxy s4. a bunch of apps are missing. unfortunately i don't remember exactly which apps i did have. i do know Viber and Kik are missing... nowhere to be found, even in my downloaded apps.... ah well. first world problems.

UPDATE: i reset my phone like someone mentioned upthread -- those apps are now back!! but they're in the "apps" folder, so i have to re-add the icons to my wallpaper/home screens. the only reason i know it worked is that i got an incoming Viber message immediately after restarting my phone.
    Darnell0216 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jarjarbinks View Post
    UPDATE: i reset my phone like someone mentioned upthread -- those apps are now back!! but they're in the "apps" folder, so i have to re-add the icons to my wallpaper/home screens.
    Worked for me too. Updated my wife's S4 and she was going crazy with apps missing. Naturally I got the blame for updating it, anyways the reboot suggestion worked. All her missing apps returned after the reboot.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S4: Apps Missing After Kit Kat 4.4.2 OTA Update

No trace of the missing apps and no apparent way to get them back!