Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Closed smart cover keeps alarm clock from sounding on Sprint GS4 after Kitkat update.

I reported this bug to Google, but they sent me an email and said to tell Samsung. I've had no luck contacting Samsung about it.

BUG: The alarm clock will not sound while the smart cover is closed.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 (Carrier-SPRINT, Model#- SPH-L720)

Android Version: 4.4.2 (Kitkat)

Accessory: MOKO smart folio cover (third party aftermarket)

Bug Description: The alarm clock will not sound while the "smart cover" is closed. If the smart cover is closed when the alarm is set to go off, the phone will act as if you "snoozed" the alarm. If the cover is still closed when the "snooze" interval has timed out, it will again fail to sound. If the cover is opened during a "snooze" interval (and left open), the alarm will sound when the "snooze" interval has timed out. The alarm seems to function as intended when the smart cover is not used and when the smart cover is left open. This bug makes it impossible to rely on the phone for reminders while the smart cover is closed in your pocket (like a reminder to take medication, for instance), and you have to remember to leave the cover open at night if you rely on it to wake you in the morning.

Steps to Duplicate the problem:
    1) Set an alarm to sound a few minutes from now. Set it to have a short duration snooze interval.
    2) CLOSE the smart cover and make sure the SCREEN is powered down (phone still on, but sleeping).
    3) Wait for the time the alarm was set to sound. The alarm will fail to sound.
    4) I you wait until AFTER the minute that the alarm was set to sound and then open the cover, you will see that the alarm icon (snooze notification) is now in the notification bar. If the cover remains open the alarm will sound at the end of the designated snooze interval. If you do not open the cover, the alarm will again fail to sound.

IN SHORT, A CLOSED SMART COVER CAUSES THE PHONE TO REACT AS IF YOU SWIPED "SNOOZE" WHEN THE ALARM SHOULD SOUND, BOTH AT THE INITIAL ALARM TIME AND SUBSEQUENT SNOOZE INTERVALS.

The alarm function on the phone operated correctly when using the smart cover prior to the Android KITKAT update. I do not believe the this issue is related to the fact that the cover is a third party aftermarket accessory since the smart cover seems to function properly in all other respects and there were no related issues prior the KITKAT update.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Default Re: Closed smart cover keeps alarm clock from sounding on Sprint GS4 after Kitkat update.

A guess: In the settings for Motion, do you have Mute/Pause enabled? If yes, then disable/uncheck it, and see if the alarm will now work with the smart cover is closed. I'm not suggesting this is really a solution to the problem, though it may be sort of a workaround.