SOLVED: Requesting Access to Gmail/Picasa when opening Gallery after KitKat update?

NellieRose

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had a notification of request to access your Gmail account when opening the Gallery after the KitKat update? The request screen shows the icon I used for the Google account alongside the Gallery icon & reads:

"Gallery would like to:
Picasa Web Albums"

With the following disclaimer just above the Cancel/OK button:
"By continuing, you allow this app and Google to use your information in accordance with their respective terms of service and privacy policies."

No other info is given. Anyone know what this is about? I am assuming Google is looking to access my photos.

ETA: SOLVED 4/9/2014
The phone was trying to sync Picasa photos in the Gallery. This was confusing because I have never used Picasa was after disabling the repetitive attempted syncing, the problem has been resolved.

Settings > Accounts > Google > You@gmail dot com > uncheck Sync Picasa Web Albums

If you have Picasa albums showing in your Gallery and would like to remove them, after the above steps, go to Application Manager > Gallery > Clear Cache

Last edited:

hodsgod

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had a notification of request to access your Gmail account when opening the Gallery after the KitKat update? The request screen shows the icon I used for the Google account alongside the Gallery icon & reads:

"Gallery would like to:
Picasa Web Albums"

With the following disclaimer just above the Cancel/OK button:
"By continuing, you allow this app and Google to use your information in accordance with their respective terms of service and privacy policies."

No other info is given. Anyone know what this is about? I am assuming Google is looking to access my photos.

ETA: SOLVED 4/9/2014
The phone was trying to sync Picasa photos in the Gallery. This was confusing because I have never used Picasa was after disabling the repetitive attempted syncing, the problem has been resolved.

Settings > Accounts > Google > You@gmail dot com > uncheck Sync Picasa Web Albums

If you have Picasa albums showing in your Gallery and would like to remove them, after the above steps, go to Application Manager > Gallery > Clear Cache

Many thanks, I now don't have the problem.

chick-droid

May 7, 2014
Visit site
That did not solve my problem. Even with the sync options unchecked, I still get frequent messages to link my gallery to Picasa. Any other ideas?

goutgrec

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Something must have changed. I am unable to locate the place to unsync Picasa albums in the dashboard. I've never had a Picasa album so there seems to be an issue with Picasa not showing up.

Any ideas? The steps outlined above do not seem to apply to the current google set up, or at least I'm unable to locate the sequence of screens. When I search for help there is no info. TIA

Bob Ashenbrenner

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 GMAIL accounts. My primary account has a sync option for photos. My second email account does not show a sync option for photos. Yet, I get prompted at least 3 times a day for "Sign-In Permission". I cancel this each time (there is no "don't ask again"), and there are no sync options to select or deselect this for a second account. Has anyone seen and solved this?

My current option with 4.4.2 is to either accept this (which I do not want) or be nagged 3 times a day forever.

hroberts89436

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have 2 GMAIL accounts. My primary account has a sync option for photos. My second email account does not show a sync option for photos. Yet, I get prompted at least 3 times a day for "Sign-In Permission". I cancel this each time (there is no "don't ask again"), and there are no sync options to select or deselect this for a second account. Has anyone seen and solved this?

My current option with 4.4.2 is to either accept this (which I do not want) or be nagged 3 times a day forever.

Bob, Did you ever find a resolution for this? I have the same issue with my S5, I have 20+ email addresses attached to my phone and these are very annoying popping up numerous times a day. I have reset my device per Samsung still no help. I can find no way to reach google to report or get assistance on this issue.

Beanut

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue w/ my Galaxy S5 active which started when I added the second gmail account. I followed all the directions with no luck. But then I went into the other google account and it did show the Picasa sync. I had to deselect it in order to fix the error I kept getting for the other account. It appears that if one account is syncing, then both accounts want to sync. Hope this helps for those that have multiple accounts.

Gareth Rhys

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I also have multiple Gmail accounts on Galaxy S5/KitKat 4.4, and Android is every day prompting me for permission to synchronise.

I simply cannot accept the sync message, as this would potentially sync all my personal photos in Gallery also into a Gmail reserved for use with a Scout Group which I absolutely do not want to do ( I only sync email, contacts, and calendar) , and causes a privacy issue. I am concerned that because it prompts 3 times a day it might do this inadvertently if I tap rather than swipe away. If I start Picasa, and look at settings, only my personal Gmail account is listed. I have un-ticked the sync in (never synced as no permissions ever given) on the other two Gmail accounts than my personal GMail account which has always synced perfectly well via Google (Picasa) on my previous phone Galaxy S3/Gingerbread Android.

With no resolution, I am simply going to have to stop using Google and use Dropbox instead I guess..which is singe account.
My final test is to copy all photos from Google across to Dropbox for safety and try the clear data/clear cache options..

kccasey

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone been able to find the answer to this problem when having multiple accounts setup on your phone?

I have 4 Google accounts set up on my phone one account is my main primary account that I have everything checked marked to sync with my phone which is fine. However the other three accounts that I have set up, I only have them set to sync just Gmail.

Just like the original poster, and apparently a bunch of other people, I have the same problem. Everytime I go into gallery to access my pictures, I get prompted for access permissions to my Picasa albums for my other Gmail accounts. I hate this. And I don't have the boxes check mark and the other three accounts sync options for the Google accounts. There has to be some kind of fix for this. I had the same issue on my note 3.

The phone I had before the note 3, the Galaxy S 4, only asked me these same questions for my other accounts once. And that was when I initially set the account up on the phone. After they asked me once, I declined, and never saw the request again.

I do realize this issue someone stems from the fact of having multiple accounts set up on a single device. I do want my Picasa albums for just my one Google account to sync with the Gallery app.

It would be nice to be able to delete pictures out of Picasa albums from gallery.

So what is the fix for this? Searching in the Google forums for the answer is very daunting.

Last edited:

skb1963

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I just had the problem after adding another gmail account.

Settings -> Accounts -> Google ->

In the list of accounts, you can click each account and scroll down to the very bottom where is says "Sync Picasa Web albums" and make sure it is unchecked. Do this for each account that is giving you the problems.

ivocanevo

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: (SOLVED for some) Requesting Access to Gmail/Picasa when opening Gallery after KitKat update?

I just had the problem after adding another gmail account.

Settings -> Accounts -> Google ->

In the list of accounts, you can click each account and scroll down to the very bottom where is says "Sync Picasa Web albums" and make sure it is unchecked. Do this for each account that is giving you the problems.

Someone already suggested that, but for some of us this no longer works; that checkbox is gone since an update.

And so we still get multiple notifications a day that won't go away.

This is an unacceptable bug. Not just because of inconvenience, but privacy.

For me it means that one wrong move and I'll be syncing hundreds of racy photos to an account owned and managed by my (sensitive) employer.

Last edited:

iceman3012

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
facing the same issue on my new Note 4. I have 3 google accounts.. one of them is primary (sync to all services), the other two only sync for email. Checked the same in accounts as well as gallery settings but keep getting frequent messages asking for permission to sign-in using the two secondary accounts. Has anyone found a solution yet?

gingermorgan

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I had just switched to T-mobile and have the Galaxy Note 4 and was having the same issues. I tried all of the above things that others said to do but still received several messages a day about the syncing of Picasa to each gmail account.

Finally I figured out what to do to stop getting these notifications.

First, I went into the Gmail settings and Removed all of the extra accounts and only left my primary account that had synced just fine with Picasa.

Next, I went to the Email App and used it to set up all of my other Gmail accounts and any other accounts that I had like hotmail or yahoo. Do Not Set-up your extra Gmail Accounts in the Gmail App. Set them up in the Email App.

After setting them all up using the Email App I have not gotten anymore notifications of authentication to Picasa for those accounts. I still get all my emails coming to my phone but I only have 1 account in the Gmail App and all my others in the Email App.

I hope this will help anyone else having this same issue as I know how frustrating it was for me!

Best of Luck!
Ginger

theandrosity101

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
This works for me, but I'm hearing that this check box is not available on some phones. I'm using a Note 3, so the fix in this thread world for me. Maybe the ss helps...? Good luck everyone!

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-19-09-50-37-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-19-09-50-37-1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 8

Jeff Learman

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem in Lollipop on my S5.

I have two gmail accounts, one of which I want to use with my phone, and one which I don't (it's my spam collector etc.) No photos there, nothing on Drive, nothing of interest.

The picasa sync checkbox is present and unchecked (as are all sync boxes for this account), yet I still keep getting requests from Gallery to authenticate to the undesired account. I think I may have fixed it by going to Google Drive accounts settings and removing the undesired account. We'll see! It warned me that I'd be removing all content related to this email account from my phone, which is exactly what I wanted.

Jeff

lilyops

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
This worked once upon a time, but something changed after an update. Even with all but one of my 6 Google accounts set to only sync Gmail, I was still getting Gallery / Picasa Web Albums log-in prompts multiple times a day. This morning, I couldn't dismiss the prompts anymore. Swiping them away didn't work, opening and choosing cancel didn't either. I had to figure out how to get rid of them once and for all.

I long-pressed one of the notifications and saw a "settings" cog. Clicking that took me to the Google Play app, not Gallery. As soon as I unchecked "Show Notifications" in Google Play, the messages disappeared!

I've opened the Gallery app several times and the log in notifications seem to be gone for good.

Hope this helps!

Richard Ramirez2

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I am having this issue with the gallery asking for access when accessing my pictures on the phone but I don't have any of my accounts synced to my phone. The image you show is also not viewing. Do I need to snyc and then unsync? I don't want pictures being uploaded to Picassa.