Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint Galaxy S4 KitKat update

To get in manually Go to frameworks on applications and clear it ,then go back to system updates.You might need to do it a few times in my case 3 times but got the update manually with out downloading anything.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-22-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Global Posts
    742 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy s4 kit kat update

Coincidence? I got it last night - wasn't even.looking for it. ;-) - great update - smooth, fast. Way better battery life!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Jimmy Walker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RichF27 View Post
    Yeah but also heard this could mess your phone up.

Unleashed From My Galaxy S4
    It can and will. Wait for the update or wait for a download link and install it manually.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid

Quote Originally Posted by Darnell0216 View Post
    It can and will. Wait for the update or wait for a download link and install it manually.
    it can and will? How so? i've been told be many people to do this and it causes no issues! Please elaborate!

Quote Originally Posted by shaneontherocks View Post
    it can and will? How so? i've been told be many people to do this and it causes no issues! Please elaborate!
    All I've noticed it doing is basically turning off location services on the phone and when an app requires it later on it gives you the option to turn them back on. I'll add a "so far" and knock on wood that's all it does to the phone lol

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by shaneontherocks View Post
    Well I should say it's not going to brick it, but it can cause software problems as confirmed by a Google Dev. A quick search will turn up the article which was posted on several android sites.

Well I should say it's not going to brick it, but it can cause software problems as confirmed by a Google Dev. A quick search will turn up the article which was posted on several android sites.
    found this article and based off the info, not too worried about it but I do appreciate the heads up!

- - - Updated - - -

found this article and based off the info, not too worried about it but I do appreciate the heads up!
    http://www.talkandroid.com/185088-google-engineer-explains-why-you-shouldnt-clear-google-services-framework-data/
    Darnell0216 likes this.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

I cleared my framework 1 time this afternoon and 4.4.2 was ready to go. I installed it and did a factory reset on my phone and it works just fine.

Also I noticed I went into the Sprint Zone app, clicked on my device then Dashboard and it showed that I had a device software update ready to download. when it would not download the normal way that 's when I cleared the framework and got 4.4.2 and again my phone works amazing! it feels like it just came right out of the box all new and shiny.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

It shows the same in my sprint zone app but I can't get the update..... I guess I must just wait

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Still waiting for my update, seriously getting frustrated.

I don't have that kind of patience, lol. Downloaded it directly from Google and installed manually a week ago.

Think I might need to do that. Can u supply me with a link?

Wait until it's done! It's still cooking!

Think I might need to do that. Can u supply me with a link?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...ml#post3452674

Can anyone help with this one? I had a stock (MF9 I believe) and just had root access. I did the OTA and have lost WIFI. I'd lost it before when I did the MF9 update and manually flashed the modem using ODIN. I tried doing the same thing (to reinstall the modem) but to no avail. I try to push the wifi quick link and from the settings and it quickly turns back off. HELP!

I could not be more excited all the hype and waiting for Kit Kat to arrive got the update in Massachusetts today and after using it for 2 hours other than the battery icon being white instead of Android green what changed? Everything including speed, menus and so on seem the same to me. I don't get what all the post's with people so anxious to get this update is all about, if you have not got it yet I would not lose any sleep waiting.

Default Re: Sprint Galaxy S4 KitKat update

Finally, a realist....

Quote Originally Posted by D.P.G. View Post

I could not be more excited all the hype and waiting for Kit Kat to arrive got the update in Massachusetts today and after using it for 2 hours other than the battery icon being white instead of Android green what changed? Everything including speed, menus and so on seem the same to me. I don't get what all the post's with people so anxious to get this update is all about, if you have not got it yet I would not lose any sleep waiting.
    Biggest is the RAM optimization imo

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Still waiting for the update for my Sprint GS4 almost 2 weeks after the supposed release. I know it doesn't matter, but I'm in Northern NJ. Bought my phone last August. Seems strange that all the phones haven't been notified yet. Sprint Zone app says I'm out of date but System Update disagrees...

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

Just got an email from Sprint suggesting I check for updates often to keep my GS4 running smooth and fast. I'm trying Sprint! But you haven't decided to allow me to have the update yet!

Finally got the update 6 am this morning as I was getting ready for work.

how is the battery life for you? Is android system and android os draining your battery like its doing others?

Got an email from Sprint to update, I said YES and automatically my phone started updating to KitKat. Took about 30 minutes for the whole process, then got the bad news, more than 20 programs were missing, including Google Voice, which surprised me. It took me 3 hours to identify all the missing programs and then reinstall. My greatest fear was programs I had purchased and would have to deal with getting the developer to resolve it. Surprise, after installing the programs, I guess the framework was still there, but they acted just like they did before. I am back to normal, although a couple of programs that got deleted are no longer available or I can't find them.

Nothing about the upgrade jumps out at me, I guess I need to go and read the new features to see what I am getting. I need more time, but it does appear there is less battery drain.

I guess the wait is over for me, when is 5.0 coming out? I want it now!

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Finally got the update 6 am this morning as I was getting ready for work.

Still waiting for me

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

Question Re: Sprint Galaxy S4 KitKat update

It tried to update last Saturday, but froze at 9%. It tried again Monday, but froze at 25%. Any idea why this is happening?

Also, I am assuming the need for an upgrade is why I can't play fb videos, lost contact pictures and a few other things (that I can't remember right now). Is that correct?

Battery seems good. The one thing I did notice is my wifi is a bit better.

Oh wow. I'm jealous. Android System is really hammering my battery. It's always @ 20% on the battery meter. Android OS is always @ 9%. In jelly bean android system and OS were never over 6%...and that's both of them combined. I don't know what is causing them to keep the phone up like that. I did a factory reset and that didn't fix the problem @ all. Smh. I don't know what to do to stop the drainage

Quote Originally Posted by dllebandroid View Post
    Oh wow. I'm jealous. Android System is really hammering my battery. It's always @ 20% on the battery meter. Android OS is always @ 9%. In jelly bean android system and OS were never over 6%...and that's both of them combined. I don't know what is causing them to keep the phone up like that. I did a factory reset and that didn't fix the problem @ all. Smh. I don't know what to do to stop the drainage
    My biggest battery hog is the screen, either on auto or set to the dimmest setting it stays at a constant 35% or higher

Quote Originally Posted by hardrocker89 View Post
    My biggest battery hog is the screen, either on auto or set to the dimmest setting it stays at a constant 35% or higher

Thats great. Thats completely normal. Just as long as android system isn't waking your phone, then everything is working well for you....im jealous lol, because the only problem i have is the battery drain Android system and android OS is causing to happen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast