Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hodsgod
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SOLVED: Requesting Access to Gmail/Picasa when opening Gallery after KitKat update?

Has anyone had a notification of request to access your Gmail account when opening the Gallery after the KitKat update? The request screen shows the icon I used for the Google account alongside the Gallery icon & reads:

"Gallery would like to:
    Picasa Web Albums"

With the following disclaimer just above the Cancel/OK button:
    "By continuing, you allow this app and Google to use your information in accordance with their respective terms of service and privacy policies."

No other info is given. Anyone know what this is about? I am assuming Google is looking to access my photos.

ETA: SOLVED 4/9/2014
    The phone was trying to sync Picasa photos in the Gallery. This was confusing because I have never used Picasa was after disabling the repetitive attempted syncing, the problem has been resolved.

Settings > Accounts > Google > You@gmail dot com > uncheck Sync Picasa Web Albums

If you have Picasa albums showing in your Gallery and would like to remove them, after the above steps, go to Application Manager > Gallery > Clear Cache
    Last edited by NellieRose; 04-09-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    Thanked by:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: SOLVED: Requesting Access to Gmail/Picasa when opening Gallery after KitKat update?

SOLVED

Default Re: SOLVED: Requesting Access to Gmail/Picasa when opening Gallery after KitKat update?

Quote Originally Posted by NellieRose View Post
    Has anyone had a notification of request to access your Gmail account when opening the Gallery after the KitKat update? The request screen shows the icon I used for the Google account alongside the Gallery icon & reads:

"Gallery would like to:
    Picasa Web Albums"

With the following disclaimer just above the Cancel/OK button:
    "By continuing, you allow this app and Google to use your information in accordance with their respective terms of service and privacy policies."

No other info is given. Anyone know what this is about? I am assuming Google is looking to access my photos.

ETA: SOLVED 4/9/2014
    The phone was trying to sync Picasa photos in the Gallery. This was confusing because I have never used Picasa was after disabling the repetitive attempted syncing, the problem has been resolved.

Settings > Accounts > Google > You@gmail dot com > uncheck Sync Picasa Web Albums

If you have Picasa albums showing in your Gallery and would like to remove them, after the above steps, go to Application Manager > Gallery > Clear Cache
    Many thanks, I now don't have the problem.
    NellieRose likes this.

That did not solve my problem. Even with the sync options unchecked, I still get frequent messages to link my gallery to Picasa. Any other ideas?

Something must have changed. I am unable to locate the place to unsync Picasa albums in the dashboard. I've never had a Picasa album so there seems to be an issue with Picasa not showing up.

Any ideas? The steps outlined above do not seem to apply to the current google set up, or at least I'm unable to locate the sequence of screens. When I search for help there is no info. TIA

I have 2 GMAIL accounts. My primary account has a sync option for photos. My second email account does not show a sync option for photos. Yet, I get prompted at least 3 times a day for "Sign-In Permission". I cancel this each time (there is no "don't ask again"), and there are no sync options to select or deselect this for a second account. Has anyone seen and solved this?

My current option with 4.4.2 is to either accept this (which I do not want) or be nagged 3 times a day forever.

Awesome. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ashenbrenner View Post
    I have 2 GMAIL accounts. My primary account has a sync option for photos. My second email account does not show a sync option for photos. Yet, I get prompted at least 3 times a day for "Sign-In Permission". I cancel this each time (there is no "don't ask again"), and there are no sync options to select or deselect this for a second account. Has anyone seen and solved this?

My current option with 4.4.2 is to either accept this (which I do not want) or be nagged 3 times a day forever.
    Bob, Did you ever find a resolution for this? I have the same issue with my S5, I have 20+ email addresses attached to my phone and these are very annoying popping up numerous times a day. I have reset my device per Samsung still no help. I can find no way to reach google to report or get assistance on this issue.

Had the same issue w/ my Galaxy S5 active which started when I added the second gmail account. I followed all the directions with no luck. But then I went into the other google account and it did show the Picasa sync. I had to deselect it in order to fix the error I kept getting for the other account. It appears that if one account is syncing, then both accounts want to sync. Hope this helps for those that have multiple accounts.

I also have multiple Gmail accounts on Galaxy S5/KitKat 4.4, and Android is every day prompting me for permission to synchronise.

I simply cannot accept the sync message, as this would potentially sync all my personal photos in Gallery also into a Gmail reserved for use with a Scout Group which I absolutely do not want to do ( I only sync email, contacts, and calendar) , and causes a privacy issue. I am concerned that because it prompts 3 times a day it might do this inadvertently if I tap rather than swipe away. If I start Picasa, and look at settings, only my personal Gmail account is listed. I have un-ticked the sync in (never synced as no permissions ever given) on the other two Gmail accounts than my personal GMail account which has always synced perfectly well via Google (Picasa) on my previous phone Galaxy S3/Gingerbread Android.

With no resolution, I am simply going to have to stop using Google and use Dropbox instead I guess..which is singe account.
    My final test is to copy all photos from Google across to Dropbox for safety and try the clear data/clear cache options..