Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best way to root a 4.3 Sprint S4 (sph-LH20)? Trying to retrieve deleted photos...

Hello everyone.

I own a Spring S4 running Android 4.3. The model number is SPH-LH20

I recently deleted some photos off of my S4 and need them back.

I have read that the only way to do this is to root my phone and then use either a photo retrieval tool, or an app like diskdigger. I have read this is needed bc we do not have access to USB mass storage and USB Debug on the stock phone. So what is the easiest and most importantly SAFEST way to root the phone? Optimally, I would like to root it, get the photos back, and then unroot it back to stock right after.

Can you guys please guide me on how to do this?

Also, I was thinking, since the photos are not really deleted off my microSD card (as far as I now when I hit delete on my S4 they were only marked as deleted, not actually deleted off the card) would it be possible to simply insert my card into another phone that does have USB mass storage and do this? Or better yet just use an adaptor and put the card directly into my PC?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Best way to root a 4.3 Sprint S4 (sph-LH20)? Trying to retrieve deleted photos...

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Best way to root a 4.3 Sprint S4 (sph-LH20)? Trying to retrieve deleted photos...

Thank you. Is this a pretty safe rooting method to use? I was reading the comments and it seemed to not work for a lot of people

Global Posts
    22,240 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by vgmasterx View Post
    Thank you. Is this a pretty safe rooting method to use? I was reading the comments and it seemed to not work for a lot of people
    Not sure myself. The guy who does the site overall puts out quality work. I would check for a root method that covers the baseband version you are on.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

ROM
    stock

If the photos are/were on your SD card, you do *NOT* need to root your phone. Just take out the SD card, use an SD adaptor so that your computer can read the card, & use a recovery tool (such as testdisk or photorec) installed on your computer.